The TV you like thread
  • If I didn't have Prime for the delivery service, i certainly wouldn't have it for the streaming, christ.

I don't want a Disney streaming service, and I wouldn't pay for one. If they launch one, I'll torrent any of the superhero shows.

Netflix is great because it has everyone's stuff on. If it only had Netflix content, it wouldn't be worth it. Only Disney content wouldn't be worth it either. If it's free with adverts like YouTube, but also there is an app I can use to watch it on my consoles like YouTube, perhaps.
  • I think everyone is forgetting just how wide Disney's net is these days. Disney, Marvel, Lucasfilm, Pixar, Fox, Touchstone, Buena Vista, ABC, ESPN, The History Channel... Plus any more companies they decide to acquire as they launch Disney+. Plus any new original content they make for the service. Plus (most likely) anything Apple make...
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • I don't, that's the reason I'm surprised they're branding it as Disney.
  • Jaco wrote:
    I think everyone is forgetting just how wide Disney's net is these days. Disney, Marvel, Lucasfilm, Pixar, Fox, Touchstone, Buena Vista, ABC, ESPN, The History Channel... Plus any more companies they decide to acquire as they launch Disney+. Plus any new original content they make for the service. Plus (most likely) anything Apple make...

It's still not comparable to the range of content Netflix has. They have shows from pretty much every network.
  • Oh, absolutely.

But Netflix has nowhere near the money or clout of Disney (and Apple) if they decide to go on an acquisition / exclusive content binge...
  • 'Escape to the Country with Solid Snake'
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Jaco wrote:
    Oh, absolutely.

But Netflix has nowhere near the money or clout of Disney (and Apple) if they decide to go on an acquisition / exclusive content binge...

Netflix are spending $9BN on producing content this year.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Oh, absolutely. But Netflix has nowhere near the money or clout of Disney (and Apple) if they decide to go on an acquisition / exclusive content binge...

Apple have £200bn in cash reserves. Disney have tens of billions in cash reserve. Netflix, although a superb business model, still have to raise capital to invest. If Apple and Disney take the gloves off (which I reckon they may – the future is content after all), Netflix haven't got a prayer.

EDIT: For clarity, I'm not a Netflix hater. I have a Netflix account and really love their content and model. But in a street fight with Apple and Disney they haven't got a chance.
  • Nah, it's Apple who are fucked in that scenario
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    No doubt Apple and Disney have more cash, but Netflix is hardly poor.

Fuck knows what they have in reserve too. This is just their budget for this year.
  • The real challenger is when Google/YT wake up and start making/buying decent content, not shit like the PewPieWhatever Sitcom Show.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    No doubt Apple and Disney have more cash, but Netflix is hardly poor. Fuck knows what they have in reserve too. This is just their budget for this year.

Netflix have stuff all in reserve.
  • Any such takeover would be subject to the US version of the Monopoly's and Mergers Commission though, and surely wouldn't be allowed?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Netflix’s foothold in the market will be hard to shift too. Netflix and chill has entered the language, that plus the fact that they are already managing to produce original shows that will keep people returning is quite a big advantage that won’t be shifted simply through chucking money around.
  • WorKid wrote:
    The real challenger is when Google/YT wake up and start making/buying decent content, not shit like the PewPieWhatever Sitcom Show.

As I said earlier, they've recently started on that road.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Jaco wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    No doubt Apple and Disney have more cash, but Netflix is hardly poor. Fuck knows what they have in reserve too. This is just their budget for this year.

Netflix have stuff all in reserve.

Oof.

Still, they’re in an excellent position anyway. I can’t see them going anywhere just yet.
  • Disney have 100 years of beloved content. 
    It won't be that hard to get subs.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    won’t be shifted simply through chucking money around.

Unless Apple or Disney buy them. Which is the usual way both companies enter a market - they buy their way in.
  • AJ wrote:
    WorKid wrote:
    The real challenger is when Google/YT wake up and start making/buying decent content, not shit like the PewPieWhatever Sitcom Show.
    As I said earlier, they've recently started on that road.

For reference:
    https://www.youtube.com/premium

This is their funded content. Obviously it's all shit, but they're playing the long game and focusing on a different demographic to the others.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqVDpXKLmKeBU_yyt_QkItQ
  • Plus, they get extra traction because idiots will pay to be able to shit quality play music from YouTube on in the background on their phones.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Jaco wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    won’t be shifted simply through chucking money around.

Unless Apple or Disney buy them. Which is the usual way both companies enter a market - they buy their way in.

Just had a quick look at this. Apparently Netflix is currently valued at $92BN. That’s a hell of a lot. I can’t see Apple spending half it’s cash reserves on that. Disney maybe, but even then, if Disney spent half that on making its own streaming service it would be in an excellent position to compete.
  • Jaco wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Oh, absolutely. But Netflix has nowhere near the money or clout of Disney (and Apple) if they decide to go on an acquisition / exclusive content binge...
    Apple have £200bn in cash reserves. Disney have tens of billions in cash reserve. Netflix, although a superb business model, still have to raise capital to invest. If Apple and Disney take the gloves off (which I reckon they may – the future is content after all), Netflix haven't got a prayer. EDIT: For clarity, I'm not a Netflix hater. I have a Netflix account and really love their content and model. But in a street fight with Apple and Disney they haven't got a chance.

This doesn't really make sense though. Netflix has a userbase of 137 million subscribers. It's built in to basically every smart TV made in the last 5 years. Any competitor, no matter who it is has a huge way to go to catch up with that.

Apple might have $200 billion in reserve, but do they really want to blow through it jumping into a market they have no experience of? I just really can't see Apple becoming a major player here.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s certainly something Apple’s been dabbling in, I just can’t see them jumping in with some huge acquisition like this. When they wanted to start Apple Music, they bought Beats, not Spotify.
  • Netflix has a userbase of 137 million subscribers.

How many people have Apple devices? How many kids watch Disney. I'm not saying I think they definitely will buy Netflix, I'm saying they have the clout, userbase and free cash reserves to dominant the sector if they really wanted to.
  • how's the Disney+ thing different to Disney Life? Are they going to merge them?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Apple have never shown an interest in the netflix steaming model. as others on here have said Disney are a behmoth who could easily give amazon and netflix a run for their money.

Star Wars tv show "the mandolorian" and marvel content will definitely pull in scifi fans. Disney back catalogue plus pixaar stuff will pull in the parents woth kids
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Apple have never shown an interest in the netflix steaming model.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/news/apple/apple-streaming-service-3610603/
  • Also, people seem to be missing the fact the Apple and Disney are very, very close. Have been since Jobs was CEO of Pixar and got a seat on the Disney Board. Iger (Disney's CEO) is still on the Apple board. Anything they do in this arena, I've a feeling they'll spread the risk across both companies.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    When they wanted to start Apple Music, they bought Beats, not Spotify.

Bit of a tangent here, but there was a lot more to that deal than music streaming. Apple were buying into mass production of variety for the fashion accessory market, because they wanted to start making watches.

Also, Spotify don’t make money. Beats did/do.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Most analysts at the time had Apple down as being interested in the streaming side rather than the headphones, but YMMV.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!