PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    It's good for Microsoft, but it all will depend on the freedom they give the studios. I'm pretty sure I've read stories about game companies refusing to be bought over by Microsoft, just because they couldn't come to an agreement

So I quoted you on that. But anyway, my 2p is that MS will be pretty good to them. They won't force exclusives, they'll let them do start they're good at, they'll want them to do well even on PlayStation. This is the new way, Old Microsoft is dead. Believe.
  • They’ll get gamepass on PlayStation and it won’t matter.
  • This is a big 'ehh...' from me I think. I much prefer to see big money going into new ambitious projects and IP, or to revitalise existing IP even. I'm much less enthused about them hungry hippoing studios into their corporate bellies, if it actually makes the games better somehow then great, but I'm always a bit doubtful about big acquisitions like this doing much good for the artistry.
  • Come on now, EA bought up a ton of studios and they are thriving to this day...
  • The Bethesda published stuff like Doom and Wolfenstein was fine as is but the main development teams doing Fallout/ES/Starfield I think had got into a bit of a state.

ES and Starfield seemed to be a good way off and must have been costing  a lot to develop. They clearly launched F76 as an attempt to bring in money but it was an absolute disaster time after time, 2 years after launch there are still stories popping up every now and again covering a new failure.

They haven't shown enough of the other titles to know what state they were in but I had my concerns that should be alleviated by having MS backing them now.
    There are also the possibilities of taking these IPs and putting them in the hands of other MS studios, the main one being Obsidian.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Nina wrote:
    It's good for Microsoft, but it all will depend on the freedom they give the studios. I'm pretty sure I've read stories about game companies refusing to be bought over by Microsoft, just because they couldn't come to an agreement

So I quoted you on that. But anyway, my 2p is that MS will be pretty good to them. They won't force exclusives, they'll let them do start they're good at, they'll want them to do well even on PlayStation. This is the new way, Old Microsoft is dead. Believe.
    They haven’t spent 7 billion simoleons just to give a load of games to Sony. The only reason they’re not saying as much is to contain some of the negative fanboy ranting. Unless...
    They’ll get gamepass on PlayStation and it won’t matter.
    They’ll take that trade with Sony.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Noticed this move isn’t triggering the “exclusives bullshit” people. Guess they all own Xbox’s ;-)

I don't know what you mean by "exclusives bullshit people". Do you mean people that think console exclusives are bullshit? I've never seen anyone with that sentiment here
  • Not here but they're out there.
  • If all the Bethesda games I bought this gen were on gamepass day 1 I would've saved about £280 at £40 per game. Not included cost of gamepass there
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Will they get more money selling TES6 for $70 a pop to a swathe of the PS5 market, or converting a subset of them to XBox. The business plan the valuation was funded off was likely (a) not (b) I reckon...
  • From a perception point of view though you have seventy pounds for one game while Microsoft say the same thing for £10. The thing it does is keep pushing the tipping point that almost everyone should have gamepass (in the same way that everyone is perceived to have Netflix). If they can get that level of mindshare then 7.5billion will look like chump change.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yup truedat
  • LivDiv wrote:
    There are also the possibilities of taking these IPs and putting them in the hands of other MS studios, the main one being Obsidian.

Lots of talk about how this Bethesda buy out makes an Obsidian produced Fallout: New Vegas 2 now more likely. But I think Obsidian have their work cut out with that game about shrunken kids and their own Skyrim-killer title to worry about than going back to that other franchise, even if they are seen as the 'custodian' of the Fallout series.

Mind you, I was impressed with how The Outer World's engine ran, so wouldn't say no to a souped version of that for a next gen FO: NV2. Rather that that another spawned from Bethesda's Creation engine. *shudders*.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Oh God, I ended up in another part of Twitter, and people want Sony to respond by buying up a load of studios themselves.

I'd prefer they spent that on developing games tbh.
  • Job number one.
    Sack Tood.

Job number two.
    Delete that shit engine from all servers.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Oh God, I ended up in another part of Twitter, and people want Sony to respond by buying up a load of studios themselves.

I'd prefer they spent that on developing games tbh.

I’d prefer they took the money and knocked a tenner off every PS5 game.
  • I am not majorly affected by this as I find a lot of Bethesda's developed stuff really poor - Fallout and Elder Scrolls are series that seem to get a lot of love but I've tried a bunch of them and not bean enamoured. I worry for fans of their games that MS buying them will lead to similar situations we've seen with other studios that have been taken under their wing, only to disappear. I think Bethesda are maybe too big for that, but if I recall correctly Skyrim was developed by around 50-80 people, which is incredibly small numbers.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Agreed. I always thought MS wasted Rare. I know they were instrumental in a lot of the core Xbox avatar stuff, but I think they were not utilised well as game developers.
  • I can’t believe Sony let this happen. They must hate their fans.
  • I think the diference here is the big games Bethesda are doing are probably fairly well underway, but yeah I don't know if it's roses for the studio (though I imagine Todd Howard and the investors are very happy right about now)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @monkey You on about the pricing again? ;-)
  • Of the 23 studios, how many do we think will survive the next 5 years?
  • Rare is an odd one.
    People always blame MS but the reality seemed to be that much of the talent changed about the same time.
    They did release Viva Pinata, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero under MS but none were particularly well recieved.
  • I was under the impression that Microsoft gave them freedom to do what they want. Look at the range of games that Liv just listed, quite a variety.
  • Sea of Thieves is a very unique game, it's not like Microsoft have forced them to churn out perfect dark repeatedly
  • Rare and Lionhead got brain-drained hard because they were forced to make Kinect games for years.
  • djchump wrote:
    Rare and Lionhead got brain-drained hard because they were forced to make Kinect games for years.

Ah I forgot about the 'kinect years'
  • The Kinect stuff was wank but after 5 or 6 titles that didn't really land you cant blame MS for starting to dictate what they work on, even if that was a pile of shit.

Wasn't the problem with Lionhead that they didn't keep a leash on Molyneaux?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Molyneaux the dream years. He was Sean Murray for my generation.
  • What was that peado simulator he was pushing for Kinect?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!