General Games News
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Why would the side switch be a best moment? Weird.

FOR THE EPIC MIND GAMES TO WIN A TOURNAMENT DO YOU EVEN MEMBER FIGHTANS!?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Anyway imo there were probably better fighting game moments than the side switch in the last year if they wanted an fgc entry into that category. Lil Majin vs JDCR Tekken 7 upset while riding the motherucking King chain grabs hype train. 

Here's a link, I suggest you watch it, it's 12 minutes of absolute greatness and why fighting games are my favouritest:

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Roujin wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Why would the side switch be a best moment? Weird.
    FOR THE EPIC MIND GAMES TO WIN A TOURNAMENT DO YOU EVEN MEMBER FIGHTANS!?

Hey I was thinking why is it good?! The organisers also being shit and having to look up rules (I think they did that?) also makes it a shit moment surely?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I guess it's 'good' because it's a pretty unusual request, especially in the setting of a grand final.

Imho Lil Majin still a better moment than the side switch tho.
  • Wasn’t sonic getting creamed at that point as well? Even the side switch ignored the comeback was pretty boss probably (even though it creates an interesting power dynamic in the setting)
  • I have no idea what you guys are on about.

G, gif me.
  • :D
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Wasn’t sonic getting creamed at that point as well? Even the side switch ignored the comeback was pretty boss probably (even though it creates an interesting power dynamic in the setting)

Yes that's true, it stopped all Go1's momentum and Sonic cane back to win.

That said, Lil Majin is still a bigger comeback/upset on that front imho as JDCR is probably the best Tekken player around for years, Tekken is basically Korea's game, they are a level above everyone else in that game. America only usually gets 1 maybe 2 players into the Tekken top 8 at Evo on a good year and this year a "local" guy playing a mid tier character sent the strongest player using the strongest character into losers in front of a home crowd at the biggest tournament of the year.

WHO STARTED CHOPPING ONIONS!?

• The problem is me and not the games.

This isn't really a new revelation, just something that I've been aware of for quite a while that was bubbling away. It was then 'tripped' by DS sharing about the latest Footy Manager game, so I thought i'd waffle on about it to see if I was alone in this. (it's also not really news, but this seemed the most general place for the chatter than a game specific thread).

The way I play games, and how I expect them to work, is kind of locked in my brain, at different points in the past for different games and genres. Generally this around the late 90s, earliers 00s. This isn't about rose tinted glasses, and me thinking the games were definitely 'better' back then, just that i can't/won't change the way I approach the games.

PES is a classic example. I really loved it back in the day, with the peak around 2003. Since then, I've tried many new versions, and never really enjoyed them the same. But the thing is, I still play exactly the same way....I use the same buttons and want to have the same play style, anything new and changed is basically ignored. They could potentially have reworked the entire thing, have an all new play style for a much better game, but i won't see it cos i'm still playing the way i always have. New menus and tactical options are ignored, I'm aware the right-stick does tricks now but I didn't need it back then so i ignore it now...

On to Footy Manager. I loved it back when it was Championship Manager. Over the years, it gets more in depth, more detailed, basically a better more realistic 'management game'. It makes sense that a management game wants you to set up training, deep dive on your player abilities, fiddle with every tactical element....and yet if i try to play one, i get bored immediately cos my brain slips straight into the old champ man mentality - quick scan of who your good players are, pick a formation, try to sign Chris Waddle (this in particular gets harder on the later versions!) and on to the matches. All the extra options and stuff in the game just sets off alarms that tell me i don't know what I'm doing and I shouldn't have to learn it!

And it applies with lots of the 'big' games of today. So many read like a wishlist of 'wouldn't it be cool if...' chatter from when i was younger, and I look at them objectively and think "wow, this sounds amazing". Yet when i play them now part of my brain is like 'you know we didn't have to do this back on game x...you wouldn't have died there if this was game y cos it would have reacted differently...what level are we on anyway?'

I guess all this is just a way of saying that I'm 'stuck in my ways'....the same could probably be said about my choice in music, films and books etc., but at least with those it feels more like I've settled into my genres, but still enjoy different takes on them. It just seems weird with games, since I grew up with them, saw them evolve and change and keep improving, then each game reached a point where I've went "yep, that's far enough for you, don't change anymore", but the games carried on without me.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • That reads like you've hacked @retrogamer1981's account. 

