regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Now thinking about this and what Tango and Arkane have put out and I genuinely don't get it. NGL double fine must be looking over their shoulder.
  • One slip and your a CoD helpdesk
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Now thinking about this and what Tango and Arkane have put out and I genuinely don't get it.

Obviously it’s sad regarding both but my understanding is the Arkane that existed before Redfall’s development was effectively no longer there by the time Redfall released.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Arkane was never a massive seller was it? Loved by reviewers and a small set of gamers. Not what MS want obviously.
  • Arkane Lyon which is the biggun is still going, they are working on Blade.

Austin did Redfall and Prey (most recent one). Redfall was a disaster, should have been an evergreen title for GP and flopped.

Tango were HiFi Rush and I really get the impression it didn't do well enough. The shadow drop helped it a lot but had distinct "it's nice that they did that" energy.
    I've not seen official sales figures but it didn't trouble the top 100 most played on release in PS5.

Both are talented studios with varying degrees of slipups most recently. They easily could have put out good games still. I get the distinct impression if a Dev isn't putting out one of the handful of big hitters then they are on thin ice now.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's only part of Arkane anyway isn't it? The Redfall team, not the Dishonoured team I think. Dunno what they're working on now.

Massive shame for all who have lost their jobs. Really can't understand the Tango one. I didn't play their game but it was a critical success wasn't it? Dunno about sales because it released on Game Pass, but if making good games doesn't save you what will? It was stealth dropped too wasn't it, so no marketing either

Edit: Liv beat me to everything I wanted to say. He even remembered the name of the Tango game
  • Absolute joke. Spencer and Booty and the gang are the biggest bunch of slimy cunts going.
  • Absolute joke. Spencer and Booty and the gang are the biggest bunch of slimy cunts going.

Have you seen the DidyouKnowGaming Donkey Kong video from this weekend?

Starts off as a lost 3D DK game (that Vicarious Visions were working on, Nintendo actually liked but Bobby Kotek didn't see enough greedy in). Descends into the fall of Vicarious Visions. Including them saying they wanted THPS to include 3+4, ran low on time so settled for 1+2 only. Were well up for the follow up but we're closed. Tony Hawk of "I just get cheques arriving" fame even thought it was happening.
  • Dishonored sold well. 

Prey did not, but Deathloop seems to have done ok. Bit hard to find numbers, but they had 5 million players just over a year ago.

They seem like they would be adding value to Gamepass at any rate.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Dishonored sold well. 

Prey did not, but Deathloop seems to have done ok. Bit hard to find numbers, but they had 5 million players just over a year ago.

They seem like they would be adding value to Gamepass at any rate.

Aren't all those from the team that's still going? I don't know what the other team made outside of Redfall
  • Prey 2017 I think that's it.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Dishonored 1 was co-developed by Lyon and Austin, then they stopped co-developing with Lyon taking Dishonored and developing the sequel and also doing Deathloop.

Austin just did Prey and Redfall and was apparently a bit of a mess internally after Redfall with loads of people having left.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Dishonored sold well.  Prey did not, but Deathloop seems to have done ok. Bit hard to find numbers, but they had 5 million players just over a year ago. They seem like they would be adding value to Gamepass at any rate.
    Aren't all those from the team that's still going? I don't know what the other team made outside of Redfall

Was a response to this, other posts happened inbetween.
    b0r1s wrote:
    Arkane was never a massive seller was it? Loved by reviewers and a small set of gamers. Not what MS want obviously.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Now thinking about this and what Tango and Arkane have put out and I genuinely don't get it. NGL double fine must be looking over their shoulder.

And Obsidian.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Fair enough. It was just a perception I had about them as a whole.

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Didn't play Prey either but that was well received too wasn't it? I know there's been financial trouble around the industry for ages but it does feel like one dud and you're gone.

I saw something about the games with the highest player counts and play time last year was all on older established IPs, I think the only new IP which made it into the top ten was Starfield, the rest was old stuff like Fortnite etc.

It's very difficult for a new IP to break through. Makes publishers more risk averse, which sucks balls. More fresh games, fewer stale ones please
  • Didn't play Prey either but that was well received too wasn't it? I know there's been financial trouble around the industry for ages but it does feel like one dud and you're gone.

I saw something about the games with the highest player counts and play time last year was all on older established IPs, I think the only new IP which made it into the top ten was Starfield, the rest was old stuff like Fortnite etc.

It's very difficult for a new IP to break through. Makes publishers more risk averse, which sucks balls. More fresh games, fewer stale ones please

Yeah, Prey was absolute quality. I did the OP for that after the demo came out - a proper, proper immersive sim. Loved it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Prey was exceptional and then the DLC for it was all timer. Microsoft are really on a bit of a spiral here.
  • The impression I get is that these games don't deliver the return for MS that they now need after their spending spree, right at the hardest time in decades to make a good return on games. Because that's likely an unreasonable expectation.

They'll be looking at HiFi and Redfall and thinking it's not worth the risk on GP filler when they can just license a third party game for GP that someone else has taken the risk on and likely get a similar return.

It's sucks because it will leech out creativity from the industry. Its not just MS on this front mind, less risk is gonna be a thing.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I don't understand what the success criteria could possibly have been for HiFi Rush in particular. Didn't stand a chance did it?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Turning a great vibe for the concept of gamepass?
  • GP metrics I guess but yeah. It was never going set the world alight.
    I did think it might do better than it did on PS5 mind. Priced too high I think. It's £20 in the sale, should have launched at £20 on there.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I am the furthest thing from an analyst but I would suspect the realities of the Activision deal have hit home, and Microsoft's previous goal of being like the Netflix of games with multiple studios is now untenable so it's pay gamepass to cod.shite deal if so.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    playing that crab thing on gamepass and its great so yay microsoft
  • playing that crab thing on gamepass and its great so yay microsoft

Half Life is on Gamepass?
  • This news sucks. Not sure why MS wouldn't want to keep bankrolling smaller devs that are getting critical aclaim.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • At times like this even I can’t make a joke.

Really sad news and you wonder who is going to make the new off beat none franchise could be great games

I thought hifi rush got great reviews
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!