Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Sounds like an alcoholics meeting up point.
  • Put a brown bag on their doorstep and set it on fire.
  • They are competent enough at what they do, that preschool kid fodder. I dont blame them for taking the contract either.
    You have to ask what Netflix/BBC were doing commisioning them. I suspect Netflix didnt want to give it too much time and money given it likely won't have much global appeal (it's not exactly Minions). BBC likely insisted it be kept local,

Should have gone to Eastern Europe, there are great animation houses over there, cheap and the region has a long history with dark animation.
  • One of the first things they revealed, other than some of the voice cast, was that they were steering it away from the darkness (unfortunately it looks like they ended up in Mr. McGreggor's garden).
  • Why steer away from the darkness?
    Mental.

I'm not even that bothered by Watership Down but I know that is a big part of the appeal.
  • It's probably the first thing that springs to mind for most people when they hear or read the title, an odd decision for sure.  

Review.

Snippet:
    Nobody is suggesting the BBC should explicitly set out to unsettle unsuspecting viewers and no doubt there would be an outcry if Watership Down arrived slathered in buckets of blood. But without the darkness is Watership Down really Watership Down? And if you take away that malice and melancholy, what’s left? It’s a question the new adaptation never gets around to answering.
  • Finished The Sinner S2.  Slightly irritated but grudgingly impressed that the obvious and hugely telgraphed twist* wasn't actually the twist and the actual twist was that the obvious twist wasn't actually the twist after all.

Spoiler:
  • Unlikely wrote:
    … the actual twist was that the obvious twist wasn't actually the twist after all.

Yep. That nails it. Good series, I wasn’t expecting it to match up to the first.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yar, preferred it to the first series.
  • I preferred the first.  Second relied too much on "spooky weirdo cult" tropes.  Still compelling stuff though, and I hope there's a third.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I always enjoy the spooky weirdo cult trope.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    A third would be good but I hope they can make Bill Pullman look less like Robin Williams, it's very distracting.
  • I’m with Unlikely. First season best. But I was impressed that the second held up.
  • I can picture in my mind's ear exactly how Pullman would say 'spooky weirdo cult tropes'.
  • Sinner 2 finished. Meh.

But also, young Vera. Woof.
  • One more episode of House of Cards to go. Just glad they had the decency to restrict this season to 8 episodes. It's utter trash.
  • I didn't realise it was only 8 episodes. Sacked it off after watching the first, as me & the better half couldn't stomach another 12.

Might be able to stomach 8 for full closure tho.....one day, maybe. Perhaps.
  • More and more I feel like The Good Place is hindered by its short run time. For the show it wants to be, more than a series of jokes, it dilutes the number of jokes which might be fine if every joke was a smash hit but about half the jokes are just standard boring repetive crap (chidi has a stomach ache!).

The whole feeling this series has been so meandering and directionless which felt like it was for the purpose of creating har di har situations but they didn’t feel real to me, just kind of OTT to the point of drunkenness.
  • But have you've seen Janet(s)?
  • I thought Chidi's stomach aches were meant to be more a quick short-hand for showing when he's exceptionally stressed than a joke at this point.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    TGP isn’t all that funny, but it may just be the most wildly inventive sitcom ever made. That counts for something, to me at least.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    TGP isn’t all that funny, but it may just be the most wildly inventive sitcom ever made. That counts for something, to me at least.

Exactly that.  The standard sitcom formula is "how can we ensure that by the end of the episode everything is back to where we started from?"  Whilst that's changed over time, The Good Place is the only sitcom that (now) seems to actively say "how can we completely tear everything up before the next episode, but still keep the characters true to themselves?"  

It's not "The Most Hilarious Sitcom Of All Time", but it is, as you say, easily the most inventive.

Also agree that Chidi's stomach aches aren't a joke, so much as a signifier, both of his anxiety and latterly...
    Spoiler:
  • dammit Tin, isn't that last bit a spoiler for someone (like me) only on Episode 8 of this series?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Not really, TBF. It won’t spoil anything.
  • dammit Tin, isn't that last bit a spoiler for someone (like me) only on Episode 8 of this series?

The reason it was on another line was because I intended to spoiler tag it.  Then I didn't for some bizarre reason.  Really sorry.

Relax, it isn’t what you think it might be.

• WorKid wrote:
    But have you've seen Janet(s)?

I have, I expected more. I think a full episode of that might have been great but it wasn’t.

I appreciate its inventiveness but it feels a bit too loosey goosey. Anything is possible in the show and it constantly creates new sticking plasters to cover up the holes.
    Spoiler:

If plot wasn’t important (which it shouldn’t be) it shouldn’t be so keen to insert plot and explanations into the show.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    dammit Tin, isn't that last bit a spoiler for someone (like me) only on Episode 8 of this series?
    The reason it was on another line was because I intended to spoiler tag it.  Then I didn't for some bizarre reason.  Really sorry.
    No probs. I didn't mean it to come out quite as 'upset', was initially going for a jokey outrage but also pointing out if it is a spoiler might be best to hide it anyway! But it's too early, and I've not enough coffee and wit to pull it off as intended! :)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I tried hard to get into TGP, watched all of season 1 and a few episodes of season 2, but I just found the zany-ness of it tiresome in the end. It's definitely a refreshingly different comedy to most US fare, but I have no intention of revisiting.
  • Didn't know a thing about this, but it looks intriguing. Kind of X-Men with a dash of Lemony Snicket weirdness and Watchmen superhero subversion. Could be great. Could be less great. We'll see...

Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!