Let's make a gaming PC
  • Muse, post current specs and we'll see what is salvageable? We can recommend parts from there.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • MuseChick wrote:
    My current PC is super old, frankenstein mess of a set up (mostly everything in there is over 6 years old) and I'd really like to build something better. I've only built one PC before but that was back in the early 2000s so I really have no clue what I'm looking at now.  I don't need anything top spec, I'm not a huge PC gamer but I'd like it to be able to handle the basics and some lite gaming well (mine is barely doing that atm). I'm not sure how much of my old PC can be salvaged, probably none of it apart from maybe the hard drives but I've got a budget of around 300. Any advice would be welcome!

£300 is a bit of a tough budget, but depending on what components you already have you might be able put something decent together. Let us know what you already have, I would hazard a guess that the primary components (CPU, mobo, RAM) will be somewhat obsolete, but you might be able to reuse some stuff, in particular the case, hard drives and the PSU. The make, model and wattage of the PSU will be useful.

Here is what I would recommend -

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£84.78 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£89.99 @ Box Limited)
    Memory: Patriot - Viper 4 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£55.90 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£57.96 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: Cooler Master - MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£53.36 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £341.99
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-22 10:38 GMT+0000

Would be £288 without the PSU. That's an APU system, so it's using onboard graphics from within the CPU. Peformance won't be spectacular, but it will at least allow you to play most things, and older/esports/graphically simple games will run just fine. And there is an excellent upgrade path with Ryzen, all the way up to an 8 core beast with that motherboard. New 7nm Ryzen CPUs will be coming this year which are looking like they will be a major upgrade over this generation, exciting!

Settings and resolution will be waay down, but it is at least possible to actually play something like Apex Legends with the 2200G -

8GB of RAM is kind of the minimum these days, so I would keep in mind a future upgrade of an additional 8GB. If you don't already have one, then the SSD is essential IMO. As long as the case you have is ATX compatible, it should be reusable.

The other potiential option would be going for used parts which can save a ton of money. I've been happy to go for used stuff a number of times before, but not everybody wants the hassle, and you can end up wasting money if you don't know what you are doing. Let me know if that's something you might consider and I can figure out the best used options. I feel like going for a Ryzen system makes a ton of sense now though, as the platform is up to date, and the upgrade path is solid.
  • Oh, a ryzen based rig!
    Good suggestions Gurt!
  • Also keep an eye out for little deals and promos such as this - https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/amd-ryzen-3-2200g-vega-graphics-cooler-free-division2-game-sell-game-for-25-8999-ocuk-870-del-for-non-ocuk-forum-members-3183463

That kind of thing will help you claw back some pennies to spend on a GPU or something eventually.
  • MuseChick
    Show networks
    Twitter
    MuseChick
    Xbox
    MuseChick
    PSN
    MuseChick
    Steam
    musechick

Send message
    Gurt you're a superstar! And yes I had suspected 300 may be tough so I've got a little more in the budget if needed. Will report back on what I've got already as soon as I get the chance.
  • No probs. Will be good to know some examples of the games you're wanting to play too, as well as other things like video editing/3D/music etc which might be relevant. Like for video editing for example you would definitely be wanting more RAM. If you could stretch the budget further that is one area where I would probably spend more actually, getting 16GB straight away saves the hassle of trying to find another matching set of 8GB later on. But it really depends on what you want to do.
  • MuseChick
    Show networks
    Twitter
    MuseChick
    Xbox
    MuseChick
    PSN
    MuseChick
    Steam
    musechick

Send message
    Definitely wouldn't hurt to be able to edit on here as I rely on my slightly elderly Macbook atm. 

So I've got an Intel Core i5 760 and apparently 4 GB of RAM. I don't even know what's in here myself as I didn't build it. It was thrown together by my ex's brother in a hurry from bits he had lying around. I really don't think any of it is gonna be useable, I'm not going to keep the case as even that is a mess and I'd like something that looks at least a little bit pretty.
  • That Ryzen APU looks really impressive.
    Really hoping AMD can improve even more on this in the near future.
    That pricepoint is insane.
  • Well the world's your oyster in terms of case aesthetics, tempered glass and RGB is very popular so I've heard. Otherwise I would probably just recommend something by Fractal.

Yeah the i5/mobo and RAM should be sold, does it have some kind of GPU in there though? And if the PSU is solid you might be able to reuse that. Take a pic if you like and I can probably identify if there's anything worth salvaging.

If video editing is something you are serious about then 16GB of RAM is probably a must. More cores would be nice too, though then you are stepping into much more expensive territory as you would probably want a dedicated graphics card. I think some of AMD's new CPUs this year will be 6/8 cores with integrated graphics which is cool, but for now the only choices are the 2200G and 2400G which have 4 cores and 4 cores 8 threads respectively.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:

From Bournemouth, hmmm
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • hunk wrote:
    That Ryzen APU looks really impressive. Really hoping AMD can improve even more on this in the near future. That pricepoint is insane.

