EDGE: Christ on a bike, it’s a knuckle sando!
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Your ham has died of diphtheria
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Johann who lives in the flats in Bow?! I know 'im!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    An Edge 10 used to be reserved for a revolutionary game. Mario 64 was certainly that but I'm not sure about GT. It's scope and scale was certainly a main feature  - not sure about revolutionary. It's so-called realism vanished as soon as you collided with something.

A revolutionary game may not age well and perhaps that's what made Edge change that.

Goldeneye should have been a 10. It brought proper missions to the FPS genre. Of course it hasn't aged well.

Saying a game is perfect is another challenge to a 10. A 10 can only be a point in time.  For me Super Breakout on the 2600 was a perfect game. I'd still argue that as how can it be improved upon? But it isn't a 10 game now of course.

Really it demonstrates why numerical scoring is invalid. Having something like "avoid", "rent", "for genre fans", "recommended" etc is probably a better scheme - but it's just as clumsy as that could be mapped onto a score.  Bullet points listing the +ves and -ves of a game would be useful instead of a score.

Retrospectives stating an opinion on a game's impact and how well it has aged should back up reviews of significant titles (for good and bad reasons).
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Was just looking for this thread to mention that my digital #312 has arrived. Why does that take so much longer to arrive, is that because it's US? Or because it's Android?

Seems like a stupid decision, just roll them all out at them same time.
  • Edge did a retrospective 10 awhile back and goldeneye was on the list.

GT was a ten back in the day as there was nothing like it before it.
  • Nina wrote:
    Was just looking for this thread to mention that my digital #312 has arrived. Why does that take so much longer to arrive, is that because it's US? Or because it's Android?

Seems like a stupid decision, just roll them all out at them same time.

You'll need to refresh the app nearer the release date. It may be that it was only just pushed to you, but you could have pulled it down sooner. It did tend to be slower than the print version though.
  • You could argue that Tetris is a perfect game.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    @syph, I tried refreshing almost every night, can only download stuff while charging, so tried that too, couple of days ago I decided to install the Newsstand app to my phone, see if it got pushed that way, but no luck. Both tablet and phone had a "new issue available" this morning. 

It doesn't really matter tbh, just found it strange. As it's connected to your google account I can't seem to just log out on any of those devices and try logging in again.
  • Trials HD should've been a 10.  I'd accept a 9 if Evo had received a 10.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    An Edge 10 used to be reserved for a revolutionary game. Mario 64 was certainly that but I'm not sure about GT. It's scope and scale was certainly a main feature  - not sure about revolutionary.

In comparison to other console racers it was definitely a 9. Its AI was no worse than any of its rivals, and its handling was far and away the most realistic. And it was the Viper-sliding fun realism, not the drier GP Legends flavour. A top sense of speed fostered reward for hitting apexes. It was also visually in a league of its own (R11 the standout), with great course designs. A strong 9.

But then it added tuning to such an extent that it's still the series' trademark USP, and also — once you'd done the licences and won some money — it was the first to offer a branching choice of events. Enthusia came out seven years later and still locked you into a procession, leading to frustration if you got stuck on a certain race. In GT you could go and do another race and come back later, very likely with a faster car. This openended approach alongside tuning gave us voluntary difficulty for most of the game.

So on its abandonment of the often frustrating mission structure and introduction of tuning, the strong 9 becomes a 10. None of that's to say that everyone liked it, hence the daftness of scores, as ever.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My opinion is tainted by the fact that when I got GT I found it incredibly boring because of all the stuff that was in the way of the fun. All that messing about getting licences. I switched off.

My opinion is also tainted by the fact that I'm an arcade racer head. So I was never really going to get on with it. I reckon if everything had been unlocked from the start I may well have loved it. I later tried PS2 GT4(?) Same outcome.

I wouldn't really consider myself qualified to argue about rating GT1 if I'm honest - but for a 10 game - I can remember there being talk of such games transcending their genre etc. But that's a tough ask - I'm sure not everyone loved M64. I certainly had no time for Goldeneye as I'm cool to that genre.

Tetris is a 10 - no question. It also happens to be perfect - or at least as close to perfect as any practical definition with respect to a game can be. I'm also sure there are people who dislike it.
  • My first copy of GT was a Japanese import disc. Oh, the hours of fun we had with the menus and tuning options...all in Japanese.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I'm with davy, give me a Ridge Racer over a Gran Turismo any day.

Escape wrote:
    None of that's to say that everyone liked it, hence the daftness of scores, as ever.

Summed up very well.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    My first copy of GT was a Japanese import disc. Oh, the hours of fun we had with the menus and tuning options...all in Japanese.

Feck.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    You could argue that Tetris is a perfect game.

As well-executed as it gets, but I think that its sense of perfection was strongly bolstered by the Game Boy's screen. Good games were rendered near-unplayable on it, so Tetris had a lot more playtime than might otherwise've been.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
  • The first Gran Turismo is still the best (realistic) racing game of all time.

The second and third best are also PS1 games.

Colin McRae Rally, and TOCA 2.
  • Escape wrote:
    You could argue that Tetris is a perfect game.
    As well-executed as it gets, but I think that its sense of perfection was strongly bolstered by the Game Boy's screen. Good games were rendered near-unplayable on it, so Tetris had a lot more playtime than might otherwise've been.

it depends which version. The GB one isn't as you can't play infinitely based on ability.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Some people like the rockets, though.

The second and third best are also PS1 games. Colin McRae Rally, and TOCA 2.

As far as the PlayStation, I'd probably go along with that. I'm not sure that ToCA 2's ever been bettered for the feeling of threading through a pack.

I've a soft spot for The Need for Speed.
  • Toca and Colin MCrae were great. When it comes to arcade racers I loved need for speed underground 1&2 on the original xbox.

Going back further, Geoff Cramond F1, lotus espirt challenge and supercars 2 on the amiga were fantastic.
  • Motorhead was my favourite PS1 racer.  There's no accounting for taste.
  • Ridge Racer Type 4 was my fav on PS1.

I did love that Road Rash that was ported from the 3DO to.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If we are talking arcade style racers then Sega Rally and Daytona are my two picks. I'd also add F-Zero X to that list as non-wheel entry. Daytona probably edges it just because of the look of it.

Sega Rally 3 on 360 is a really nice game but I haven't played it anywhere near enough to form an opinion on it. I quite liked Sega Rally 2 on Dreamcast as well - under-rated game that.
  • If we're bringing in other systems then my picks would be:

Sega Rally
    Wave Race 64
    OutRun 2

All superb games imo.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Sega rally on the Saturn was really good. While it doesn't look as good as the coin op it controls really nicely, vital in a driving game. There was an update about ten years ago that I have on pc (And was probably on ps3 and 360) that is still good fun. Rallisport challenge 2 on the original xbox remains my favourite rally game though.

Outrun 2006 and burnout 2 are probably the peak of racing games for me, sunk huge amount of time into them. Still have outrun on the pc and I still play it. I'd love a redo of burnout 2 with better graphics. Chaining boosts was so satisfying.
    SFV - reddave360
  • The Holy triumvirate

Outrun 2
    Burnout 2/3/Revenge
    Need For Speed Hot Pursuit

You have been blessed. Enjoy your Friday.
  • Sega Rally, Metropolis Street Racer, Outrun 2.  Played a lot of Forza 2 with the MS wheel + custom soundtracks too.
  • Nothing's nailed the drifting like the original Ridge Racer IMO.
  • Metropolis Street racer, what a game. How could I forget that. The dreamcast was an amazing console.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    San Fran Rush
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!