EDGE: Christ on a bike, it’s a knuckle sando!
  • I dont expect much in the way of new IP released next xmas, not if the rumour mill is true that both MS and Sony are looking releasing new consoles in 2020 (4k 240fps).

MS alledgly looking at a family of consoles, a streaming only Xbox (not 4k) for Xmas 2019 and a full blown PS5 rival for Xmas 2020.

Seeing as it takes years for games to be developed i can see both Sony and MS giving studios SDK's with the focus being the PS5 and NextBox.
  • 240fps?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Yeh have a google for PS5 specs and lots of websites with the same story. Maybe bullshit or could be some truth in it.
  • Which bit dante? The specs stuff? I dont disagree, it could be, though a 4k only console makes sense. New consoles in 2020, i think is accepted by most as a given. We'll only really know when they release some information or it turns up in Edge.

One of the other rumours was that the PS5 control pad would have screens embedded in them so you could move away from the console i.e. go to the loo and carry on playing by streaming the game over your own wifi. i like this idea.
  • It might work if they’re offering streaming alongside conventional as a transition. But that sounds like pie in the sky to me. Any online gaming kills the WiFi in my house for anyone else who wants to use it. Streaming 4K games to a controller with a screen over wifi? Fuggedaboutit.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    A quick google suggests that the 240fps might be for VR which would make sense, but my money’s on the 240fps being at a lower resolution than 4K and only for VR. The 4K is for when hooked up to a screen at 30/60fps.
  • I’d be up for a new MS console with VR that would be my ideal next gen jump point.
  • monkey wrote:
    It might work if they’re offering streaming alongside conventional as a transition. But that sounds like pie in the sky to me. Any online gaming kills the WiFi in my house for anyone else who wants to use it. Streaming 4K games to a controller with a screen over wifi? Fuggedaboutit.

Id presume the resolution would drop down on the control pad screen when its in use over wifi. I still like the idea as i get very little ps4 time with the baby at the moment. The Switch gets used on bathroom breaks alot.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Yeh have a google for PS5 specs and lots of websites with the same story. Maybe bullshit or could be some truth in it.

Sounds on par with 1080p 120fps Gran Turismo 5, jacking into the matrix, emotion engine as powering Iraqi nuclear missiles and similar ken k hyperbole lies
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Right so these games consoles will in fact have some games come out for them next year, is that right? Ok. Nice.
  • Sounds unrealistic to me.
  • Olimite wrote:
    If Sony had come up with the idea, half on here would be wetting themselves at it's genius. It's a fantastic idea that will almost certainly evolve into the future of gaming.

Subscription game services? Like... the one Sony launched three years before Microsoft?

This is why I’m not interested in all this console war shite. Which sold more, who won what, who’s got this or that; people will just cry about their preferred format getting a hard time, or lack of recognition, regardless of the reality.

I’m aware of the likelihood that, because I own a PS4 and not an XBO, I’m more likely to be more interested in the PS4 exclusives purely because I pay more attention to them, and get more exposure to them. If the XBO had a pad that felt comfier for me then I’m sure I’d be reading, listening and watching more in relation to them, fuelling an interest.

I won’t for one minute suggest that Game Pass isn’t a great service. It clearly is. But those who use it need to not take offence on its behalf when it is rightly pointed out that awarding it ‘best game’ is about the same level of ludicrousness as Brooker handing that award to twitter.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Sounds unrealistic to me.

Prouboublouy.
  • Right so these games consoles will in fact have some games come out for them next year, is that right? Ok. Nice.

Thats why they are slated for xmas 2020.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Id presume the resolution would drop down on the control pad screen when its in use over wifi. I still like the idea as i get very little ps4 time with the baby at the moment. The Switch gets used on bathroom breaks alot.
    Have you considered a change of diet?
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Which bit dante? The specs stuff?

240PS.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    Olimite wrote:
    If Sony had come up with the idea, half on here would be wetting themselves at it's genius. It's a fantastic idea that will almost certainly evolve into the future of gaming.

Subscription game services? Like... the one Sony launched three years before Microsoft?

This is why I’m not interested in all this console war shite. Which sold more, who won what, who’s got this or that; people will just cry about their preferred format getting a hard time, or lack of recognition, regardless of the reality.

I’m aware of the likelihood that, because I own a PS4 and not an XBO, I’m more likely to be more interested in the PS4 exclusives purely because I pay more attention to them, and get more exposure to them. If the XBO had a pad that felt comfier for me then I’m sure I’d be reading, listening and watching more in relation to them, fuelling an interest.

I won’t for one minute suggest that Game Pass isn’t a great service. It clearly is. But those who use it need to not take offence on its behalf when it is rightly pointed out that awarding it ‘best game’ is about the same level of ludicrousness as Brooker handing that award to twitter.

No, my point was it was incredibly lazy journalism and I expect better of such an allegedly respected publication.

The console war stuff can get in the bin.

• I thought Edge had awards for best service or best platform or publisher that would be more appropriate to consider Gamepass against its peers. Gamepass, EA Access, PS+ monthly games, NES subscription, games with gold etc are not games themselves.

Just by letter of the law its not an appropriate classification.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Dinostar77 wrote:

240PS.

Yeh i think yoss nailed that by mentioning it maybe for the VR stuff. Makes sense.
  • JonB wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:

lol, its the only free time i get to myself.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:

lol, its the only free time i get to myself.

I find even the need for a quick wee can turn into a long session with the right game. Into the Breach is responsible for a lot of pins and needles.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:

240PS.

Yeh i think yoss nailed that by mentioning it maybe for the VR stuff. Makes sense.

Polyphony showed gt sport running in 8k 240fps at some car show.
    Because of this that hack Michael pachter is fuelling rumours everywere because that's what he does.

The screen in the pads was a patent Sony filed.
    Most of the times these don't come to anything.
    (you can always Bluetooth your pad to your phone and play ps4, that's how iv been playing fractured but whole in pub before footy)
  • Hold on. This is from a Pachter leak? Christ.

We’re better than this. Aren’t we? Are we?
  • Edge mentioned a few issues ago that SDK's had gone out to major studios for PS5 and Nextbox. I dont recall Edge mentioning any specs at all. They did mention that MS were looking at releasing a family of Nextboxes. Streaming current gen games and a full blown 4k system.

@digi, i had no idea about the bluetooth pad thing. Will google it.

In regards to the patent for the Sony pad with a screen, it may not come to anything, however we cant dismiss the impact of the Switch.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Plus Sony’s habit of shoving an approximation of the latest cool control hardware into their handsets and then immediately seeming to forget it’s there.
  • I’m sure this stuff was circulating with the PS4 pad. “It’s an OLED touch screen to rival the Vita.” “Part of their handheld synergy strategy to tie in with their upcoming suite of smartphone gaming products”
    Then it just turned out to be a big buttton.
  • monkey wrote:
    Hold on. This is from a Pachter leak? Christ.

We’re better than this. Aren’t we? Are we?

In that case its utter horseshit.
  • It’ll just be even BRIGHTER LIGHTS from the back of the PS5 pad that some will believe does something.
  • It’ll just be even BRIGHTER LIGHTS from the back of the PS5 pad that some will believe does something.

It does.
    It shines on your screen in dark and gives yous something to moan about on hear!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!