General Games News
  • From their bit on Sniper Elite 4:
    This is Metal Gear Solid 5 without all the bollocks, basically, and where you're actively encouraged to snipe away at Nazis' nutsacks too.
    I'm in at the right price.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    Eurogamer’s top 50, NieR at 36 which I haven’t played but pretty sure it’d make my top 3. Mass Effect: Andromeda at 26ish.

The fuck?!
  • Horizon is only around 30 as well. Really weird list so far. Sonic Mania is higher than Nier and one of the quotes is basically " I never liked Sonic and I still dont"
  • They don't seem particularly enthusiastic about Mass Effect either. It's all a bit confusing.

I've never really got on with EG that much anyway. A lot of their reviews are over-written and give too much away.
  • JonB wrote:
    It's all a bit confusing.

It’s all a load of bollocks. Everything mid way up the list, because somebody’s daughter likes it? Aye, okay.
  • I usually like EG but this list is ridiculous and is making me irrationally angry. It seems like most of the contributors haven’t played the majority of the games.
  • I wonder if Destiny 2 will make the top 10.
  • Zelda and Mario will be 1 and 2 which is fine.
  • Unless somebody forgot to finish one of them, or has a relative who doesn't like elves.
  • By my count, they gave 95 games a ‘recommended’ or ‘essential’ rating this year, so how there’s room in a top 50 for games which got neither is anyone’s guess.

30-21 also apparently includes the Switch’s ‘true killer app’. Which by definition means that the standout console of the year can’t have any titles in the top 20. Either that, or it’s a spectacularly poorly compiled and written list.

It doesn’t take much time to work out which.
  • They're voted for by the whole team I believe, so it allows for some wiggle room with their reviews being off.  I prefer it that way, otherwise it's like they're pretending their word is gospel.  The Uncut review of the year had a 9/10 album at no.98 or thereabouts, beneath a few 7s and loads of of 8s.

I'm not really enjoying the blurb though.
  • That killer app is also available on Playstation!

It's pretty odd reading a best of the year list where the games are described with so many back handed and qualified complements.  Might want to figure out a new voting system for next year, this one's a bit off.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Which game?  I can't spot the quote.
  • I’m changing my voting in ours to also include games that I haven’t played.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Which game?  I can't spot the quote.

Puyo Puyo Tetris.
  • They don't say killer app though.  'They' don't say 'the secret best game on the Switch' either.  Someone called Christian Donlan does.

Am I being pedantic or is the sentence managing to the hide in a blind spot every time I skim the article?
  • It’s the sub-heading for getting into that section. Given that it’s a headline for the article, rather than a contributor quote, it is very much ‘them’ saying it.

Likewise, surely ‘their’ word should be gospel on their own site. Otherwise they’re undermining their reviews by effectively saying, “Recommended games might not be among the best games, and some games we don’t recommend are better.” Wtf?

The only way this would remotely work would be to divide by contributor. “Here’s Chris Donlon’s favourite games,” is easy to ignore because the man is a buffoon.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's the sub heading of the article Mootsy.
  • Fair enough, it is them saying it then.
    Andy wrote:
    surely ‘their’ word should be gospel on their own site. Otherwise they’re undermining their reviews by effectively saying, “Recommended games might not be among the best games, and some games we don’t recommend are better.”

Alternatively, it could just be saying that they trust and back their reviewers launch, and there's not an exact science to recommendations.
  • Basically everything Donlan reviews is Recommended or Essential.
  • ME Andromeda is utter crap. That's coming from a ME fan. The studio has been gutted as well. Wouldn't expect ME universe to be revisited any time soon.

• From a brief scan of the intro screed it seems like titles 50-11 just aren't in any order because it's been such a broad year, the real contention appears to be the top 10. The idea of being able to discernibly separate 50 titles into degrees of quality seems pointless to me anyhow, unless they were 50 attempts at the same thing. How can you contrast, say, Total War: Warhammer 2 which my personal game of the year, in any meaningful sense against Mario or Zelda? I know Zelda is the far greater achievement on almost every level compared with Odyssey, but I can barely stomach playing it because of the deep anxiety that it, and many open world games give me in their vast aimlessness. 

As ever, I think it just boils down to the idea of banner sites collecting aggregate opinions as utterly pointless to me as a reader and a person who plays games. I'm much more interested in what the individual byline holders think, and from that stand point 90% of the EG list is useless because they have clipped the discourse around each game to almost meaningless info bursts.
  • Would rather have one person who really liked each game telling us why.
  • Tempy wrote:
    From a brief scan of the intro screed it seems like titles 50-11 just aren't in any order...
    I would love to agree, but the numbers, Templeton, the numbers...

Tempy wrote:
    The idea of being able to discernibly separate 50 titles into degrees of quality seems pointless...
    It hasn’t stopped us doing the same thing over and over since popular culture became popular. I’d also argue that comparing titles just because they were released in the same arbitrary period of time is daft, but look at us having fun.
  • @Jon I'd take that, or a conversational debate about a game's inclusion that dedicated a bit of time to each person instead of "it's better than PES sorry" or whatever. RPS attempt is still my favourite, and yielded a totally unexpected Number 1 (Dead Cells) and I also like it when publications reach out to developers for their top lists, because they're nearly always guaranteed to be different from the regular lists, which the Guardian did last year I believe.

To wit, this list by Bennet Foddy who created QWOP and most recently Getting Over It, is interesting especially because it has time to appraise something like Breath of the Wild alongside Universal Paperclips.

Andy wrote:
    From a brief scan of the intro screed it seems like titles 50-11 just aren't in any order...
    I would love to agree, but the numbers, Templeton, the numbers...
    The idea of being able to discernibly separate 50 titles into degrees of quality seems pointless...
    It hasn’t stopped us doing the same thing over and over since popular culture became popular. I’d also argue that comparing titles just because they were released in the same arbitrary period of time is daft, but look at us having fun.

I know it's pointless, but if you're going to bother to do that kind of thing I'd much rather a list of ten games from someone, rather than an aggregate. If you're going to try and do both, do the RPS style, rather than this lazy Eurogamer shtick. I'd still rather take individual lists, rankings or no.
  • For me a "best of" any list is a great way of learning to understand a critic or person better, if done well. I think the Film Press manages better than the Games Press, but careful and considered approaches are drowned out by either demands for content or personal branding, with a helping of zero nuance. A lot of people want a pat on their head and to be told their favourite game is also the hot button favourite game. I still have faith in writers to push past this, but editorial stances really whittle away at any useful readings.
  • Word Magazine showed each journo's full lists of ten, iirc, unless I'm confusing it with a music website I used to read.  An overall list arranged from those lists is fine by me, but full transparency would improve it.

Edit: Which reads as 'moar lists', basically.
  • Yeah but you're the type to write a rating down for an album you've listened to and go back and adjust it over time, which just ain't for me. Strokes for folks etc

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!