Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    This is unintentionally hilarious:

I'd imagine the likes of Panty and Iain are happy with the future possibilities this provides the Battlefield franchise.
  • I see they have improved the facial animations since Mass Effect: Andromeda.
  • One of the guys who worked on that is working on clouds for Unreal now: https://twitter.com/SebHillaire
  • As a bloke who has spent far too many hours fart arsing around with BioWare character creation tools, I always wished for a halfway decent set of haircuts to choose from.  Even the female characters were stuck with a shithouse array of receding crew cuts and rock hard ponytails.

Now seeing that Dragon Age 4 could look like a Pantine commercial but play like Anthem with swords feels like one of those smart arse genie be-careful-what-you-wish-for situations.  Oh well hopefully they  redo Mass Effect Trilogy on PS5 with incredible hair.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It would be nice for you to have your dreams realised Wario, because you're worth it. Mass Effect and Dragon Age are decent shouts for third person avatars, but for me The Witcher 3 is head and shoulders above the rest.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I appreciated the build up to the final line there. A well conditioned joke.
  • Martin Keown looks like a Bioware Character Creator er.. creation.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Hipster twat!
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Wannabe hipster twat, tyvm.

• Hardware by Teenage Engineering has me interested. Their synths are great.
  • sega bass fishing revival incoming!
  • Total War: Three Kingdoms is out. Looking forward to a few sessions on that!
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:

That's an interesting story that one.
    Came out of nowhere, on the day I read about the deprecation of the Ouya console.
    I'm with you though.

I think the thing will pick up a not insignificant number of random fans.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:

I love me a handheld, so I am almost certainly IN.
    Get schwifty.
  • It looks awful. I want one. I’m sure that, on the slim chance I get one, I won’t enjoy any of the games even half as much as I’ll enjoy the fact that it exists.
  • Aye. Lovely product, not sure whether the games can live up to it. Only one way to find out though.
  • I wrote:
    Yeah, likewise. I’m not sure I’m forking out £18 for it this week. We’ll see.

20% launch discount on Switch changed my mind.
  • Feedback when you can please.
  • Very very first response was, “Oooh, this is good.” One of the things I read made me concerned about the story bits, but they have an initial charm. It handles tutorial stuff well, and looks great on the Switch screen in handheld.

Next response was... a bit of motion sickness. For the first few minutes you’re on foot and guided by terrain, so the camera doesn’t have much to do. But, when you first get into a car, the heavy chassis and the soft suspension combine with a zoomed in camera that swings around a fair amount. Even on foot, when you move near buildings the camera swings up to a more vertical view. The whole lot acting together is a bit nauseating. I tried the follow camera, rather than the fixed, and that didn’t help.

I docked the Switch to see if looking at a further away screen would help, but it didn’t really. That’s also when I first noticed the judder of some slowdown.

I’m not too worried just now; my worries strike me as being patchable, and the gameplay itself seems fun; burgling houses is a gamble of the time it takes to search rooms versus the time it takes the Police to respond. I gather you can also try to restrain anyone you find in the house, and your success depends on upgradeable skills. You also peer in windows first, to make sure you’re entering an unoccupied room. Depending on how your crimes are witnessed, the description of either your clothes or your vehicle will be circulated. You can grab a change of clothes from a washing line, or (I think) buy from a shop.

I’ve died once so far; I jumped off a pier, and couldn’t work out how to climb the ladder back out of the water before my stamina depleted. The game tells you that, when you die, you lose your inventory, but retain your money and XP. I died mid-mission, though, and it reloaded my last save point, so I didn’t lose anything.

The inventory is fairly well handled, too. Everything has a weight, and there’s only so much you can carry. Things like crowbars and wrenches can be used as weapons, or can be used to break into cars or houses a limited number of times before they break. They display an approximate number of uses you have remaining.

Lots to like, a couple of grumbles.
  • Nice, it stays on the list then. I was worried the view was a bit too close from trailers, is seeing where you're going a problem?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    What game y'all chatting about?
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Nice, it stays on the list then. I was worried the view was a bit too close from trailers, is seeing where you're going a problem?

A bit. I’m out for the evening, after playing for half an hour or so earlier, more thoughts will follow later.
  • Some more thoughts, then.

I’m no longer experiencing motion sickness while playing. I don’t know if I’ve just acclimatised, but playing is no longer uncomfortable. I wouldn’t mind a few more options for the camera, though, to make it a little less swoopy.

I’ll get the negatives out of the way first. The camera is definitely too close to have a reasonable chance of avoiding collisions. If you encounter a vehicle travelling in the same direction as you, there’s just enough time to avoid clipping it at least some of the time. Vehicles coming the other way, though, and you’ve got very little chance of avoiding it. Even junctions are a nightmare; brakes are soft as hell, and even when it’s obviously the other drivers fault that you’ve collided, you’re the one who ends up wanted. So you end up being wanted a lot. I’ve also (at least) twice had the game completely crash. Apparently a patch is incoming next week which should help. Finally, if evading capture in a car is a bit too hard, evading on foot is a bit too easy. Cops don’t chase you for long, and that’s even before I’ve upgraded my sprint stamina.

As for the positive, so far it’s been great fun. Earlier, I mentioned the houses being a balance of how long it takes to search rooms, with how long until the Police arrive. Earlier, I took too long, and saw Police symbols outside my various exit points. I picked the last window uncovered, and as I arrived outside, the place was indeed surrounded, with cops at each door and window. I almost managed to sneak away, but got spotted. As I ran away, I was again seen switching clothes, so my new description was circulated. I had to run further before I could change my clothing unseen.

I’ve also now realised that the people who go around the house exteriors live there. So, if you sneak up on one, you can knock them out, search them, and find a key that means you have all the time you want to search the whole house and steal the valuables.

I also managed to batter a cop with a shovel, undetected, and currently have his uniform, baton, and revolver (having blown up his car). I’m assuming the level of Police corruption is the main reason nobody reported me for using his gun to shoot his car to make it explode, to destroy the pick-up trucks parked either side to complete my current mission.

I think I need to upgrade a few of my stats before I try holding up any of the stores, and I imagine to have a chance of successfully robbing the bank, I’ll need to max out a few of them.
  • Um, that video title cutting off where it does makes it sound like a very different video. Maybe should have left out the [4K].
  • Tempy wrote:

Ah missed that. I did check the index thread but I guess it hasn't been added yet.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!