Yeah it's looking like they will be, exciting stuff. AMD are really killing it with the CPU market right now, hope they can make a proper comeback in the GPU market too someday.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:

From Bournemouth, hmmm

Tempting, right?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Wondering if related to either Impy or the guys behind Clove

But no, 10k, I'd buy a top end XPS 15", new OneWheel, Xiaomi laser projector, and maybe some kicks and denim
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Muse, I know you stream a lot, could the old rig be re-used as a purely streaming machine?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • MuseChick
    Show networks
    Twitter
    MuseChick
    Xbox
    MuseChick
    PSN
    MuseChick
    Steam
    musechick

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Muse, I know you stream a lot, could the old rig be re-used as a purely streaming machine?

That's basically what it is at the moment and is struggling big time to cope with just that!
  • Hmm if you are streaming then a higher core count Ryzen could be a good choice, easy enough to dedicate some threads to the task and still have plenty left over for games and such.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comments/8l6i9n/stream_performance_on_ryzen_5_2600/

The 6 core 2600 is amazing value at £160, 8 cores is even better but that will be another £100 or so. Keep in mind that you would need a dedicated graphics card though.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    MuseChick wrote:
    Blue Swirl wrote:

That's basically what it is at the moment and is struggling big time to cope with just that!

Ah, fair play. As much as I'm loath to say it, it might be off to Silicon Heaven for the old rig. Ebay it?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • These vids are rather useful for those who might be thinking of getting into building their own PC, does a good job of demystifying much of the jargon and variety of parts -

A build with the B450 Tomahawk motherboard and 2600/2200G that I mentioned previously, worth watching through if you've never built a PC before.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I think I'd much rather the information came from a big reputable website. After all those components are very expensive and I'd hate to ruin something

• heh

And make sure you have a swiss army knife that hopefully has a screwdriver in it.
  • Ye gods I still can't get over that anti-static bracelet bit...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I only came across this a couple of weeks back and am genuinely amazed. I'm no great shakes in the PC building stakes, I've burned a hard drive board before by unplugging a molex before unplugging the PSU it was attached to but how that got approved is madness. If it was a spoof, in fact part of me thinks it must have been, or an audition tape from a potential applicant. That bit where it cuts from putting stuff together to suddenly go yeah it worked and we eventually got to the BIOS page
  • Hard drive question. I'm sick of managing my steam library so I've decided I want to get loads of space. Currently I have a 256gb SSD and a 2tb HDD in the machine and a 4tb HDD I'm going to stick in soon. My plan was to use the SSD for Windows and system stuff the 4tb HDD for steam and set the 2tb HDD up as a hyperspin/emulator drive. I don't think the 4tb drive is going to be big enough so what's the most cost effective way to get loads of space (thinking maybe 12tb) in and can I get the computer to treat it as one install drive?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Hmm, do you have a spare computer. You could create a file server using multiple drives, run an OS like freenas over the top and steam would treat that like a single volume, no matter how big it gets

I've been thinking about doing similar for a while now, I've had the external hrad drives hanging off everything in the past and part of me thinks that building a small server would be a good exercise. Though I'd also want it to be running other servers as well (SQL, web, media)
  • That's some Steam library.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I want head room, managing drive space is so annoying.
  • n0face wrote:
    Hard drive question. I'm sick of managing my steam library so I've decided I want to get loads of space. Currently I have a 256gb SSD and a 2tb HDD in the machine and a 4tb HDD I'm going to stick in soon. My plan was to use the SSD for Windows and system stuff the 4tb HDD for steam and set the 2tb HDD up as a hyperspin/emulator drive. I don't think the 4tb drive is going to be big enough so what's the most cost effective way to get loads of space (thinking maybe 12tb) in and can I get the computer to treat it as one install drive?

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-one-large-volume-using-multiple-hard-drives-windows-10

Though it looks like some kind of RAID solution is better, I don't have experience with that but it might be worth reading around. Some comments from that article -
    Do not use an OS level striped volume if you care at all about loosing the data stored on said volume. The failure of any of the drives striped results in complete data loss for the entire volume. If you have a true requirement for the performance increase striped arrays bring to the table, do yourself a favor and invest in a hardware RAID controller and stand up a RAID 5, 6, or 10 array where you have some redundancy.
    This is a nice article,and thanks for writing it and all as its informative, but its kinda lost cause of an article. Why do either of these when RAID works so much better for redunancy, and why would you want to combine drives if one of them fails, and then you're screwed and all the files are lost?

Tiered storage is cool too, though that's more for combining SSDs and hard drive.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    These vids are rather useful for those who might be thinking of getting into building their own PC, does a good job of demystifying much of the jargon and variety of parts - A build with the B450 Tomahawk motherboard and 2600/2200G that I mentioned previously, worth watching through if you've never built a PC before.

Funny, was just watching his $900 build earlier. Which I can emulate for around €1100 Euro. Going to have a think about it.
  • Third part of that handy noob-friendly guide -

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!