Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    MEh, tried out Monster Hunter there and got a system crash. Checked logs and it was a Kernel Power 41. Looking at solutions now.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Once you've got it up and running would be up for some Mohan
  • Speedhaak wrote:
    Yeah done all the usual house keeping. Just had a look thorugh the bios stuff there, any tips on what to enable/disable? Things like Smart Fan Control, Cool 'n Quiet...

Hmm you should probably leave most of the BIOS alone, no need to mess with most of the CPU settings. You should check that the RAM speed matches the rated speed, I'm guessing you got some 3200MHz. And you can tweak fan speeds to a balance between quietness and cooling as I mentioned.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Speedhaak wrote:
    MEh, tried out Monster Hunter there and got a system crash. Checked logs and it was a Kernel Power 41. Looking at solutions now.

Fixed this. One of the connectors from the PSU to the GPU wasn't fitted correctly. 

And yes Reg, Mohun for sure!
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    15.6" Laptop £950 Looks good VFM?

DtMXc7s.jpg

https://www.aldi.co.uk/p/700960312888100
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Build a fantastic desktop for the same.price mate
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’d personally try and get to an I-7

Also I’m not sure what the spec for the USB port is for the Link cable but I’m sure it’ll be alright.
  • Treated myself to a 1TB NVMe drive today for too much money. I'll finally be able to retire the super noisy 1TB HDD I've had for years now.

Be a fun Saturday moving windows from my 256GB ssd onto the new drive and seeing how much of a difference it makes.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It'll be shit hot mate. I run mine off a 512gb NVMe drive, speeds are mental. Games even more so.

Metro Exodus, with its renowned mental load times, booted a save in like 6 seconds.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Yeah, went for the Samsung Evo myself, fantastic boot and access speeds. 512gb drive. Might through a regular 1tb SSD in there for extra stuff as a 1tb m.2 is very expensive.
  • I've decided to wait for Ryzen 4 and more details of the next gen, mainly because I cant decide if I want the 3600 or 3700x, or pcie4 on the x570 instead of the b450 board. Combined with the fact I can run everything I'm playing or want to play at 60fps, bar some VR stuff and it's really not a compelling use of money.

That doesn't stop me running through different upgrades on pc part picker and nearly buying them though. 

Got to stay strong.
  • Hahahahahaha

Contact in 4k, hdr. Everything full or Ultra where available. RTX on high.

60fps.

Drops two frames when I come outta the pause menu.  I feel like DS.
  • voices wrote:
    I've decided to wait for Ryzen 4 and more details of the next gen, mainly because I cant decide if I want the 3600 or 3700x, or pcie4 on the x570 instead of the b450 board. Combined with the fact I can run everything I'm playing or want to play at 60fps, bar some VR stuff and it's really not a compelling use of money. That doesn't stop me running through different upgrades on pc part picker and nearly buying them though.  Got to stay strong.

Those things are probably only really relevant if you want to do more than just play games on the PC, like serious productivity stuff. Going for 8 cores over 6 is never a bad thing though, though it may not be needed depending on the types of games and the display Hz.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Hahahahahaha

Contact in 4k, hdr. Everything full or Ultra where available. RTX on high.

60fps.

Drops two frames when I come outta the pause menu.  I feel like DS.

That's mah boy
  • My PSU fan has become pretty noisy in the last few weeks, will a good blast do the trick or is it likely to need more TLC? Everything else seems ok.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • What model of PSU do you have? A blast of air might help, but probably not tbh. If it ramps up when the system is under load then you could try to improve the system airflow a little, or put a case fan over the PSU grille to help it out.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Whoops.. pc Fred not PS4 Fred..

Bit of air can't ever really hurt that much, doesn't always help either like as gurt says but at least you feel like you're doing something eh?
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • It's worth pointing out that you shouldn't take the PSU apart unless you know what you are doing, there are some big fat capacitors that can hold enough charge to kill you should you touch the exposed components in the wrong place..
  • It’s a Corsair cx600m. Air flow is good, it’s chilly in there. I suspect it’s nothing major as I just gave it a few taps and it’s fine again. Gonna fire up ffxv and leave the case open to see what happens under load.
  • Ok, just sounds like a slightly noisy fan bearing, it might come back after a while. This is why I always recommend PSUs with silent fan modes, so the fan only starts spinning when the system is under heavy load. Annoyingly PSU's are never made to have user-serviceable or replaceable fans, and they tend to use weird 135mm sizes anyway.

