Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    How much should I sell my non working, mame arcade cab for, if I decide to sell it? Weighing up options atm.
    No takers / ideas for this? I'll do some research, but figured there may be ppl in the know.
    Depends. Full-size official cabinets go for over a grand. If it's home-made and not working, just a few hundred (find the cost of an equivalent sized kit).

What isn't working? The screen?

I'd imagine a MAME cabinet is getting pretty easy to put together now. There are Ikea style kits available. With a Pi onboard and a flat monitor all you need is a decent arcade control - probably the dearest bit of it tbh.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The cab is exactly this one except with a different control panel on the front (more standard ball top, 2p, 6 button layout, no Spikeout art):

Oer3Xcw.jpg

It was gutted entirely and replaced with mame innards, afaik.

It stopped working because of the CRT, we think - it's come on but never fully warm up. You can hear the selection noises if you move the sticks etc.

It's a bit messy on the inside but the shell is solid.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    They tend not to look too pretty inside. The inside of my Asteroids is very basic looking - was built from fairly thick plywood which explains its heft.

If the CRT has gone you could easily switch in a flat screen if it's a MAME cab as it's probably just VGA.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yeah probably, I don't want to even try ripping the crt out though.

It's in my dining room atm and I'm just starting to get things furnished properly, and this big Spikeout cab kinda ruins the decor. Teenage me wants it, mid-30s me wants a record player there or something.

Decisions.

The amount it'd go for could well determine this decision.
  • Put it in another room.
  • Put it in another room.

It sure as fuck ain't going up my stairs, or down my other stairs.

Down is too narrow, up is bendy and the thing is surprisingly heavy.
  • Yeah it would be a shame to get rid of it, I think the most egregious part is the artwork; maybe I'll get an artist to make it look more modern or something.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’ll come around and draw cocks on it with tipp-ex for a small fee.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I’ll come around and draw cocks on it with tipp-ex for a small fee.

Well I am pretty, might well add a few quid to the asking price
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Eeeeehhhh. I mean when you say the crack in the ceiling is 1cm wide do you literally mean at its widest point there is a full cm clear from one side to the other?

I don't think that beam is doing much load bearing other than supporting the smaller studs that the ceiling is fixed to.

Is the ceiling crack directly below the crack?

The only thing I could see was that the beam appeared to be splitting where it was against the truss holding up the roof. Could be possible that the truss/roof had moved/ settled a bit and its pushing on the beam and caused the split.

Get someone to check it for sure, but I wouldn't start praying yet.

Oh oh, have you hung anything heavy from tbe ceiling in the room where the crack is? I say heavy but I mean like a punching bag, or some statement big ass pendant light fitting?

Edit: Went back for a second look, ignore the bit about the truss pushing on it, cos I saw in the vid they aren't touching.

Double edit: missed the ceiling photo, just seen it, crack doesn't look that bad. Final Rouj advice: if you're scared, get someone to check it. It looks okay though to me, and if it were me I'd monitor both to see if they were growing or not. If they aren't, it's probably nothing, just the house settling. If the cracks get bigger over the course I'd a few days or a week, probably very someone to look at it. But I think it's nothing serious, based on the pics and video.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Thanks for the reply. 1cm for the ceiling crack is being generous its smaller in most places. The ceiling crack could be completely unrelated to the thing in the loft. They are roughly in the same area, i will check if exactly later. I guess i need to move everything and understand what that beam doing as well.

About a year a guy i paid somebody to remove a built in desk and put a big built in wardrobe in. It's very close to the area. It doesn't touch the ceiling but there was a lot of banging. Thats the only thing i think that could be related. Also our loft is ridiculously overfull.
  • I'm refusing to click on the link because I had a crack in my front room ceiling that dwarfed the one being described and just filled it in.
  • Ground floor ceiling cracks are usually nothing serious moot, is the kids room above the living room? I've seen people get cracked ceilings cos their kids used to jump around on their bed like lunatics.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Djornson wrote:
    Also our loft is ridiculously overfull.

Get rid of everything you'll never use, which is probably all of it.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Roujin wrote:
    Ground floor ceiling cracks are usually nothing serious moot, is the kids room above the living room? I've seen people get cracked ceilings cos their kids used to jump around on their bed like lunatics.
    Explains the cracks in my flat.
    Like a heard of obese elephants with epilepsy.

