Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    What's the hoohah about low-wattage? Are they just quieter and cooler?

You'll never make a Planeteer. Oh, god, Level 1 ear-bash returns to mem!

They're cheaper to run over the course of their lifetime, even though modern cards adjust themselves when you're not pushing 'em. Low-noise is my priority.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Bah… Just joined the PC master-race myself too. The cheapo 400gig  SSD tipped me over the edge. 

Got a mini itx with a GTX 760 from ebuyer. 

Spoiler:
    Should work under the plasma tv jobbie. Hopefully.. Don't really want to add a fancy monitor on top too but we'll see how it goes. Managed to stop myself from getting  sodding water cooled CPU cooler but it was a close one. Sweet jesus…. I'd forgotten how daft gaming PCs were. 

Been a while since I've done the high stress Lego fun of putting together a whole load of bits. 

All the Titanfall chatter got me thinking. Ultra res and 60fps here we go!
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • TF2 and Dota 2 should be early ports of call. And don't forget the B&B Steam group.
  • I've never seen you on Dota, when are you hopping on to get torn apart by the evil Russian GG crew?
  • Hello Tempy. I'm not a huge player myself, as it looks a little bit like divorce material to me. I'd get terribly addicted to something like that, but I've done all the training and had a few bot matches. I might pop on and say hello soon when I summon the courage.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Having a creaking old Macbook Pro and a Steam catalogue full of games that I couldn't really think of pushing also tipped me over. 

Will try to fiddle about with the Steam group a bit more now I have am ability to actually run stuff in something more than 640x480… DOTA2 always sounds impenetrable and full of angry team mates irate at the fact I haven't fizzled the plipoppetron an with the correctly timed mega-sploop of the character I've inadvertently chosen. Feels like a boat that has hit full steam and not easy to get onboard from zero by now?

My MOBA skills stop at ~6.8mins of Awesomenauts on the 360. I was confused… It apparently is much more fun knowing that you're clicking real people dead? I do have DOTA 2 in the library so may well get addicted in time.

A Civ 5  game that doesn't stutter to a infuriating crawl after 100 odd turns will be enough to get me going. True next gen right there.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I can't for fuck install this RF shield correctly. When I think I have it in place it stops the motherboard from lining up with the case bolts.

It has these stupid sticky inward bits over all the holes that are a pain too.
  • What the blue fuck is an RF shield?
  • Oh I see. Never bothered with one of those. Do you actually need it?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Oh I was using an odd term. The shitty plate that comes with the motherboards for the case. Fixed it now after a good push.

Right. Screwing it in, I'm probably being paranoid but I can use the metal screws for the motherboard to the case right?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Oh I see. Never bothered with one of those. Do you actually need it?

Apparently stops radio interference so might as well I guess. I'm not exactly a high earner so no risks.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Oh I was using an odd term. The shitty plate that comes with the motherboards for the case. Fixed it now after a good push. Right. Screwing it in, I'm probably being paranoid but I can use the metal screws for the motherboard to the case right?

Yes you can. Make sure you ground yourself by touching radiators frequently and the most important thing is the manual that came with the mobo. That'll tell you exactly where to put what, especially those tricky wires to power the fans and any LEDs.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Are LEDS in any way essential? I always thought of them like the under mounted neons on boy racer jobbies.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Sorry i'm gushing questions. A tad nervous. Fearing/excited for the first power button press.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Are LEDS in any way essential? I always thought of them like the under mounted neons on boy racer jobbies.

No, they're just power lights and things for the casing.
  • Fuck leds they are pure shit.
    No fans, leds, etc are essential unless they are in sequence with something else you need, for example there will likely be an led linked to the power button but those light up sides can be left.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Sorry i'm gushing questions. A tad nervous. Fearing/excited for the first power button press.

Have a cold beer handy.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Right, motherboard fitted with processor, ram and GPU (and screwed in). Time for connectors.

Also time for cider. Good idea.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    My case has four fans but there's only three plugs for fans on the motherboard. One is already taken by the heat sink, the other two should be the ones closest to the CPU I suppose?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    This is kind fun actually, like a jigsaw that will play Titanfall.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    My case has four fans but there's only three plugs for fans on the motherboard. One is already taken by the heat sink, the other two should be the ones closest to the CPU I suppose?

Three fans is excessive for the Nvidia card you're using. I only use one with my 670, and that's at the top back. I'd put at least one of the fans near the top of the case, as that's where the heat builds up. With a card like yours it's arguable if you need any fans at all except the stock one for the cpu.
  • There's probably some shit in the Koran forbidding you anyway. If it's Titanfall you're thinking about then Xbox Live makes it a decent choice for forumites.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Had a mare with my heat sink as I hadn't fit the plastic screws properly. Fell a short distance onto the motherboard and the processor is covered in paste. Which I take it is ok. Just about to power it on. Gack. Found it an issue getting power cables for all the hardware and I'm short a slot on the PSU for the HDD so I'm leaving that out for now.
  • The processor should be covered in paste, yes.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Well it powered up alright. But nothing appears on the monitor after ten minutes. Not for VGA or HDMI. Nothing. I'm at a loss.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Ah, I was plugging it into the motherboard. Silly me. Well I certainly make enough mistakes to learn from.
  • Strange. Are you sure you've plugged the hdmi cable into the back of the gfx card?
  • Boring Windows install next.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!