I mostly agree too.  Breath of the Wild is a good example of a franchise that stepped out of the past and over the line at the same time.  It was doing all these amazing things that I had to twist my own arm to appreciate, when what I would've preferred was just a new old game.  Despite using a Nintendo game as my first example I think being more rooted in the past than most is the reason I've latched onto them so tightly in recent years - for the most part they release more straightforward gamey games that feel like a breath of fresh air despite being old fashioned.  Indie games are still providing me with what I want too, which is why my focus has shifted since the early XBLA days.  Blum said it best with the preoccupied with whether they could thing - AAA games need to stop expanding imo, but it'll never happen because 'make it bigger than what's currently considered the biggest' seems to be a) what most people want, and therefore b) what most companies will strive to create.
  • I can agree with Ram to an extent, especially with PES. Last one of those I played I just immediately ruled out learning all those new tricks. It felt overcomplicated anyway in the end, with the AI being too clever for its own good for one.

But in other games I've got more out of them when I've made myself leave the comfort zone. Playing Tetris Effect when the last Tetris I'd really played was the Gameboy version is a good example. When I first saw how it had changed I just thought I wouldn't be willing or able to learn any of that, but a bit of effort has already paid off. Dark Souls is probably the clearest example though - a game which makes you adjust your approach to the genre if you want to get it, but rewards you massively when you do.

The main things about those examples, I think, is their focus. They aren't games that try to do everything but have very specific gameplay aims that are actually quite simple when you break them down. In comparison, trying to learn the all the different things you can do in an AAA open world just feels tiring. One of the reasons Horizon worked for me was because it felt very geared towards the combat and weapons, and it was easy to concentrate on the depth of those systems. Too many big games now feel wide and shallow, rather than narrow and deep, so to speak.
  • Yeah. The Nintendo and Breath of the Wild stuff are really good points too. Especially....
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It was doing all these amazing things that I had to twist my own arm to appreciate, when what I would've preferred was just a new old game.
    I think that about sums it all up! :)
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Miserable old bastards stuck in the past and frightened of the future.
  • Hey, I embraced online shopping as soon as I realised it meant that I didn't have to leave the house.  Mainly because I've hated going out since it became unsafe to leave my front door unlocked.
  • Miserable old bastards stuck in the past and frightened of the future.
    Kids these days have no respect...we fought the space invaders so you could grow up and play 'RDR-Beard and Horse Groomer'!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Miserable old bastards stuck in the past and frightened of the future.
    Kids these days have no respect...we fought the space invaders so you could grow up and play 'RDR-Beard and Horse Groomer'!

You should know better than to bring up PES 5, I'm still hurting.
  • I like games that do new things, I've already got ones that do the old things and rarely like to play for high scores.

Most AAA games don't do much for me these days as they're mass market fodder and so scared to try anything interesting.
  • Miserable old bastards stuck in the past and frightened of the future.
    You should know better than to bring up PES 5, I'm still hurting.
    To be fair, gaming worldwide pretty much peaked with that victory at Sparkystock. It's hardly surprising that I'm stuck living in that past glory, whilst you seek solace living a cowboy life hiding away in the countryside...
  • hahaha
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Yeah. The Nintendo and Breath of the Wild stuff are really good points too...
    Yep, BOTW was too stop-start-crafting-heavy-ball-ache in comparison to Ocarina of Time. Traded that grind world soon after.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • You didn't have to play it like that, you know; I didn't.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I didn’t either. Still got bored pretty quickly.
  • I Googled the best recipes and batch cooked enough to see me to the credits. #crafty
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Have an article about Void Bastards that I’d really like to read but am too busy refreshing Twitter to see if the government has collapsed yet to find time for.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/11/15/void-bastards-is-system-shock-2-meets-xcom-and-it-looks-great/
  • Australians are used to governments collapsing. Its never that interesting - read the RPS article instead :)
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Void Bastards sounds like it should be about the government collapsing anyway.
  • Anyway you'll be able to spend 10 minutes reading any article (except Article 50) and the government will still be there when youve finished.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Will it though? WILL IT?
  • Well maybe not after 20 minutes. 30, tops.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!