Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Poor Google, I guess they have to try and make a living somehow.
  • this will screw anyone filming in public no?

Facial recognition restrictions: The Terms of Service already state that you cannot collect any information that might identify a person without their permission. While this has always included facial recognition information, the new Terms make that explicitly clear.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • My adblocker is still working because I never see them unless they're embedded in the actual upload as part of the piece. I'm never playing Raid Shadow Legends or buying a Ridge wallet, fuck all y'all.
  • Brooks wrote:
    My adblocker is still working because I never see them unless they're embedded in the actual upload as part of the piece. I'm never playing Raid Shadow Legends or buying a Ridge wallet, fuck all y'all.

What’s your adblocker / OS / browser of choice?

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I don't see any YouTube ads either, using the ublock extension (weighs on Chrome and Edge at least). Pity there's nothing similar for mobile though.
  • Adblock works great for me on iPhone/iPad in safari.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I saw an advert for the first time on Monday. Updated the list and they’ve gone again.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    pantyfire wrote:
    Adblock works great for me on iPhone/iPad in safari.

Is it an app or an extension? I haven't looked for a specific app. I suppose though on mobile I tend to use the YouTube app so I doubt ads can be blocked on that. Might switch to the browser.
  • g.man wrote:
    This was always the long game for Google though. Get the world addicted and then monetise the fuck out of it. The amount of adverts in videos in recent months that can no longer be blocked is absolutely ridiculous. It's a clear push to try and force people to subscribe to their Premium service. Me? I'm not fucking biting. Thought it was interesting a number of months back when they introduced timeline chapter breaks for creators to use in their videos. When that appeared I raised an eyebrow and thought, well this is going to be used for ad-breaks eventually, and surprise surprise, here we are!

It's really infuriating how bad the ad situation is right now. I've seen them cropping up in pairs literally every 2-3 mins. But it can even be worse than that. Just earlier today I wanted to find a specific passage in a 30 min tutorial video, but wasn't sure exactly where it featured. Of course there's now two ads at the start, and after they finish I skip forward to somewhere in the middle. 2 more ads are shown. urgh. As the ads finish I realise I skipped forward too far, so try to rewind a little. That'll be two more ads. fnnnnghghnghg. 6 fucking ads for approx 5 seconds of video. 

They will never get a penny from me.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    They're getting their money from the advertisers so they don't care if you buy or not.
  • Then I shall endeavour never to spend a penny on anyone who advertises with them.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Brooks wrote:
    My adblocker is still working because I never see them unless they're embedded in the actual upload as part of the piece. I'm never playing Raid Shadow Legends or buying a Ridge wallet, fuck all y'all.
    What’s your adblocker / OS / browser of choice?

Just uBlock and Privacy Badger in Chrome, Windows. Nothing special?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    I prefer it when the ads line up with a natural break in the video tbh.

But it doesn't work. I worked on testing the midroll ads algorithm. It was clearly set to trigger at any point where volume and brightness dropped by a set percentage. Which works for scene changes, but also gives a false positive at very bad times for dramatic tension
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Kow wrote:
    pantyfire wrote:
    Adblock works great for me on iPhone/iPad in safari.

Is it an app or an extension? I haven't looked for a specific app. I suppose though on mobile I tend to use the YouTube app so I doubt ads can be blocked on that. Might switch to the browser.

It’s an app that installs blocker extensions in safari on iPhone.
    I drifted away from the YouTube app purely because the adverts were getting too much. Sometimes 4 ads in a single 10min video with a paid promotion as well.
    Too much.
  • Ublock and Privacy Badger does the job. I've used Vanced to avoid ads with the Youtube mobile app, there's probably other good options. I absolutely refuse to allow any ads to permeate my consciousness, the whole business is utterly rotten.
  • Ublock and Privacy Badger does the job. I've used Vanced to avoid ads with the Youtube mobile app, there's probably other good options. I absolutely refuse to allow any ads to permeate my consciousness, the whole business is utterly rotten.

Which, Ok agreed, but how do you support the creators? Are you patreon-ing, subscribing, buying stuff through affiliate links etc? Good content deserves support right?
  • Aye I subscribe etc when I can for people I watch regularly. I never do the affiliate link shit, that's just influencer rottenness that shouldn't be encouraged IMO.

The ad industry can die in a fire.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The ad industry is hideous. But YT infrastructure isn't free. It has to be paid for somehow.

I'm not defending it. It has become invasive recently to the point of it being compromised as something to use.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I must have some insane level of tolerance, I just scroll my phone for a few seconds or skip them when the option's there, it's hardly the end of days. Used to watch tv with much longer ad breaks that never had a skip option. Finger in the air I reckon I get maybe 1 or 2 ad breaks during most ~10min vids I watch and they're mostly skippable. By the time I've reached over to the pad to press skip the option's available.

I have come across the odd video that has ads ever couple of minutes, and they're frustrating for sure, but they're rare for me. For the amount of youtube I watch (which is a lot) hardly any screentime is ads.
  • Almost every video I'm watching has 2 pre-roll ads, one or two mid roll ad breaks, with a post video ad.

They have almost universally become 15-20 second unskipable ads.
  • Ah I get pre-roll ads most time too but they don't really bother me and most are skippable along with mid-ads.
  • The only ads that really get on my nerves are the Sky ones. First world problems meme as I don't even pay for the sub I just leech from a friend (in an unbalanced Netflix swap), but unskippable ad breaks during stuff that you're catching up on - on an already extortionate service - seem a bit much to me. I started Mare of Easttown yesterday and there were three sets of 6 adverts before/during a one hour episode.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think with streaming and so forth we've all become very used to no ads. I saw some normal tv a few weeks ago and there was an ads break. It freaked me out a bit. Having said that, I hate ads anyway and I'll block them by any means possible.
  • I didn't even bother to install an ad blocker until about a year ago. Sure, ads were always annoying, but back then it was a case of occasionally seeing 1 ad pre video, and I think this was basically my tolerance threshold, where blocking them didn't seem worth the hassle (admittedly it turned out to be not much hassle at all, but as someone who is shit with computers I didn't know this at the time). But then they started upping the ads exponentially, and so action had to be taken to curtail that weird bubbling frustration that builds up inside me whenever I'm forced to witness some brand's vapid image projection. eughh

Now I have tasted ad-free internet I can't go back. I wouldn't have even grown accustomed to the flavour had they not gotten so greedy.
  • I wouldn't mind so much if the quality of adverts was a bit higher but it's been a steady decline since Chambourcy's Hippopotamousse.
  • Yeah, doesn't help that ads are mostly utterly awful.

I'd like the strangle whoever does the BT voiceovers for Paula.
  • Ads put me off YouTube and to be honest that's not a bad thing. I tend to find it a time sink and have hidden the app on my phone. I can't really begrudge anyone making money of it if I'm honest, it's a huge amount of content for free. I'll click on it only for subscriptions and a 2 minute ad for some red letter media is a fair trade.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Most of the money is probably going to YouTube rather than anyone actually creating content. They upped their requirements to be in the YouTube Partner Program, and are now saying they'll run ads on channels that aren't in it if they want. But if you aren't in the YPP, you'll see none of the revenue.
  • Thats a bit shit. Although I'm guessing that the money that can be made if you do get the numbers high enough make it worthwhile. There's certainly enough people pumping out content all the time to indicate that there must be some value.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yup, lets not pretend this recent influx of advertising fuckery is anything to do with content creators.
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!