My God, She's Alive! A Pinball Thread
  • Wife just got 272mil to my classic mode PB of 38mil. Shit game.
  • I only have Zaccaria Pinball. I can't really compare it to other pinball games, but it's pretty good in my opinion. Bear in mind that the last computer pinball game I played was Visual Pinball back in the very early 00s. Zaccaria has pretty niche tables that you probably won't find anywhere else, though.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Zaccaria is pretty decent although I find the physics a little bouncy compared to Arcade and FX.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have the 360 game - Zen is it?  Only play casually. Bought some Star Wars and a Family guy table a while back.

Favourite is still between Dragon Revenge/Devil Crash on Megadrive and Necronimocon on Saturn. :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Have you played Demon's Tilt, Davy? Right up your alley I reckon, and anyone who enjoyed Devil Crush etc. Will dig out a review shortly. It's brilliant once you learn the table - Mrs.Moot & I lost 20hrs to it during the big battle of 2020. Best videogame pinball ever imho.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I prefer "impossible" videogame pinball a la Devil Crush etc. to sims or attempts at "real tables".  Devil Crash/Crush-whatever got a nice WiiWare update too - will check out Demon's Tilt.

Necronomicon on Saturn is a sequel to the splendid Last Gladiators (which got a PS1 port too). Simplistic table design but is just good fun to play.

Favourite "real" collection is probably the Gottlieb Collection on Wii with its splendid use of wiimote and nunchuck for control. The lower res is compensated for by the controls. Have Williams collection on 360 but haven't spent as much time with that.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Demon's Tilt - Switch (20hrs) A spiritual successor/homage to Devil's Crush/Dragon's Fury.  I was hyped for this pre-launch (the original trailer first appeared when I was balls deep in an epic Pinball Arcade head to head with the wife), but I couldn't quite click with the lightweight ball physics when it hit Game Pass.  Pinball Arcade aims for a 1:1 representation of proper pinball, whereas this is very much a 'videogame'.  I never deleted it, then it left the service, then I bought it half price on Switch and didn't really play it for another six months.  But when I finally did (earlier this year, isn't this exciting?), I was hooked.  I decided to set up a 'pinball corner' in the front room after a pub trip one afternoon, using an old TV as a tate display.  Mrs. Moot soon blocked off that particular avenue of pleasure, but it migrated to the main telly and 20+hrs of intense pass-the-pad battling later I managed to hit JonB's parameters for 'completion' yesterday (wizard mode/1 billion points). There's only so much you can type about pinball games really, it's about as Marmite an interactive experience as you can get.  I used to despise it as I was never able to stomach the casual cuntishness of a bad luck ball drain.  Videogame pinball is a bit different from the real thing though.  They all seem to have a nudge move available (with a flick of the left stick here), which is a semi-reliable get out of jail card.  Sure, you can heft real pinball tables around a little before the tilt lock kicks in, but it's a lot easier with an analogue stick.  NB: Mrs. Moot refuses to use it as it goes against her weird pinball principles, but that's why her top score has less zeros than mine [BigHeadModeActivated].  I've tried pointing out that it's called Demon's Tilt, and that there's a sizeable portion of the screen devoted to how much leeway you've got before it locks the table, and that it's videogame pinball rather than pinball pinball, but she still nope.gifs me.  I nudge though.  Loads.   The moment I broke the billion barrier was an SS tier gaming moment for me.  I've finally clawed one back.  Over the years she's beaten me at MS Pinball, Dragon's Fury (the Retro Pi once crashed on her when she was on course to demolish her own top score, which I pretend not to remember) and the true GOATS: Addams Family and Twilight Zone on Pinball Arcade (PS4).  The latter two she hammered on a six week holiday while I was at work, so there's a disagreement over whether they count.  Even if I admit it's 4-1 over the course of 20+ years the momentum is currently with me. [9], loved it and it's near enough perfect in terms of what it set out to be vs what it is.  Easily the best (videogame) pinball experience of all time.  It takes a long time to learn, but it's extremely rewarding once you're familiar with the table.   EverlastingVillainousIriomotecat-size_restricted.gif
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Oh my word.....
  • Having looked at some of the console and PC options available I might not bother with emulation anymore, but does anyone here have experience of Visual Pinball or pinMAME?
    After setting up a cab this year I was tempted to give another project a go, but this seems more complicated.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There are those who have gone all in with pin MAME and built a table with the screen lying flat. By all accounts it works really well that way.
  • Started Sonic Pinball Party on the GBA. Was sulking slightly when I remembered I'd sold Pinball of the Dead, but it's actually quite good.  At least the sonic table is anyway, haven't tried the NiGHTS or Samba de Amigo ones yet.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    erm....I think you sold that to me...

:(
  • Haha.  I knew it would've been a badger, cushions the blow.  Turns out I've sold A Link to the Past too.  

I'm happy to get rid of the rest of the shoebox now really (and the Micro), and switch to a snazzy handheld for emulation anyway.  Let me know if anyone wants a list of carts.  Everything must go.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There was me thinking you might want it back  :)

Post your list and I'll have a gander.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Does multiball go to 11?
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    SEGA's Apollo 13 pinball table had a 13 ball multiball, albeit it looks pretty awkward to 'play'...

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Here's more Apollo 13 footage (with a bonus of my Asteroids Dx before it was shipped to me).  :)

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    jdanielp wrote:
    Does multiball go to 11?

It really should.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Here's more Apollo 13 footage (with a bonus of my Asteroids Dx before it was shipped to me).  :)

That was fun. How is your Asteroids Dx cabinet holding up? Looks pretty cool.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Playing just fine. Is a lovely thing. Emulation still doesn't do it justice.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    It's not the best documentary, but it provides an interesting snapshot of a very specific time in pinball history and was produced when the industry had all-but died (it made a good recovery, fortunately)...

• Tried M Pinball on Switch, which is another Zen Studios effort that seemed unnecessary. Why not keep them all in one place? There's Pinball FX3, FX Pinball and this one now.

It's crap - super low poly table (for the freebie anyway) and a choppy framerate. Strange that this one has had so little effort on Switch when the FX3 port was so good.
  • Pasha is a great table (Pinball FX3)
  • I'd love to find Centaur in the wild:

backglass.jpg?format=1500w

playfield.jpg?format=1500w

Radd and badd.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Pasha is a great table (Pinball FX3)

That's one of my Zen Studios favourites.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!