EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Watching JJ Trek. Yes I like it. 

So it sets up alternative timeline due to Romulans. So how did Kirk's dad die without this?

Unknown, it was written out of TOS episode The Conscience of the King where the writer wanted his murder to be a core part of the episode's plot. His apparent death was also to have been a plot point in a proposed film prequel but this was not produced (although the basic premise of this project was an influence on the 2009 film).
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Cheers ERE.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    I was wrong the other day, Green Lantern isn't the worst film ever made, JJ Abrams Adventures in Space is.
    Did you even hate Urban's Bones?
    Nothing really wrong with the cast. Despite hating the J-brams, I liked Beyond, and would like to see them make more. Hopefully with Jaylah in the crew.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I was wrong the other day, Green Lantern isn't the worst film ever made, JJ Abrams Adventures in Space is.
    Nothing really wrong with the cast. Despite hating the J-brams, I liked Beyond, and would like to see them make more. Hopefully with Jaylah in the crew.

Yeah, I think the casting was super strong in the new movies and, like you, I enjoyed Beyond. Had a nice classic feel to it (albeit with some popcorn BIG BOOM concessions).
  • *whispers* I liked the 3 J-brams movies...

Not necessarily as star trek but as space action movies they worked. At times discovery was similar and I enjoyed that in parts.
    SFV - reddave360
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:

I don't get the JJ hate. Yes he loves lens flare a bit much and he loves not answering his own setup, but he knows how to direct action.
  • I liked the first JJ Trek, second wasnt as good but the third was just rubbish I thought.
    Agree the casting was on point.

Any word on when Pike's show is coming out?
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • I thought the first one nailed the balance between nostalgia and feeling new. And yeah, the casting was excellent – with the exception of Simon Pegg.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Decided to cancel Amazon Prime so finished off Lower Decks. I have mixed feelings about it - on the one hand it's the only Star Trek since 2009 that feels genuinely aimed at fans of the franchise from TOS to ENT, and is perhaps even the most successful CBS spin-off on its own terms. But on the other, it almost feels too zany to fit in with the rest of the Star Trek universe, and it often feels neither laugh-out-loud funny or genuinely dramatic. The constant beeped out swearing is also a bit lame, IMO. I thought the last two episodes were good though and it was starting to win me over. Perhaps I'll feel a bit more solid about it if it improves in season 2.
  • If they could tone down the zany bollocks it could be pretty cool.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    The constant beeped out swearing is also a bit lame, IMO.

Na, they understand the basics of comedy. Bleeps are funny.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    First look at Star Trek Prodigy (if the image works):

EvBmg-NXMAAc80U?format=jpg&name=large

Seems like the Section 31 show has been put on ice until one of the other shows finishes.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Na, they understand the basics of comedy. Bleeps are funny.
    Surely it stops being funny if you keep doing it.
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    First look at Star Trek Prodigy (if the image works):
    I would never in a million years have guessed that image had anything to do with Star Trek.
  • It looks like the Disney Infinity house style to me.

Is Janeway still going to be in that?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Apparently we're getting Discovery Season 4 this year, which I'm vaguely surprised about.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Cash Kow
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Fair play to Kurtzman for being able to convince the executives that Trek is the next big thing and they should churn out as many shows as possible.

With all this TV, they must also do a movie before long?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I'm curious as to whether Discovery is done after Season 4 because it seems odd they're openly discussing the Section 31 show and have set it up in universe but are talking about "waiting for attrition" of Trek shows and apparently not doing it until another show leaves. Now that Trek is orienting around Paramount+ I would imagine there would also be issues around rights with Discovery due to the Netflix deals etc. - also, I was always under the impression weren't necessarily looking for it to run as long as TNG etc. anyway but I can't remember where I've got that from.
  • Streaming services generally don’t want long-running shows. As much as fans might enjoy them, all the Netflix data shows clearly that new subscriptions are driven by new exclusive shows. The latest shiny series brings in the most money. Netflix work to the model that two or three seasons is ideal, and investing in more isn’t profitable.

That could change, if user patterns change.

Discovery’s an outlier because it’s licensed from a network. The network probably see it as worth running for many seasons, so who knows what might happen with it.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Makes sense. The hype disappears after the first season. Explains why they cancelled all their Marvel series.
    startreknielsenratingaverage2.jpg
  • Yeah, Netflix’s model is all about about growth - adding new subscribers. And they’ve learned that by season three a show isn’t drawing in new blood any more. It’s why most Netflix originals don’t make it past season two. The ones that do are often collaborative productions with traditional TV networks, who have different goals.
  • The odd thing is that Game Of Thrones did grow in later seasons. Probably an exception to a rule though and you need incredible reviews and hype to pull it off. GoT might even be an example of why finishing in 4 seasons is better from a business point of view, viewers are more likely to rewatch a clean ending and you don't have spiraling wages.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I kind of felt like GoT was the last big TV show. It was tied to Sky obviously but loads of people watched it even people who didn’t have Sky officially (cough). It was talked about by all different sorts of people at work.

I kind of feel now, due to them algos, that people will rarely have that big collective TV experience anymore.
  • For shows not based on books there is a drop off of quality normally if it goes beyond 4-5 seasons. That was the justification for stopping Battlestar Galactica after 4 seasons. Though ST is an exception as TNG/DS9/VOYAGER improved as they went on.

Netflix cancelled the Marvel series's because of disney +. I think netflix have the current marvel shows for x number of years before they will be removed and appear on disney +
  • Star Trek's merch line will likely have an impact on run length
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @Dino I watched this lovely video of what Paramount nicked from Babylon 5 for DS9. It’s pretty clear they blatantly plagiarised the shit out of it.

Spoilers in some of it if you are going back to B5 Dino.

• b0r1s wrote:
    @Dino I watched this lovely video of what Paramount nicked from Babylon 5 for DS9. It’s pretty clear they blatantly plagiarised the shit out of it.

Spoilers in some of it if you are going back to B5 Dino.

I will watch ta. I think i got to the last season. I'll have to stream it again as its not on netflix or prime.

What with all the shows that seem to be coming back from the 90s. I think a new Babylon 5 could be a goer.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    They’ve just remastered it on HBO and Apple iTunes. Back to original 4:3 aspect ratio. They rescanned all the original film as it was shot on 35mm and set it at HD. The FX have had to stay with what they had, so no improvements, but it definitely looks sharper. I’ll probably get that version in a couple years.
  • Ohh missus still has her apple tv trial. Will have a look to see if its on there.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Would love a rewatch of Babylon 5, haven’t seen it since it originally aired. As it’s a Warner/HBO Max show it will likely pop up on other streaming platforms outside the US.
    Things can only get better.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!