Balatro - joker's on you
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's too easy to fall into the trap of concentrating on one factor at the expense of another (re scoring). You need good chips and a mult to start with as well + and x jokers - it's vital to have both. Have the + jokers on the left and the x jokers on the right.

Having cash can help too to power up some jokers by buying and selling cards. Also helps to be able to reroll shops.

Moving away from flushes and any other 5 card combination will help with discards as you can play cards with the pair or high card as throwaways.

Early on it's good to just let go and try out various jokers just for the craic. I do that myself sometimes.  You can stumble across some great joker combinations that way.

One example is I had the "retrigger the face cards" joker and then I picked up a joker that makes all cards behave as face cards - thus making every card retrigger.

Was great until I got a boss that played face cards down - meant all cards were dealt facing down!  Had to ditch the second joker to be able to see a card!
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yeah a joker each for money, chips, + multi and x multi often works for me
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Another tip for beginners is you can sort the hand by rank or suit to help you figure out or at least make an educated guess at a face down card. Sort by suit and often you can figure it out - have got myself out of Dodge doing that a fair few times especially when I was playing flushes.
  • I have no strategies for face down draws other than discards and playing cards in unused hand slots. That's quite handy, cheers, Davey. Never thought to use it for that.

Do any of you spend any time culling your cards, or is it a waste of a tarot?
  • Destroying cards is great as a smaller deck means you'll be much more likely to draw the cards that will help you win

• edit: ignore me, misread!

Hanged Man and Death are two of the most valuable jokers IMO. Curating your deck is important, unless you're running High Card/Pairs and the Hologram joker (x0.25 for each card added to your deck).

Other people disagree with me, but I think focussing on buying as little as you can until you hit $15-25 for maximum interest is incredibly valuable. The shop is where you play 90% of the game.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I use those two tarots quite a bit myself.  I used Hanged Man to build up a chosen suit for flush based play but it can also be used to duplicate cards to make pairs (or 3s,4s,5s) more likely.  There's a spectral card that creates 3 duplicates of a chosen card too. There's spectral cards that set on screen cards to all the same random rank or suit too.

Have used death less often - used it mainly to remove cards that weren't in my chosen suit when playing for flushes. 

There's a joker that increases your multiplier if you have less than 52 cards in your deck - but that's not something on its own I'd think worth pursuing.

But I'm trying to wean myself off flush based play - I seem to be able to get wins using it but it's riskier and you have a higher failure rate because you need to use discards quite a bit - certainly before you get to build up your chosen suit in the deck.  And so far I haven't been able to get past ante 10 that way - though that could be more about me not managing my jokers better.
  • Frosty wrote:
    Destroying cards is great as a smaller deck means you'll be much more likely to draw the cards that will help you win

Thought that was the main benefit but don't seem to get enough opportunities to really cut them down. I suppose I haven't really needed it, I'm guessing I've only done like three quarters of a game at most.
  • You’ve got hanged man and death the wrong way around but yep. Hanged Man is also good for taking out cards that make straights harder to get.
  • Blue Stake done. Best hand was a pair of 2s.

image.png?ex=663d28d4&is=663bd754&hm=6442ecf51e9928a6c818bd25202c4d614b337bee438add19cd75db79a191d917&
  • Rolled straight into an Orange stake win. Godlike!

image.png?ex=663d303d&is=663bdebd&hm=16880a2c7e7be14624ce623045f3a4c3a17f5be751e17ff3f7f8643f1e45f7b8&=
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I need someone to show me how to win this game.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's plenty of YT content.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    You’ve got hanged man and death the wrong way around but yep. Hanged Man is also good for taking out cards that make straights harder to get.

Typical me trying to be all fancy naming the cards.  :)
  • Finally got all 15 decks - gold stake was a bitch that I was stuck on for an age. Proper shaky hands, sweating moment followed by fist pump to the air :)

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That's what gaming is all about.  :)

That sweet victory.

If I get all decks/chip sets and beat the challenges I'll be happy. I like high scoring but that's some way off for me. If I can get to the top ante on the chart I'd be happy I suppose.

What's annoying about screenshots of Balatro is I find myself wanting to move my mouse over a joker to see what it does!!!  :)
  • Started this yesterday. Quite morish.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    I need someone to show me how to win this game.

You've gotta roll with it,
    You've gotta take your time,
    You've gotta play what you play
    And don't let rubbish jokers get in your way,
  • You've got to know when to hold 'em
    Know when to fold 'em
    Know when to walk away
    And know when to run
    You never count your money
    When you're sittin' at the table
    There'll be time enough for countin'
    When the dealin's done
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    You're both cancelled
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Reroll
    I have done 122 hours so far, can easily see myself doing 200+
    Happy to start again on iOS, hopefully some dlc in the future

• Wow. Think I’ve played about 20 hours.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'm at 160. Loving this run. x5 on Hologram so far, x2 on Steel Joker. Triboulet <3 as I have 6 Kings and 7 Queens.

fssf.png

My favourite Harry Hill line was "that's the thing with Heroin, it's rather Moreish"
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Fucked that run by going for Vampire too late. FML. Still won but died on Ante 10.
    My favourite Harry Hill line was "that's the thing with Heroin, it's rather Moreish"
    Peep show had superhans proclaim “this crack is very moreish”

• I won a game! YEEEEES!

Finished up with 8 jokers, including the one that adds +2 mult every two pairs played, x3 if hand played again and some other nice X mults. Scored 254,006 with three hands and discards left each. Nearly fucked it on a draw cards face down boss blind. But high card having levels and glass cards saved it.

Glass cards are amazing.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Glass cards are the elite way of trimming ya deck
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    On 30hrs.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!