General Games News
  • Roujin wrote:
    I mean i find it hard to imagine MB Games are going to sue me if I go to loads of monopoly meet ups and video myself cheating.

I find it even harder to imagine in that scenario people wouldn't be telling MB to reign it in you stupid fucks it's cheating at monopoly and you want to bring a legal action against someone for it.

Yeah, that's not in any way equivalent.
  • Roujin wrote:
    I mean i find it hard to imagine MB Games are going to sue me if I go to loads of monopoly meet ups and video myself cheating. I find it even harder to imagine in that scenario people wouldn't be telling MB to reign it in you stupid fucks it's cheating at monopoly and you want to bring a legal action against someone for it.

When MB have IAPs and your cheating sees a dip in others spending, you may find otherwise.
  • djchump wrote:
    Roujin wrote:
    All I know is I'm living in a world where a 14 year old is being sued by a billion dollar corporate entity because he cheated in a videogame.
    You don't know very much then.

I read the article fam. The original DMCA takedown on his first video was pretty spurious, imho, that's not what DMCA is for.

How is this kid affecting any part of Epics business in a way that warrants legal action over banning him? If he keeps changing his IP and whatever, just keep banning him.

He's a fucking kid being a twat. Some kids are twats. What are Epic hoping to achieve through this action? That people won't video themselves installing cheats? How was a cease and desist notice not the way forward here instead?

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • You guys are telling me this kid is hurting Epics bottom line to the financial total greater than the cost of the legal action itself?

Come the fuck on. This response is totally disproportionate and now the whole thing is going to come down to the ruling on the validity of the EULA when not consented to by a parent through ignorance of the kids actions.

It's laughable.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Roujin wrote:
    He's a fucking kid being a twat. Some kids are twats. What are Epic hoping to achieve through this action?
    Make him act like less of a twat?
    Roujin wrote:
    That people won't video themselves installing cheats? How was a cease and desist notice not the way forward here instead?
    They did, he wouldn't stop, so this.
    If he stops, they stop, same as for all the others who complied and it got settled (presumably for no actual sued damages etc.).

Seems pretty simple, really.
  • Roujin wrote:
    I mean i find it hard to imagine MB Games are going to sue me if I go to loads of monopoly meet ups and video myself cheating. I find it even harder to imagine in that scenario people wouldn't be telling MB to reign it in you stupid fucks it's cheating at monopoly and you want to bring a legal action against someone for it.

MB cant sue because they stole the idea.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • How much are cheaters costing Epic?
  • Bajillions of dollars a second.
  • I assume you missed this post from Yoss, which explained what's going on quite concisely.

Yossarian wrote:
    It seems it comes from him having challenged Epic’s take down request. The video would have been automatically reinstated were there no legal action pending.

It seems like the kid has almost forced Epic into it through repeated acts of defiance in the face of a request to pull a vid.
  • Roujin wrote:
    You guys are telling me this kid is hurting Epics bottom line to the financial total greater than the cost of the legal action itself? Come the fuck on. This response is totally disproportionate and now the whole thing is going to come down to the ruling on the validity of the EULA when not consented to by a parent through ignorance of the kids actions. It's laughable.

I doubt it's going to affect their BL no, but it was worth pointing out the difference between this and your MB example.

On the other hand, what if Fortnite got inundated with hackers/cheats? It's not super difficult to see a daily-user drop off because of that.
  • I mean, I'm just arguing for the sake of it really, I agree it does seem like breaking a butterfly on a wheel atm, but I can also see how putting a stop to cheats/hacks in F2P IAP-driven PvP titles is A Thing.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Roujin wrote:
    You guys are telling me this kid is hurting Epics bottom line to the financial total greater than the cost of the legal action itself? Come the fuck on. This ruesponse is totally disproportionate and now the whole thing is going to come down to the ruling on the validity of the EULA when not consented to by a parent through ignorance of the kids actions. It's laughable.

I doubt it's going to affect their BL no, but it was worth pointing out the difference between this and your MB example.

