Dave Perry is back apparently if that helps
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Competition is definitely good. We can see from one generation to the next what happens when one company takes a large lead, complacency inevitably seeps in.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'll forever be shamed by the fact that I contributed to this conversation. Sales figures and console wars, dear me.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    lol console plebs
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's a sad one this chat.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    They won the 360 gen. Sony eventually passed them after the current gen had started.

So I put win in inverted commas because it's a daft debate, but what you just said makes no sense at all.

The PS360 generation was actually won by the Wii. It was, by all measures, the console that sold the most.

Putting the Wii aside, the PlayStation and Xbox were so close at the end that there was no clear winner at all between them.

With the PS4 outselling the Xbox One 2:1, you can easily declare a 'winner' of this gen.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    TBF, you’re the one who started talking about the concept of winning in the first place. It wasn’t even in the original article.
  • That's fair. I guess I saw dominate and win as comparable terms.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Take me down to hot take city
    Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    My mind somehow linked this to Tiger's "hot load" comment in the goty thread. Which was very weird.

Not the any of the other posts in this actual thread make that much sense.

Think it's time to put in my contacts and make more coffee.
  • Yossarian wrote:

Member when all these guys were trying to convince people that all of Microsoft's anti-consumer shenanigans at the start of the Xbone gen were actually a good thing? I member.
  • The pattern seems to be:
    1) A does Well
    2) B sells the shop to catch up
    3) B does well
    4) A sells the shop to catch up
    5) goto 1)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Pretty much. Although I do think that Microsoft’s longer-term strategy might shift things a bit more fundamentally. I reckon that within our lifetimes, the battle will be between Microsoft, Google and Amazon as streaming takes over. If I were Sony, I’d be looking at a partnership with Google or Amazon now before one of them buys out the PlayStation brand to slap on their own streaming service.
  • Ironically Sony were one of the first with streaming (gaikai/Piss Snow) but it just feels like a thing that will get gobbled up eventually.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think it’s massively dependent on infrastructure too, and I can’t see Sony catching up there.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I think it’s massively dependent on infrastructure too, and I can’t see Sony catching up there.

But you wouldn't yoss pal!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The point is that Google, Amazon and Microsoft all have massive sets of server farms all around the world already which are used to service businesses, they have huge cloud computing power at their fingertips and they are already making money from it. All they need to do is switch some of their existing servers over to games.

Building a competing set of infrastructure would probably cost billions. Doing it only for games makes no financial sense.

Unless Sony’s moving into cloud computing services, then no, I can’t see it, for very good reason.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    This is why I’m saying that Sony look into a partnership, BTW. That way they can get access to those servers without the massive financial outlay. Simply renting them means that if one of these giants decides to launch a competing service, they can easily be priced out of the market.
  • Has anyone else seen Shadow?
    It looks like an interesting take on streaming games.

The user pays $35 per month. In return they get their own, dedicated high end PC sat in a server rack. I can't remember all the spec but they have 1080ti gpus, 32gb of ram and a processor to match, making it as good as maybe even better than Xbox One X.

The PC is yours to use as you want, you want Steam get Steam, you want Origin lol ok. You don't even have to game, you could use it as a workstation. It is just like owning a PC. No sharing with anyone else or a handful of mega cpus trying to process everyone's data at peak times.
    They will maintain it for you and periodically upgrade hardware to keep it at the high end of gaming rigs.

The upside to this. You can game on anything. They have a dedicated box that connects via HDMI, apps for Android, windows and Mac OS (possibly iOS, can't remember but would be surprised if not). The user can also switch devices quickly, about as fast as the Switch changes from docked to handheld.

The tests I have seen of it look very fast, no real lag of note, maybe those super fightman types may see it but most won't. Obviously they can't do anything about user end speeds.

I'm monitoring it and would be tempted when it comes to the big PC upgrade. It would be interesting to see a console manufacturer take the same approach, automatically upgrading from One, to S to X on the same sub would have been really good.
  • Hrm, seems too expensive still, I think making your own PC would work out kinda cheaper or the same price in the long run, plus you don't have to worry about latency which is the main downside to game streaming...
  • Dunno, that is going to be a $2000 (USD) pc.
    Just shy of 5 years at $35 per month, if they are legit on promising to keep it updated that doesn't sound too bad, especially for those worried about building their own. Of course you can't sell it but 5 year old parts won't have much resale value.
    Plus many can more easily find $35 per month than they can $2000 as a one off.

Like I say, the latency I have seen has been very impressive. Not enough for the nutjobs but enough for most. It is hard to tell as techy reviewer types do all have good connections.
  • AWS is bigger than all the others combined.
  • Funny, as I was just thinking today after seeing the Japan Ass Creed streaming on the Switch that Nintendo are probably going to be the only current guys standing once streaming takes over. If it’s no longer tech dependant and you can stream whatever you want to wherever you want then Nintendo are the ones with by far the strongest catalogue of stuff to tie you in and pull in the families. Yoss can bang on about MS being in the best tech position all he wants but they don’t have a fat cartoon plumber do they?

Let the warz begin!!!!
    Fuckin unfuckinreal.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don’t really see Nintendo going down the streaming route. I could well be wrong, but I kind of feel like they’ll carry on going their own way, making money off hardware and keeping their niche.
  • From what I've heard, Playstation Now offers the best streaming service of those currently on the market. That will be worth something.

Also, I cant see any reason they couldnt go to IBM if competition was really a worry, but I doubt it will be. Netflix uses AWS.
  • PS Now is the best of that "Netflix of games" streaming services but it is still far from ideal. 720p only and bad latency, I had to memorize certain QTE sections of God of War Acsension because waiting for the icon to appear meant failure.

MS or Nintendo or many other players could emulate PS Now quite comfortably as it currently stands. There is a reason they don't.

Edit: maybe not Nintendo, online isn't their strong area.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!