The TV you like thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Peter Falk was the highest paid person on TV for several years. Easy to forget how massive that show was.

He did a really nice turn roasting Frank Sinatra as Colombo....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_UN2S8SasY
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Love the episode he actually likes the female killer
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I love that the creators response to continual network pressure for more supporting characters was to give him a crap car. Then when the network came back asking for the same thing they gave him an unnamed dog.

It is probably the best television show ever made. Until it switched networks anyway. The Beeb bought the early ones and ITV bought the later ones. So there was a useful way of telling if the episode was likely to be good or not.
  • Things I love about Columbo:

1. Peter Falk. It's unusual to see such a talent more or less stay with one project for so long, but I'm glad he did. It also helps that Columbo is such a good character to play. A real talent.

2. The Crime Writing. So imaginative and it needs to be when it can't hide behind a cliffhanger whodunnit. The reveal is the cleverness in how he catches them, and it's nearly always satisfyingly smart. No shocks all brains.

4. California. Sunny rose-tinted loveleness. Late 60's and 70's the best, but always a pleasure. The 70's clothing and posh dinner parties. Everyone looks cool and everyone has a drinks cabinet that only stocks Scotch and champagne, apart from fashion shambles Columbo.

5. Smoking. It's everywhere and cool as fuck.

6. The missus. Always mentioned but never seen. 

7. Film-length episodes. When it's this good you take your time. Always.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • 6. The missus. Always mentioned but never seen.

Yep. Except...
    Spoiler:
  • Love the episode where he pretended it it was his flat to catch the guy
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Watching more of American Gods S1.

I'm starting to like it more actually.
    Spoiler:
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Things I love about Columbo:

1. Peter Falk. It's unusual to see such a talent more or less stay with one project for so long, but I'm glad he did. It also helps that Columbo is such a good character to play. A real talent.

2. The Crime Writing. So imaginative and it needs to be when it can't hide behind a cliffhanger whodunnit. The reveal is the cleverness in how he catches them, and it's nearly always satisfyingly smart. No shocks all brains.

4. California. Sunny rose-tinted loveleness. Late 60's and 70's the best, but always a pleasure. The 70's clothing and posh dinner parties. Everyone looks cool and everyone has a drinks cabinet that only stocks Scotch and champagne, apart from fashion shambles Columbo.

5. Smoking. It's everywhere and cool as fuck.

6. The missus. Always mentioned but never seen. 

7. Film-length episodes. When it's this good you take your time. Always.

8. Just one more thing.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    TBF, I wasn’t expecting a second series, and certainly not one as good as this. The chances of a third season remaining at this standard were always pretty low.
  • Good. All the best British sitcoms are two or three seasons long anyway. Maximum four, but in that specific case series one doesn't count.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It does not.
  • davyK wrote:
    Watching more of American Gods S1. I'm starting to like it more actually.
    Spoiler:
    That's exactly what it is about.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Yeah I don’t want more fleabag unless it’s in the context of miles away from the current one where she is in a different phase of her life. Perhaps someone who is closer to the person she met on the awards ceremony.
  • Watched Joe Lycetts new consumer affairs programme "Joe Lycetts Got Your Back" which is like a cross between Watchdog and Mark Thomas.

Great fun.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    What’s that on?
  • Ch4. Fri 8.30pm
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Just after Jamie does
    His five thing
    The Forum Herald™
  • The legend of cocaine island is a corker
  • pantyfire wrote:
    That's exactly what it is about.

Yep. Nailed it. And season two is making all that explicit for the hard of thinking.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Ch4. Fri 8.30pm

Cheers, I’ll check it out.
  • Fleabag's still the best thing on TV atm, but it's really dipped as the season's gone on imo. The first episode was fantastic.

The whole manic-pixie-dream-priest thing is so utterly boring. The conflict with the BIL and step mum is far more interesting to me, and both of those characters are played to their utter, cuntish brilliance. The priest thing is dull.

That probably sounds like I hate the show, which I don't. I just think it excels when there's a right shit of a character present.
  • There are two episodes of You to go. They had better do something unexpected because so far this has gone from intriguingly disturbing to emo-teen garbage.
  • Finished After Life. It really went to shit towards the end, turning more into a series of banal self-help lectures rather than the bitter-sweet comedy it started as. Whole scenes of Gervais dropping gems of wisdom about how we should be nice to each other while the rest of the cast sits around smiling and nodding awkwardly. It's a different kind of cringe comedy.
  • I've also been watching Traitors on Netfilx this week. UK spy thriller set just after WW2. Still have a couple of episodes to go, but it's shaping up well.
  • JonB wrote:
    Finished After Life. It really went to shit towards the end, turning more into a series of banal self-help lectures rather than the bitter-sweet comedy it started as. Whole scenes of Gervais dropping gems of wisdom about how we should be nice to each other while the rest of the cast sits around smiling and nodding awkwardly. It's a different kind of cringe comedy.
    Yeah he really screwed the end
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yossarian wrote:
    TBF, I wasn’t expecting a second series, and certainly not one as good as this. The chances of a third season remaining at this standard were always pretty low.

I was expecting this to be the last. Partly because I felt like it was heading towards a point where...
    Spoiler:
    I’m probably talking bollocks, but it strikes me that that’s the one relationship the show couldn’t really continue without...
  • Bob wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    Finished After Life. It really went to shit towards the end, turning more into a series of banal self-help lectures rather than the bitter-sweet comedy it started as. Whole scenes of Gervais dropping gems of wisdom about how we should be nice to each other while the rest of the cast sits around smiling and nodding awkwardly. It's a different kind of cringe comedy.
    Yeah he really screwed the end

I really enjoyed it.  Some of it was genuinely very good and the unintentionally amusing parts were hilariously bad.  #Gervais.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I thought it was grand, except towards the end where it turned into a morality lesson that any normal person knows perfectly well. A kind of behavior lesson for sociopaths?

What parts were unintentionally amusing?
  • The Rocket Man scene, most of his interactions with Band of Gold/heart of brass, some of the Ladbaby style home movie footage.  But mostly the "Snarf Snarf!" morality tone shifts.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!