Art
  • Unlikely wrote:
    I think they're really good.  They have a lovely simplicity yet there's a lot more to them too.  Eloquent, I think.
    I really don't want to single you out but it's this kind of meaningless drivel that I find, frankly, abhorrent.  I quite like both of those pictures.  They make my retina ping things to my occipital lobe and those things are then processed further.  I don't feel the need to be pretentious about it.
    You clearly do want to single me out - as usual - otherwise you wouldn't. Anyhoo, I don't see how my description is meaningless or drivelish.  They are both simple pictures.  They are both lovely.  There's more to them than the obvious simplicity of their form, such as the nice interplay of colours and textures in the wave one particularly, which I think is pretty nicely executed and thus eloquent.

Would you like to explain how "pretty nicely executed" equals "eloquent"?
  • Sorry.  Keep up the good work, Moto :)
  • IMAG0334.jpg?height=212&width=320
    IMAG0398.jpg?height=200&width=133

Fixed them
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • They're a bit small.
  • They is far away
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I like what I can see but I can't see much at that distance.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    How the fuck can a painting be eloquent? This isn't Harry fucking Potter.

His use of fewer than fifty shades of grey elicits a discordant circus of unlikely composition.
  • I like what I can see but I can't see much at that distance.

go to my site if you can. Not been able to link them properly yet. Sorry.
  • Oh yeah, good point, thanks.
  • Escape wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    How the fuck can a painting be eloquent? This isn't Harry fucking Potter.
    His use of fewer than fifty shades of grey elicits a discordant circus of unlikely composition.

Eloquent - Vividly or movingly expressive.  Clearly expressing or indicating something.

Any art is capable of being eloquent - that's often the point of creating it in the first place.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Don't be shooting a bunker brother, Gorsy.
  • Sorry, lazy requoting - wasn't aiming at you.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I think I'm right in thinking that some folk here like cats so here's a few pictures whose detail is ever so slightly enhanced from my own daubings, oh, I almost forgot...

...these are drawn using a mechanical pencil.

7612453906_9fd27fe124_b_d.jpg

7612455474_63545249fa_b_d.jpg

7612456280_8a1a613a43_b_d.jpg
  • Those pencil drawings are brilliant in so much of the craft and talent but when youre focusing on that rather than the picture itself then its missing the whole point of art isnt it?
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • three1ne wrote:
    Those pencil drawings are brilliant in so much of the craft and talent but when youre focusing on that rather than the picture itself then its missing the whole point of art isnt it?

That's my take on them.
    The technical skill and ability are outstanding but artistically I see them as no more than an pointless exercise.
    The reason being to slavishly copy something exactly is a bit if a waste of time when you can just photograph it and get the same result instantly, especially as the artist was probably working from a photo anyway as that type of pencil work takes an extremely long time to produce.
    There is nothing of the 'artist' himself/herself in those drawings.

BUT here we hit the thorny issue of what is art bollocks. All you need is the creator to say something like "I am exploring mans redundancy in an increasingly mechanical world, blah, blah, blah" and all of a sudden they are art again.

Don't argue about art. No one can win.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I'm not sure whether to put this in art or current affairs but I see that that floating waste of money Nowhereisland, which is deemed art for what reason I simply cannot comprehend, will be visiting my home town in a few weeks. Brilliant, we can all stand where the Belly of the South is going to be built and take photos as the floating turd gets dragged past...
  • All you need is the creator to say something like "I am exploring mans redundancy in an increasingly mechanical world, blah, blah, blah" and all of a sudden they are art again.

They are bad art by a bad artist if that happens. You do not prescribe, only present.

Also the point of hyper-tech realcore is the pleasure and challenge afforded to the practitioner.
  • The Tate Modern is rife with blurbs like that.
    Displaying technical prowess is all very well and might be a useful addition to one's portfolio but I find stuff like those cat drawings a bit of a hollow exercise, lacking in imagination - a bit of a waste of such obvious skill really.
  • The Tate Modern is rife with blurbs like that.

I try to never look at these. Helps that they tend to be really small. Haven't been to any kind of gallery for ages mind.

If we accept the wow factor of shmup skillplays on Youtube - and very few do I suppose - we can accept a guy who draws cats like a machine.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I'd rather have picture of my dogs drawn by pencil guy on my wall than I would having one of Emin's used tammy's.

Yes art is subjective but what makes those cats pointless or shit and yet Sunflowers is supposed to be amazing?
  • Sunflowers are shit too.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Moto70 wrote:
    I'd rather have picture of my dogs drawn by pencil guy on my wall than I would having one of Emin's used tammy's. Yes art is subjective but what makes those cats pointless or shit and yet Sunflowers is supposed to be amazing?

Basically, comes down to how much chatter the latter has attracted over the ages. Which is to say, little of consequence.

Van Gogh bores the shit outta me.
  • I am really impressed with the skill displayed in photorealistic painting. That is all.
  • Moto70 wrote:
    I'd rather have picture of my dogs drawn by pencil guy on my wall than I would having one of Emin's used tammy's. Yes art is subjective but what makes those cats pointless or shit and yet Sunflowers is supposed to be amazing?
    I wouldn't say the cats are shit or pointless (they are impressive), but basically Van Gogh gives you a different way of seeing the world, cat drawing man simply replicates it.
  • Strictly, the zoom level is pretty specific, not to mention the monochrome.
  • I wonder whether tetrachromatic women appreciate art more.
  • This is also on my wall.  My dad painted it.

photo202307201220042058.jpg
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Your dad's rubbish.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Nah he's alright.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I know it's not brilliant, but I like it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!