If it gets noisy when it gets a bit warmer, due to the temperature/RPM curve, you can try putting a quiet case fan over the grille of the PSU (assuming it's mounted grille-up), and keep that fan at a lowish RPM or set it to speed up when something gets hot if the mobo BIOS allows that.
  • Temps at a steady 55 under load, so reckon you're probably right with dodgy bearing. I'll keep an eye/ear on it. If it goes I might use that as a sign to upgrade the whole rig :-D
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So I'm thinking of getting a new PC (a slight overreaction to windows crashing I appreciated, but my current one was built in 2010 so I feel I'm owed...)

Probably gonna stick with my existing monitor etc., so just the main PC I'm interested in.  Also keen to know what kinda e.g. speed improvement I'm likely to be looking at - old model was a GTX690 (the one bit that's newer than 2010), and an i7 (but obviously quite an old one...).

Other requirement is "it has to look nice".  Per the wife.  

In terms of self-building, I'm a total noob basically.  But willing to do so if the price is right.  What's a good site to dive into & start mucking about with?  Do a bit of home coding as well as gaming, so I'm guessing a chunk of RAM, new-ish mobo & multi-core CPU, and a nice graphics card while I'm at it.  What'd be the best way to chuck say a grand at that??
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I should have self built but I just like Chillblast and their services. Gurt is absolutely your guy for this, but general advice is 16gb ram, AMD core for your processor, video cards are a minefield and it depends whether you want to see C Beams glitter in the dark or not, and definitely a good SSD and that'll easily see you a grand.
  • Not related to muzzys request but I just bought myself a 27" 165hz 1440p monitor and holy shit it looks great. I expected things to look better but it's totally blown me away. Before I was still on the original monitor I bought back in 2012 when I built my first pc.

Thats probably the last thing I'll be upgrading for a while. Last few months I've bought a new mouse, a mechanical keyboard, a 1TB nvme drive, and the monitor.
  • This site is your friend Muzzy. You can tweak away, it tracks prices, saves different builds.

https://pcpartpicker.com/
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Frickin A, adds up fast, doesn't it? First effort via chillblast gets me to 1.3k... Maybe need to be a bit less indulgent with the old graphics card... no real feel for how 1060 vs 1070 vs 1080 vs. Ti vs. 2060 etc. all compares, vs e.g. current & next gen consoles. But does the rest seem sensible ish?? Will try via pcpartpicker too, cos I guess that'll be cheaper cos it's me putting it together, rather than chillblast assembling, right??

PROCESSOR: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 6 Cores, 4.2GHz
    Power Supply: Aerocool 80 PLUS 500W PSU
    GRAPHICS CARD: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super 8GB Graphics Card
    CASE: Corsair Carbide Air 280X RGB Tempered Glass Case - White
    MOTHERBOARD: Asus TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING Motherboard
    COOLER: AMD Wraith Spire Stock CPU Cooler
    Thermal Paste: Prolimatech PK-3 Nano Particle Thermal Paste
    Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Memory (2 x 8GB Sticks)
    Case Cooling: Quiet Cooling Fans Replacement Pack
    M.2 PCIe SSD: 500GB Seagate Firecuda 520 M.2 PCIe Gen 4 Solid State Drive
    Solid State Drives: 250GB Seagate BarraCuda Solid State Drive
    Hard Drives: Seagate 3TB BarraCuda 7200RPM Hard Disk
    Optical Drive: Lite On External DVD+/-RW Drive
    Sound Card: Onboard High Definition Audio
    VR Headsets: Not selected
    Case Lighting: Not selected
    PSU Silencing: Not selected
    Networking Upgrades: Not selected
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Anti Virus Software: Bullguard Internet Security - Free 90 Day Licence
    Office Software: Not selected
    Other Software: Not selected
    Enhanced Internal Packaging: Not selected
    Monitors: Not selected
    Dead Pixel Checking Service: Not selected
    Keyboard & Mouse: Not selected
    Gaming Mice: Not selected
    Gaming Keyboards: Not selected
    Gaming Surfaces: Not selected
    Monitor Cables: Not selected
    Power Cables: Chillblast Power Cable
    Speakers: Not selected
    Headsets: Not selected
    Game Controller: Not selected
    USB Storage Devices: Not selected
    Printers: Not selected
    Surge Protection: Not selected
    Webcams: Not selected
    Accessories: Not selected
    Cable Management: Standard Chillblast Cable Management
    Speed Up Build Time: Estimated 10 - 13 Working Day Build Service
    Warranty: 5 Year Warranty, 2 Years Collect and Return UK only*
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So hmm https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/acemuzzy/saved/#view=Qp64dC is like bang on a grand (but has a warning about compatible bios or something which I don't understand).  1660 though - that any good??  Seems a lot cheaper than the 1080 but it's a higher number!!
  • Don't attempt anything without Gurt. 1660 is good.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!