General Games News
  • WTAF???
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • When does Liverpool 2018 come out?
  • He's been pretty vocal in his support for them quite often over the years.  He also joined Sega from Reebock so there's a kind of sporting history to his cv there.  I'm pretty certain EA had shunted him sideways into a less interesting role too.
  • Clearly, I'm Peter Moores biggest fan.

Or his careers advisor.
  • He's been pretty vocal in his support for them quite often over the years.  He also joined Sega from Reebock so there's a kind of sporting history to his cv there.  I'm pretty certain EA had shunted him sideways into a less interesting role too.
    Was that President of EA Sports? That must be the least interesting role in gaming.
  • JonB wrote:
    He's been pretty vocal in his support for them quite often over the years.  He also joined Sega from Reebock so there's a kind of sporting history to his cv there.  I'm pretty certain EA had shunted him sideways into a less interesting role too.
    Was that President of EA Sports? That must be the least interesting role in gaming.

What are we doing this year lads? Let me guess, Madden 18, FIFA 18 and a new golf game?

Not just that boss, we also have a new game out in the Switch!

Oh, really?

Yeah...Fifa.

Fifa 18?

No, no, just Fifa...

Ok...thanks lads. See you next year, eh?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Verecocha wrote:
    Liverpool Football Club has named Peter Moore as its new chief executive officer. Liverpool-born Moore will take up his new role in June and report directly to the club’s owners, Fenway Sports Group. The 61-year-old is currently chief competition officer at Electronic Arts, based in the United States, and will move to Liverpool to join the club in the summer. His nearly 10 years at EA have seen him in a number of leadership positions, including chief operating officer and president of EA SPORTS. Moore has previously held senior roles with Microsoft, SEGA and Reebok. He holds a bachelor’s degree from Keele University in the UK and a master’s degree from California State University. The appointment completes a 10-month transition plan by FSG and finalises the senior management structure at the club.
    Wow...

We need to come up with some chants...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • JonB wrote:
    He's been pretty vocal in his support for them quite often over the years.  He also joined Sega from Reebock so there's a kind of sporting history to his cv there.  I'm pretty certain EA had shunted him sideways into a less interesting role too.

I think he went from head of ea sports to some brand guy in EA full fat.
  • I think he went from head of ea sports to some brand guy in EA full fat.
    Is that another one of their divisions? The anti-EA Sports?
  • Nah. He ended up being in charge of EA's competitive gaming division. I remember it seemed like a shitty move at the time. From being in charge of all the games to trying to get pro gamers engaged with EA stuff seemed to be the gist of it.
  • He went from heading EA Sports to COO of EA, which is pretty high up. I'd imagine that heading up their competitive gaming division would be a backwards step from there, but then he was apparently involved in that stuff before, so maybe it's a passion?
  • YAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSS BORDERLANDS 3!

NB - this video is just rendering tech talk from GDC, no gameplay at all.

I didn't know they were fully doing one, they probably announced a while back and I forgot, so this is fab news for me :-)
  • If anyone would know, it would be DS.
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-39232620

A  tragedy that some folk here may want to consider.
    Although gaming for chariddy is obviously a great endeavour this does raise concerns about lengthy marathons.

I have never done a marathon but I have spent 16 hours working in front of a monitor and there are very clear adverse effects.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    YAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSS BORDERLANDS 3! NB - this video is just rendering tech talk from GDC, no gameplay at all. I didn't know they were fully doing one, they probably announced a while back and I forgot, so this is fab news for me :-)
    Andy wrote:
    If anyone would know, it would be DS.
    Late to this party but they've been asked multiple times and not denied itm nor announced it. Closet thing is Randy saying if they 'did' it might not be called Borderlands. My guess is MMO and it'll be a disaster, sadly. Gearbox are absolutely terrible and I hate them as a company, they chanced on Blands/Blands 2 by ripping off others and, as much as it pains me, its a phenomenal game. I'm hoping if it is an MMO it'll be awful as I know I could easily waste days/months/years of my life on such a thing.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-39232620 A  tragedy that some folk here may want to consider. Although gaming for chariddy is obviously a great endeavour this does raise concerns about lengthy marathons. I have never done a marathon but I have spent 16 hours working in front of a monitor and there are very clear adverse effects.

Horrible news, and sad to hear. I adore Twitch, but there are many that do nothing but sit and play constantly without movement or breaks and you know their health is fucked due to it, all in the pursuit of making a basic monthly 'wage'. The majority are tuned in and leave for 5-20 minute breaks every couple of hours, but such is the problem with a new, rising platform, similar to those you hear who die in Korea/China/Japan playing MMOs for insane hours without rest.
  • I would imagine that the real factors here are what he's been consuming to keep himself going, or how long he's been sitting still without moving. The fact that he's playing video games is as irrelevant as if he was watching TV, reading a book, or watching paint dry.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    I would imagine that the real factors here are what he's been consuming to keep himself going, or how long he's been sitting still without moving. The fact that he's playing video games is as irrelevant as if he was watching TV, reading a book, or watching paint dry.