• There's a loft conversion above it (which isn't used all that much). It was a whopper, but it hasn't reappeared since I bodge fixed it (maybe 5 years ago now).
  • Ours is completely empty.  I need to get hold of loads of stuff I don't need so I can fill it up.
  • Okay I copied this off the internet, it's crack analysis/ putting minds at ease time!

Fine, Straight Crack: These cracks can be caused when a drywall joint wasn't properly taped or mudded. The tape may not be sticking to the drywall and so a "crack" appears where the edge of the tape is. You can either ignore this or apply a small bit of drywall compound to the loose tape and stick it back on.

Discolored Crack: If the crack is yellow or brown, it is most likely being caused by a water leak. Once the leak is repaired, you can re-tape the drywall, making it look like new again. If the drywall is swollen or soft, you will want to replace the section.

Small Spiderweb Cracks: A thinned drywall compound is used to make a textured ceiling. However, if the compound was applied too thickly, it can crack in all directions. You can cover the cracks with a layer of thin drywall compound or you can sand off the old compound and reapply it.

Horizontal Crack Between the Ceiling and Wall: This may be caused by something called "truss uplift". The trusses holding up your roof are designed to move a little bit to absorb changes caused by temperature and humidity. The truss may move upward, lifting the ceiling with it. It's not going to cause any structural problems, but if you want to repair it, you will probably want to hire a professional.

Cracks in Plaster Ceilings: If you live in a home with plaster ceilings and you begin to see cracks, they may be caused by moisture and/or movement. If they are small, you can repair them with new plaster. If they are bigger and sections of plaster are falling, you will probably have to remove the plaster and install with a drywall section.

Large Cracks and a Bowed Ceiling: If your ceiling is sagging, you need to have the problem addressed. If something heavy is above the ceiling, the ceiling can sag. You will need to move the heavy object. Other causes may be the removal of a load-bearing wall or damage to the support structure. This type of issue will require an inspection by a structural engineer or contractor. This is a situation that needs to be repaired quickly, before it gets worse.
  • Djorn can help you out
  • Unlikely: You can have all my dad's stuff if you want. We took it out the loft (and various rooms of the house) and put it in a sizable garage we rent. It's nearly full. Surely someone wants a load of those massive floppy discs, boxes of 70s train timetables (not just one - reams of the same timetable) and three quarters of a Morris Minor?
  • Djorn can help you out

I don't want to fill my loft with cracks.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Djorn can help you out
    I don't want to fill my loft with cracks.

Just the singular then?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You could fill your crack with a loft.
  • rouj wrote:
    I'd monitor both to see if they were growing or not. If they aren't, it's probably nothing, just the house settling. If the cracks get bigger over the course I'd a few days or a week, probably very someone to look at it.

Rouj is the pro in the room, but I’m currently in the middle of an £80k+ repair project to fix the structural cracks that appeared in my flat last year, so allow me to fire in too.

If you’re cool with investing a few quid to put your mind at ease, you could buy one or two crack measurement gadgets. They’re called ‘telltales’ and they’re complex little movable stickers that you stick across the crack(s) and check back on periodically. They’ll tell you if the crack is continuing to widen, and if it is, they’ll tell you by exactly how much. You can then present that evidence to a structural engineer if necessary (ie. if they show that shit’s still going down). Hopefully they confirm that the crack has settled and if so you can now just repair it and forget about it – probably just by filling and painting.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=crack+telltales
  • Djornson wrote:
    Got a crack in the ceiling, 60cm by 1cm, probably no big deal, right? Look in the loft above this crack, find a pretty big crack in a wooden beam. I don't know what the wooden beam is for and therefore dont know if should be concerned.

Out of interest, what's the ventilation like in the loft? Our house survey indicated that our loft had bad ventilation and that this could cause damage to the beams over time. Got 4 slates replaced with vents.

PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • From my desk at work I can see the roof of an adjacent building.  At the right hand side a cable is fixed to the wall section that rises slightly higher then the roof itself.  This cable stretches all the way to the other side of the roof where it is similarly tethered.  What is it for?  Do not say "holding the walls up" because we've already done that gag.

oOGmCuX.jpg
  • All weather novice tightrope training?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Leprechaun washing line?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!