The TV you like thread
  • poprock wrote:
    Aye. Apparently they had five seasons planned out to tell the whole story. Hopefully they can find another outlet for the rest of the tale – maybe as novels or something. To be honest though, I don’t see it holding together without Brit Marling’s peculiarity to carry the audience along.
    Is that a spoiler???? Or has the show been canned?
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Show has been canned. See earlier posts.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Two episodes into Another Life....Its so fucking dumb. But its kinda ok. Will do some more episodes.

Let me know if it picks up. Started it but felt very average.
  • OMG everyone watch BBC4 now its THE SOUNDS OF SPACE
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Two episodes into Another Life....Its so fucking dumb. But its kinda ok. Will do some more episodes.

I watched the whole thing through and it is exceptionally awful.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    I watched the whole thing through and it is exceptionally awful.
    ....it surprised me with some of the stupidity actually.
    One particular "highlight":
    Spoiler:
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Finally watched Fleabag. Really was great. Not sure why I waited so long.

I always find it funny how much time some things need to take to tell great stories. You watch Chernobyl and so much seems to happen in 50 mins and then you watch Fleabag and so much amazing stuff happens in 23mins and then you watch adventure Time and so much amazing stuff happens in 10 mins.

I guess that just means the story isn't right in those instances where it just doesn't work no matter how much the they have.
  • I’ve been reading up on Quibi. Anyone else looked into this yet? It’s a new streaming platform, launching next April. Sort of like Netflix if all the shows came in 10 minute (or under) episodes. The idea is that it’s mobile-focused programming. Short episodic stuff to watch on your commute, is how I’m seeing it.

There are BIG names signed up. Spielberg, Del Toro, Doug Liman, Sam Raimi … (Spielberg’s idea is a horror series that you can only watch after dark – it literally won’t stream during daytime).

So far they’re talking about a fiver a month to subscribe, but that still includes adverts. A no-ad version will cost more.

I dunno. Interesting, if only for the strong list of talent. Hollywood Reporter seem to have the most comprehensive info so far – here’s an overview and here’s a list of confirmed shows so far.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Fuck another streaming service in the eye.
  • Yossarian wrote:

Well, that’s just the inevitable next stage though, isn’t it? We’re at the point where the whole streaming landscape is about to fragment. 

Everyone has watched Netlifx/Amazon make a fortune by buying and broadcasting their content. So now they all want to broadcast it themselves and own the whole profit. Hence the Disney streaming service, the BBC/ITV service, and so on. 

It’s only going to fragment even further. That’ll lead to a point where none of us want to pay for all the separate services. Fuck, I’m nearly there already and most of them haven’t even launched yet.

So I reckon the next step will be aggregators. Just like the old US cable networks, some middlemen are going to bundle up streaming services into ‘packages’ we can subscribe to. Sky are already starting to build ad campaigns around that – they’re pimping Sky Q as ‘one place to get all the shows’.
  • Yossarian wrote:
  • It’s bloody stupid. The music industry seems to have got a reasonable handle on this. Get Apple Music/Spotify/deezer etc and you can pretty much listen to anything. There’s the odd exclusivity deal here and there but generally they’ve got parity. Why is it so different with films and tv? Piracy will swiftly pick up again you can be sure.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I think broadband providers are going to pick this up. Basic broadband for £x/month or broadband + Netflix for £xx/month or broadband + Netflix + Disney for £xxx/month … etc ad nauseum. They’ll cut deals with the streaming services, bundle them up, and resell them to us.

Same way that mobile providers are starting to offer ‘get free data when streaming Netflix’ or whatever as part of their bundles.
  • I just close my eyes and create my own content.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    It’s bloody stupid. The music industry seems to have got a reasonable handle on this. Get Apple Music/Spotify/deezer etc and you can pretty much listen to anything. There’s the odd exclusivity deal here and there but generally they’ve got parity. Why is it so different with films and tv? Piracy will swiftly pick up again you can be sure.
    The music industry see it as  Apple and Spotify screwed them, the studios are desperate not to repeat that mistake.
  • The music industry is filled with fucking idiots to be fair.
  • As opposed to the television industry.
  • Hallo :D
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Next year will be a bit of a tipping point I think. One way or the other.
    I agree that I think piracy will increase again.
  • Did anyone watch those trio of dance music documentaries on bbc?

The new djs seem like insufferable soulless libertarians. And Pete Tong sounds like a person who got the early boat before seeing the later better boat.

• Just watched first ep of Dark.

Really great start.

Looks fantastic. A lot of threads going on.

Stranger Things, ever so slightly, but virtually not relying on nostalgia at all.

I know folks have already watched in here, but for those who haven't, it's also German. If subs are or aren't your thing.

Will fill the hole in my viewing nicely while awaiting new expanse.

Been slowly watching s2 of happy, but it's too, frankly, gross for me this season.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • On Netflix, btw. Even though I'd think it's obvious to anyone wh ohas netflix, so that's moot.
  • Moot doesnt have Netflix.
  • Lol.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Just watched first ep of Dark. Really great start. Looks fantastic. A lot of threads going on. Stranger Things, ever so slightly, but virtually not relying on nostalgia at all. I know folks have already watched in here, but for those who haven't, it's also German. If subs are or aren't your thing.
    I watched the first season not too long ago. Was quite good as I recall, not that I can in any detail. The second season has since popped up, but not got round to it yet.
  • Saw mindhunters was back this week and totally forgot I only got halfway through series 1. Went back to it last night.

Been meaning to give Dark a go but too much else going on.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • So apparently Preacher has been back for a few weeks. Who knew? 
    Fourth and final season, so I caught up on the first three episodes this morning. Good stuff. Enjoying it with the caveat that once again the actual storytelling lacks agency. Fortunately the superb characterisation and minute to minute daffy scenarios are more than enough to keep this viewer engaged for the run.

I'll probably miss it when it's over

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Saw mindhunters was back this week and totally forgot I only got halfway through series 1. Went back to it last night.

Been meaning to give Dark a go but too much else going on.

Oooo mindhunters. Will be next on my list as I loved season 1.

Although have been watching Halt and Catch Fire again after never going back from first season. My word that is a remarkable TV show. Just fantastic all around.

Although I'm guessing some of what they are doing tech wise in the show wasn't actually a thing then? Mild season 2 spoilers :
    Spoiler:
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I believe the tech existed, but I don’t know if it was being put to those exact ends at quite that time, but it’s not far off.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!