I get what you're saying, but Twitch is a thing many younger (and sometimes older people) chase after as if their channel can click, its a very good income. The margins of hitting success to a good degree are insanely slim, however, and can take years, just like most avenues of work. There's many who've suffered breakdowns, violence and all kinds of fucked up shit in the pursuit of it. Its primarily a discussion of the implication of that and the platform, not that 'well you can sit for 40 hours watching 25 movies and suffer the same'.

New platform > Any means necessary > Bad, bad things.
  • I'm not so sure on that Andy.
    All those things involve different stresses upon the mind and body.

DS has it right, a responsible stance should be employed regardless of the activity. Regular breaks are essential from any intense activity. However, especially true if in front of a monitor. I like to think I am naturally able to do this, which is a fancy way of saying I get bored and piss about every half hour. There have been occasions I have neglected these breaks and the effects are very real. Spaced out, dry eyes, loss of appetite, sickness, dizziness and general loss of sense of surroundings are all things I have experienced from being too involved in looking at a monitor.
    That is without the pressure of a 1000+ people drip feeding my salary, knowing if I go to the loo I potentially lose a good percentage of that wage.
  • The discussion should still nevertheless be "the risks people take for fame and money" rather than "videogames could kill you". Anything could kill you if you put fame and money before your health.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    The discussion should still nevertheless be "the risks people take for fame and money" rather than "videogames could kill you". Anything could kill you if you put fame and money before your health.

Well, yes. I don't think anyone is denying that, but this discussion is about Twitch in that context. Feel free to start a more widespread topic if you wish, I'd contribute.
  • Yeah, standard gaming isn't under scrutiny here.
    Although it is worth being careful, Zelda has fucked the following day up twice for me.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    That is without the pressure of a 1000+ people drip feeding my salary, knowing if I go to the loo I potentially lose a good percentage of that wage.

Just wanna highlight that point. I watch Elajjaz (Elias, he's Swedish) fairly regularly. Well know Souls/Borne speedrunner, looks about 12, genuinely nice guy. Chill stream. If he takes one of his 10-15 minutes break, his usual viewer count of 1-3k can easily drop 500-1k viewers, with many complaining that he's not playing. Luckily he's at the point he makes about 3-5k euro per month through subs/donations, but if you're aspiring to get to that level, the pressure is unreal, especially if you devote yourself to constant live streaming.
  • I also watch him. Really likable guy, talented too.

The Twitch chase is just the guy version of girls chasing the Kardashian dream unfortunately.
    Money for nothing sold as an easy buck.

Social media is a fuck.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah I was reading a fair bit today about modern popular rap/hip hop and how its all about the projection of the self rather than flow, lyricism, style and technique. A crushing indictment of social media and its horrendous side, the projection and chase of who you really aren't but wish to portray, whilst in real life you're just another regular joe. Selfie culture essentially.

I'd love to find it again as I saw it ages ago but it was a comparison pic of a Brazilian 'model's instagram post and reality. In the Insta picture she's looking wistfully at the camera in a meadow with flowers at the fore. In reality she's crouched next to a wall, in a shitty bit of bush, in a Favela with dirt in the street and homeless people about 40 metres up the street. Something like 100k followers.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Somehow we've ended up on the wider topic as Andy suggested, so fair play.
  • I feel like it is a bullet dodged due to my age.
    My cousins are all around 10 years younger than me, as are the interns I work with. The influence social media has on them is noticeable and somewhat tragic. 
    Our parent's age group faced an NHS crisis through smoking, our age group is primarily drink and junk food, their demon will be social media induced depression.
  • And, yeah, fair play Andy.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I feel like it is a bullet dodged due to my age. My cousins are all around 10 years younger than me, as are the interns I work with. The influence social media has on them is noticeable and somewhat tragic.  Our parent's age group faced an NHS crisis through smoking, our age group is primarily drink and junk food, their demon will be social media induced depression.

Yeah every generation has its shitey hurdles, it just feels like the current thing is hubris. 'My world is the be all and end all, if I can't be who I am I will project it' and its pretty damn horrible. Conformity has always been a thing, at my high school it was essentially if you didn't have the latest trainers you were Netto scum, but its heightened more now. I see it in my nephews/nieces so much sadly.
  • For sure.
    My school was the same thing, tied your laces 'wrong' !?! one day and it was 3-4 years of exclusion. 
    Let's not beat around the bush here, I went to the top school in my area, my school was the type of school that triggered the whole "parents can pick their school" thing.
    The school that had a zero tolerance policy on bullying that meant of course there was bullying, it is school, but they ignored it.
    A school that had class A drugs dealt not only on the premises but in class.
    A school where a kid in my year scooped out another kids eye with a fork.

Wouldn't trade it for school today.

(off subject rant over)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!