On the other hand, what if Fortnite got inundated with hackers/cheats? It's not super difficult to see a daily-user drop off because of that.[\b]

This is the key point for me. In a game which can be 20 minute+ a round, you don’t want the end-game to be utterly ruined by some hacking twat. It’s the sense of entitlement that it’s okay for him to affect and impact the enjoyment of others that leaves me little sympathy for him. Does seem heavy handed but he seems like an utter idiot.
  • I feel like cheating in online games sums up a lot of the attitude that leads to much bigger problems in America.  This "fuck you, I do what I want" attitude that is so incredibly insular, it is the same thing that means they will vote against Obamacare, immigration, global aid etc. I applaud any attempts to curtail it, especially as it creeps in more and more over here.
    TBH, I don't think cheating in (online) games is a distinctly American thing - more of an adolescent "testing the boundaries of authority" kind of thing, probably backed by self-esteem issues (like, really, if you need to cheat at a game and ruin it for others to have fun or feel good, there's probably something a bit wrong there). I figure most cheaters grow out of it and get over it.
  • One of the lads I teach will always ask me what games I’m playing and was happy to natter on about God of War at length recently. Fortnite came up and he said he often goes on it just to troll others, stitching up team-mates, nicking loot, smashing their structures etc. He seems to derive as much enjoyment from breaking the game as he does from playing it conventionally. Definitely an age thing when you’re doing that to randoms.
  • But that hasn't happened has it?

Are Epic servers being inundated with cheaters and are their daily numbers dropping off?

I hate cunts and cunty behaviour as much as you guys, but I can't see how Epic (a large corporate entity) don't already have the means to handle cheaters already through their in house admin teams and automated systems. To me, this looks like a corp that started litigation against an individual before they knew he was a minor and now they are going to go through with it to save face, the byproduct excuse to hide behind being the hope it discourages (a minority of) other players from cheating. Even though Epic can afford to run a team of in-house staff to administer colossal ban hammerings against these individuals if they so wanted to.
  • Do you read the Daily Mail, Rouj?
  • No I'm a bleeding heart lefty.

You guys defending Epic's decision to keep up the legal proceedings are the daily mail readers here. No good punk kids cheating in games, there should be a law against it! Etc.
  • Roujin wrote:
    But that hasn't happened has it?
    /shrug
    Roujin wrote:
    Are Epic servers being inundated with cheaters and are their daily numbers dropping off?
    I dunno. Why are you asking me?
  • Roujin wrote:
    No I'm a bleeding heart lefty.

You guys defending Epic's decision to keep up the legal proceedings are the daily mail readers here. No good punk kids cheating in games, there should be a law against it! Etc.

I was thinking more that their readers like to get up in arms about things without fully understanding the situation.
  • “This particular lawsuit arose as a result of the defendant filing a DMCA counterclaim to a takedown notice on a YouTube video that exposed and promoted Fortnite Battle Royale cheats and exploits,” Epic told Polygon. “Under these circumstances, the law requires that we file suit or drop the claim.

“Epic is not okay with ongoing cheating or copyright infringement from anyone at any age. As stated previously, we take cheating seriously, and we’ll pursue all available options to make sure our games are fun, fair, and competitive for players.”
  • Roujin wrote:
    No I'm a bleeding heart lefty.

As most have said on here, the legal measure is heavy handed but his actions could impact on those who want to enjoy the game as it’s meant to be played. He was given a number of warnings and continued. I’d presume he’s playing the free version so can’t even complain that he’s restricted in enjoying something that he’s paid for.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Even though Epic can afford to run a team of in-house staff to administer colossal ban hammerings against these individuals if they so wanted to.

He's been banned 14 times.
  • “This particular lawsuit arose as a result of the defendant filing a DMCA counterclaim to a takedown notice on a YouTube video that exposed and promoted Fortnite Battle Royale cheats and exploits,” Epic told Polygon. “Under these circumstances, the law requires that we file suit or drop the claim.

“Epic is not okay with ongoing cheating or copyright infringement from anyone at any age. As stated previously, we take cheating seriously, and we’ll pursue all available options to make sure our games are fun, fair, and competitive for players.”

Exactly. It's not even a "real" lawsuit. Epic almost certainly don't expect or want it to get to court and are probably cursing the law and Google, right now, for making it necessary.
  • They should assassinate him. No point dragging this on any longer.
  • Only if they noscope it.

Is that still a thing?
  • Looks lovely. Pity about the gameplay.
  • JonB wrote:
    They should assassinate him. No point dragging this on any longer.

They should send his ass to mars for a fortnight forfeit.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    They should assassinate him. No point dragging this on any longer.

They should send his ass to mars for a fortnight forfeit.

Strong.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!