Work - The pros and the cons...
  • All got a bit real today. Formally offered this new role by the RM, and was told my salary. Poker faced it but I'm v pleased. I've been in retail for 10+ yrs, with hmGav 6. I have always, in my working life, worked for an hourly rate of pay. Had different contracts in different places, but it's always been p/h. As of 10th Dec, I work for a salary. It's weird, but good. I know this is something many of you have dealt with for years, so I understand the giggling at the back of the room, but I'm happy. At least now I know what to put in on application forms when they say salary/expected...
    That's awesome Gav. Made up for you mate.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • That's awesome. I only last year got off hourly rates, and then instantly ended up back on it because I've been agency staff. Will be back on salary from next month, so I know how you feel Gav. Good stuff man, pleased for you.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    :-) Gav
    :-( Wookie

I had opening interview for Dream Job (TM) today. Don't think I said anything ludicrous but an early hurdle anyway and things far from a given.

FTR dream job is unleashing the infinite power of the cloud for game developers - so coding, working on actual game integrations, probably some on-site stuff (US/Canada included) all for, somewhat implausibly given the industry, a step up in pay. Nnnngggg it'll go wrong somehow I'm sure so can't get too hype.
  • You didn't say Girl Power did you?
  • g.man wrote:
    All got a bit real today. Formally offered this new role by the RM, and was told my salary. Poker faced it but I'm v pleased. I've been in retail for 10+ yrs, with hmGav 6. I have always, in my working life, worked for an hourly rate of pay. Had different contracts in different places, but it's always been p/h. As of 10th Dec, I work for a salary. It's weird, but good. I know this is something many of you have dealt with for years, so I understand the giggling at the back of the room, but I'm happy. At least now I know what to put in on application forms when they say salary/expected...
    That's awesome Gav. Made up for you mate.

Well done Gav.

• acemuzzy wrote:
    :-) Gav
    :-( Wookie

I had opening interview for Dream Job (TM) today. Don't think I said anything ludicrous but an early hurdle anyway and things far from a given.

FTR dream job is unleashing the infinite power of the cloud for game developers - so coding, working on actual game integrations, probably some on-site stuff (US/Canada included) all for, somewhat implausibly given the industry, a step up in pay. Nnnngggg it'll go wrong somehow I'm sure so can't get too hype.

And good luck muz.

• Great new Gav. Well done fella.
    And good luck Muzza. Fingers crossed for ya!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Muz, I'll leave where I am and you can have my job?

Great worth Gav
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    G'wan Gav. G'wan Muzz.
  • Happy for you Gav.
    G'luck muz.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Well done Muzzy, always chase those dream positions, here's hoping they get you back in
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Nice one Gav! Beers are on you then...
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Cheers for gav an muzz, well in lads.

Jeers for wook, or more specifically, the folk that didn't hire you. That 'more experienced candidate' chat is shit, been on the receiving end of it myself often enough.

Dunno if I'm cheering or jeering yet. Today's when they said I'd find out. Sweating bullets.
  • Was wondering if you'd heard yet.

Awesome stuff, Gav.  Really pleased for you.
  • Ah crap, HBJ. Sorry dude.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Shit man, sorry to hear that. All good interview practise though
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Soz to all the dudes before me.

We had our annual company day thing today, first one our office has been at since we we're brought in April.

I smashed the fuck out of it. Fully gassed now, had both the directors telling me how fucking funny I am and how good my input was.

GOING TO THE FUCKING MOON BOYS BBL. Conference call about running the London office booked in for next week.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Back at work today. Looks like they have deleted my account. No work for me to do now.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    work told me they're not replacing a role that became vacant and we'll have to work twice as hard, I'm not sure what that means, but I've calculated that we can spend a tenth of role's wage each week and all get massages, so I'm gonna tell work we all need weekly massages
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Big congrats Gav! Awesome news mate.

And bugger to both Wooks and HB. Hard lines indeed. I hate that "experience" thing too, it's bullshit especially if you've proven yourself as a driven worker and a willing learner.

Sounds like good time ahead for Rouj though. Gluck.
  • A guy on night shift is wearing a Raiden hat whilst playing Mario Kart 64.

My work is weird sometimes.
  • Question for those in a position to manage and/or delegate tasks, or training. At what point do you, after repeated mistakes from someone, stop going over it again with someone and/or question your own training methods, and just come to the point where you're certain they're just a complete fucking moran? Just curious.
  • I've had that. I tried breaking down the filing system as simply as I could, and she still didn't get it. Some people are just thick.
  • Question for those in a position to manage and/or delegate tasks, or training. At what point do you, after repeated mistakes from someone, stop going over it again with someone and/or question your own training methods, and just come to the point where you're certain they're just a complete fucking moran? Just curious.
    I assume from the outset that everyone is fucking useless.
  • I think a nicer way of putting that is that everything you have embedded as natural to do in your job is probably not that instinctive to a new person.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Answer every question once

Ask what they've done to try and find out the answer

Show them the steps you took to get their answer

If they ask the same question again they're incompetent, if they don't bother to try to find the answer themselves they're lazy

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!