EDGE: Christ on a bike, it’s a knuckle sando!
  • Saddened to hear they've jumped on the critical bandwagon with Days Gone. Yes, it doesn't bring much new to the sandbox table, but it's got a great atmosphere. Overall, it's a strong [7].
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    You're in but you didn't win.

Ffs it's just because they know I'll keep trying
  • LivDiv wrote:
    That MK11 score is a joke.
    There were issues with progress, some still prevail, but the core gameplay is excellent. The Story mode and online play isn't affected by the unlocking grind either.

Its not perfect but [5] suggests it is poor in it's core gameplay, which it really isn't.
    That's not just my opinion either but is echoed by MK tournament players.
    Blocks100 wrote:
    Saddened to hear they've jumped on the critical bandwagon with Days Gone. Yes, it doesn't bring much new to the sandbox table, but it's got a great atmosphere. Overall, it's a strong [7].

My dudes, the reviews are just the opinion of the reviewer. So you don't agree. Cool! No jokes or bandwagon, come on.
  • JonB wrote:
    Katana zero as a 7 feels right
    It feels exactly right to me.
    Was that you’re doing?
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Yes. My first Edge review.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Love if you could slide a copy of the edge style guide over for a perusal
    I remember when me and kaz went drinking with Nathan Brown he mentioned

Rule 1) talk about something in the game / mechanics by the end of paragraph 1

Rule 2) the use of we
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    A 9 for SteamWorld. 

So my usual lack-of-Switch grumble began. And then I saw this.

In the span of a week I get all non-nintendo Switch games that I want. Life is fine.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Love if you could slide a copy of the edge style guide over for a perusal I remember when me and kaz went drinking with Nathan Brown he mentioned Rule 1) talk about something in the game / mechanics by the end of paragraph 1 Rule 2) the use of we
    I've not seen a style guide as such.

I did have issues with my beginnings in the first couple of TEs I did. Not coming up with something suitably attention grabbing in the first sentence and waffling on a bit before getting to the point. All my uses of 'we' were changed to 'you' as well (when talking about the player experience, although they use 'we' in reviews to talk about their perspective). They also did quite a lot of minor editing with the first one - mostly cutting all those superfluous phrases like 'in effect' and 'in this way' that I tended to overuse. I've definitely started reducing those since.
  • JonB wrote:
    Yes. My first Edge review.

Haven't read it, but the score seems fair from what I've played. Lots to like, with some disappointments.

Probably don't need to read the review now I know the score, come to think of it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    LETS NARC ON REVIEWERS but not our own. Jon is obviously a king but man hating on the days gone and mortal Kombat reviews belongs in the bad old days. It's the reviewer's opinion. Let them have it. Love the game if you want to.

Binary Domain is a [10]
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Love if you could slide a copy of the edge style guide over for a perusal I remember when me and kaz went drinking with Nathan Brown he mentioned Rule 1) talk about something in the game / mechanics by the end of paragraph 1 Rule 2) the use of we

I'm amazed you still remember any of that, I can't even remember how I got home that night.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    This is BREXIT BRITAIN! 84 Metascore means 84 Metascore and anyone that doesn't agree is a TRAITOR!!! Jon has DEFIED THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE!!!
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • But an Edge 7 is an 84. Or at least it was in 96.
  • It's an opinion sure. Doesnt mean I cant say it's wrong, or dumb, or a joke, or misinformed, or bias, or whatever else.

What is so sacred about review opinions that they cant be disagreed with?
  • LivDiv wrote:
    It's an opinion sure. Doesnt mean I cant say it's wrong, or dumb, or a joke, or misinformed, or bias, or whatever else.

Em, 1st amendment?
    SFV - reddave360
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    It's an opinion sure. Doesnt mean I cant say it's wrong, or dumb, or a joke, or misinformed, or bias, or whatever else.

Nothing at all. But you absolutely ken the kind of fuckwittery we are preempting or trying to dissuade
  • Wrong type of opinion. I see how it is.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Wrong type of opinion. I see how it is.

Yarp
    Rate what you think, but it was more about people being dicks when someone disagrees with them
  • If someone wants to post the review I will tell you why it's wrong.
    If just scores are being thrown up then that's what I'm gonna react to and a 5 is lols.

Perhaps if they had a fucking website.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    US is a 2/10. Don't @ me its just my opinion.
  • Is it fair to say that preempting fuckwittery on here is a bit fuckwittish? Two people disagreed hard with a low score and they vented (because miffed). Why does everyone have to be life coached into doing things differently all the time? It's not like this place is ever really in danger of becoming a YouTube comments section meltdown cuntbrawl because we don't have any actual morons.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yes, yes it is.

EDIT: to the first part, not the youtube part.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Is it fair to say that preempting fuckwittery on here is a bit fuckwittish? Two people disagreed hard with a low score and they vented (because miffed). Why does everyone have to be life coached into doing things differently all the time? It's not like this place is ever really in danger of becoming a YouTube comments section meltdown cuntbrawl because we don't have any actual morons.

THAT'S IT! I'M LEAVING!

*flounces*
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    US is a 2/10. Don't @ me its just my opinion.

@Dark Sold...oh, doesn’t work. Stupid forum.
  • JonB wrote:
    Yes. My first Edge review.
    Congrats - you must be proud. Had it in my hand today but £6 is steep, will get the iPad version.
    Was guessing the 9 for steamworld wasn’t your doing as you weren’t that keen on its repetitive battles.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Steamworld was surprising as loads here said it was boring?!
  • It may have just been me. Now I've seen all the other reviews it seems like I'm in the minority. But I stand by my 58% - https://wireframe.raspberrypi.org/issues/13

I'll be interested to see how they justify a 9 for it in Edge. I think even if you really got into the card battles you'd have to admit it's lacking on the exploration side.
  • You know what isn't boring, Days Gone that's what! Lord knows the game does have some major failings, but I am loving it despite of them. I feel sad that EDGE can't feel the same love. ARE THEY DEAD INSIDE?!
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Yes, contrarian media drives print media sales.
  • On paper yes but this is Future.
    If they were money smart they would still have a site, or team up with a site like Polygon or Kotaku or even mainstream media to publish Edge guest reviews and features.

No offense to Jon here any of the other writers but the content is sat on the bottom shelf of Smith's.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!