The TV you like thread
  • Yossarian wrote:
    There's only one episode left. I'll be bereft.

Me too.  It's been great.
  • I do hope we get a happy ending.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Finished Fortitude the other night. Great stuff, cannot believe I let it slip by me first time round as it was utterly gripping!

Gonna crack on with Season 2 asap!
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Part 2 of The Grand Tour Namibia special tonight.

Fucking appalling. Even worse, which I didn't think was possible, than part 1. Basically it looked like they realised that they were struggling to get any interesting or usable footage (of anything interesting or funny) from the trip and made a load of unbelievabley contrived shite up. But shite that wasn't funny, wasn't even inside the suspension of disbelief that the BBC show had and was so badly acted, with zero new ideas or conviction.

I've had very little time for any of them since they pissed TG up the wall but I can safely say that I will never watch this show again. The only one that looked like escaping with any shred of dignity was May - you could in his eyes see the 1000yd stare of a man who knows he's failing hard and compromising his ethics beyond anything he's been asked to before. But then he does it anyway and dies inside.

An absolute embarrassment to all involved. Amazon need to bin these fuckwits ASAP.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Grem, you summed up my feelings perfectly. But with cussing. I love you.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Yeah I could see that with May as well. Quite possibly because May still has other shows running (The Reassembler I found really enjoyable) and has the fear in his eyes that someone sensible might watch GT and decide he isn't BBC, or even DAVE material anymore.

If GT doesn't get recommissioned Clarkson is semi-retired to panel show bloke. Hammond's career seems to have gone down the toilet, he comes across as a total pain in the arse to work with.

I prefered part 2 to part 1. Part 2 may have been all fake but at least something happened, part 1 was seriously lazy shite that could have been cut down to less than 15 minutes.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    King has a lot of shared universe, yeah. Especially with The Dark Tower series, which taps into a whole bunch of his other works (and the 'real' world). But also other stories take place in the same towns or states and reference eachother. For example in 11.22.63 the main character bumps into Richie and Bev from IT.

I e got a CD-ROM somewhere I paid £50 for back in 2003 which shows all of the connections between the kingverse. There are hundreds of crossovers.

Needful things and eye of the dragon have a tonne as does the stand.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Trio of snowflakes! 
    Man up its just a bit of good fun!
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah I could see that with May as well. Quite possibly because May still has other shows running (The Reassembler I found really enjoyable) and has the fear in his eyes that someone sensible might watch GT and decide he isn't BBC, or even DAVE material anymore.

If GT doesn't get recommissioned Clarkson is semi-retired to panel show bloke. Hammond's career seems to have gone down the toilet, he comes across as a total pain in the arse to work with.

Hammond just seems to have lost any naturalness or charisma in front of camera. There are some shows he's done that would have been good if not for him presenting them.
  • Guys they've been unsufferable cunts for years.
  • I know people who've worked with Hammond over the years, and yes, he's high maintenance.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • WorKid wrote:
    Guys they've been unsufferable cunts for years.

Insufferable. If you're going to be rude, at least be rude and accurate.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Finished Fortitude the other night. Great stuff, cannot believe I let it slip by me first time round as it was utterly gripping!

Gonna crack on with Season 2 asap!

I loved it.
    Spoiler:
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Basically it looked like they realised that they were struggling to get any interesting or usable footage (of anything interesting or funny) from the trip and made a load of unbelievabley contrived shite up. But shite that wasn't funny, wasn't even inside the suspension of disbelief that the BBC show had and was so badly acted, with zero new ideas or conviction.

That basically sums up TG for me. It's always been awful.
  • TG was superb for a very brief period. I think it was about series 10-15 (ish). Basically, when it went massive. They'd clearly captured lightning in a bottle and it was less faked, less forced and the chemistry between them was genuine. See the Botswana special as evidence of how good it could be - that was the high point of TG, for me.

Then they seemed to get locked in a maintenance cycle, not able to stop the juggernaut but unable to come up with fresh ideas. It got worse and worse until season 22 (Clarkson's last), which was truly terrible. Despite the rose-tinted glasses of many a TG fan, at that point is was barely better than Evans' later abortive efforts.

The Evans season was generally poor, but anything Evans wasn't in was markedly better. This gives me real hope for the new series, which starts in March. Chris Harris' pre-TG work was great, and his 'Chris Harris Drives' videos on the TG website are genuinely good car TV. More serious, more in-depth but still very enjoyable. If they can carry that over into Sunday night TG, with a dash of LeBlanc and Reid's laidback styles, it could really work. I'm hopeful anyway. It's been too long since we had a proper car show on mainstream channels. After all, it's been many years since TG could be called a 'car show'.
  • my dude, it is legal to sleep with a car
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The less of a car show Top Gear was, the better.
  • Jaco wrote:
    WorKid wrote:
    Guys they've been unsufferable cunts for years.

Insufferable. If you're going to be rude, at least be rude and accurate.
    :)
  • I stopped watching the Grand Tour after about 3 episodes.

Taboo is stuck in a rut for me too, about 4 episodes in...but it's just a bit too slow and dull.  It's good to watch, just doesn't really make me desperate to watch the next episode...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Season two of Billions kicks off on Sky tonight. I hope they put it all up on Box Sets immediately like they did with season one.
  • Taboo...I usually love things set in that general period and I like Tom Hardy. But the pacing is glacial. I cant put my finger on it but something is lacking in the show. So its a bit meh.

Im still watching Suits. Man oh man it goes through some ups and downs in quality. The writing has become quite lazy I think. Anytime now someone says anything bad to Harvey he just says "What did you just say to me???" Every.Time.
    Suits spoilery things:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • I think Taboo is a bit love/hate. The thing is that it’s monotonous. It’s bleak. It’s dark. It’s melodramatic and mysterious … and there’s no let up. No variation in tone. No ups to balance the downs, it’s just spiralling inwards. It’s not even spiralling down, it’s just a snake eating its own tail. But … a lot of us are really enjoying that. I know I am. It might have benefited from being a bit shorter though. Six episodes instead of eight. Simply because you can only hold one note for so long.
  • Re taboo.

It seems like the ending was set from episode 3 or whatever because
    Spoiler:

• Also old man prycr saying fucking a lot is a delight.
  • I've not watched Saturday's Taboo yet.

Overall though I think it suits watching it weekly. It's a show that needs digesting. It is glacial too so abbinge would quickly get frustrating I think.
  • djchump wrote:

Brilliant
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I do like Taboo but when was the last time 2 characters had an actual conversation? Every scene seems to have 1 or 2 lines then it's a cut to something else.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Taboo is great, slow and brooding. Just the way I like a series.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    MoesTavern wrote:
    I do like Taboo but when was the last time 2 characters had an actual conversation? Every scene seems to have 1 or 2 lines then it's a cut to something else.

I don't think that James Delaney is much of a conversationalist, TBH.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!