Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'd say a forum is useful for building communities. Why would practically every magazine have a forum if it was useless for them?
  • You can build communities via comments section but it's harder, stifles the cultivation of personalities and gags and is less consequential for all concerned. The latter may be a boon for some outfits though.

Other thing is that audience are always kinda subordinate to article author, and that's a bit lame. Particularly when the audience has stronger minds in it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    They surely need some feedback from "loyal" readers? Maybe not, though. Even obviously not maybe.
  • It was the Online Offline comments that prompted me to join the forum, saw that some witty intelligent individuals posted there and decided I'd like to be part off it all (minus the wit and intelligence).
    Will Facebook comments in the mag drive people to join the community of 'Likers'?
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Kaz and I are off for a pint with the online editor of Edge. Any questions you want asked?
  • Ask him for a copy of the database for the original maroon forum.

regards

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Shame. If they relaunched with a working website, I would've gone back. Edge is what prompted me to join a forum in the first place.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Nick wrote:
    Ahh why is Sas Paul.

Wut?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Kaz and I are off for a pint with the online editor of Edge. Any questions you want asked?

Tell him hes shit at his job.
    and database for maroon like g said.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Think there's a glitch on displaying the forum on my phone today,it says Sas's name under the space invader.
  • Hahaha
  • Sasukekun wrote:
    Will Facebook comments in the mag drive people to join the community of 'Likers'?
    I think the Likes were at about 3000 when the new site launched, and now they're on 9000. Even a really successful forum would've only brought in a few hundred regulars. It's not the same of course - no 'community' feel - but in terms of publicity the effort in running and moderating a forum probably doesn't seem worth it now. Times have changed, I guess. Still hope they can sort out a decent website regardless.
  • Probably far too late now Reg, but ask him what they would have done with the forum on relaunch if we hadn't all left.

million dollar question

g.man
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Who was the favourite forumite?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Was it their desire all along to destroy the forum community?
  • Yes, they were evil machiavellian bastards who held specific hatred for around 300 members of the magazine's reading population, the move to the new site was calculated to shatter our community because of all the hassle we gave them and precisely no more than that.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I knew it.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Wicked fiends!
  • They blew it.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    What? They never blew me! Bastards.
  • No one is going to blow ewe.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Doggy style.
  • Okay. But wipe it first at least.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • No one is going to blow ewe.

Of course not, ewes are female. Durrrr
  • Tempy wrote:
    Yes, they were evil machiavellian bastards who held specific hatred for around 300 members of the magazine's reading population, the move to the new site was calculated to shatter our community because of all the hassle we gave them and precisely no more than that.

Don't be so dramatic Tempy, it's a valid question.  The amount of work required to moderate and keep an eye on even a small forum is noticeable, and if we had done or said something particularly contentious which was published under a huge maroon EDGE banner then it would have reflected on them.

As has been pointed out, there was only ever a few hundred users and perhaps 4-5 dozen extremely regular posters?  Maybe 100 at most?  From a magazine with a monthly circulation of over 24 000?  I get the impression that someone fought our corner and said it was worth having a forum, but the powers that be quite correctly said we weren't worth the effort for the potential risk or reward.

The move to the new site may not have been engineered to remove us from the community, but I imagine they didn't really give a stuff when they want people commenting on articles and using Facebook, so the forum was certainly given an extremely low priority.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Judt got out of an Edge talk at Ed Interactive. The website is relaunching next month with no forum . So congrats guys. You did it.

Also, I'm not really sure how to take this post, reg.  Did what exactly?  The forum was actually unusable to a large proportion of us, so I think it was entirely right that we found somewhere else to post.  We didn't actively try to destroy their forum, in fact I think contributing, suggesting improvements, and maintaining a reliable, dedicated community there for over a year was an entirely reasonable response.

I didn't see you resolutely posting threads over there until the bitter end.  They designed a forum that varied from unfit for purpose to actually impossible to use, depending on your browser and system.  We didn't do anything except last a lot longer than most.
  • As you are currently residing in America, I feel duty bound to point out that Tempy's post contained what we Brits refer to as "ironic humour."

:D

g.man
  • g.man wrote:
    As you are currently residing in America, I feel duty bound to point out that Tempy's post contained what we Brits refer to as "ironic humour." :D

g.man

I know; thing is, I think he's partially right, in that those with the purse strings and the responsibility did want to close the forum down.  It returned no tangible benefit to them, but carried a bit of risk and required a bit of effort.
  • I'd like to know if Edge would've kept the forum and at some point improved it if we had stuck around. We left in a hissy fit and now it's empty and closing down.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!