The Case For...
  • I had Binary Domain the first week it came out and was genuinely excited for it. I'd go as far as to say it's one of the worst games I've played. Yakuza Dead Souls is dogshit, too.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • If you're in the mood for scraping the barrel, give Never Dead a go.
    There's too many competent games to play, these days.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    I had Binary Domain the first week it came out and was genuinely excited for it. I'd go as far as to say it's one of the worst games I've played. Yakuza Dead Souls is dogshit, too.

yakuza dead souls is indeed shit, if your lumping it in with bd then i have to steer clear.

also mgs4 has had a trophy patch and install full game option (thats quicker than the majority of the install singularly things that bookend the chapters).
    knew you wanted it time ago so not sure if this is good news to you or not!
    (4 years late)
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Here's a case for Final Fantasy XIII

custom-boxarts_final-fantasy-xiii.png
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    bravo...
    *slow hand clap*
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • daviedigi wrote:
    I had Binary Domain the first week it came out and was genuinely excited for it. I'd go as far as to say it's one of the worst games I've played. Yakuza Dead Souls is dogshit, too.

yakuza dead souls is indeed shit, if your lumping it in with bd then i have to steer clear.

also mgs4 has had a trophy patch and install full game option (thats quicker than the majority of the install singularly things that bookend the chapters).
    knew you wanted it time ago so not sure if this is good news to you or not!
    (4 years late)

Yeah, was chuffed to see that roll around on Facebook. Got the patch straight away. I started MGS2 HD with the intention of playing through 2-4.
  • The Case for. . . Crimson Alliance.

On first glance, a Diablo clone. But really it's a much tighter high score chaser. Made by Certain Affinity (Ex-bungie staffers) and certainly borrows from halo in some good ways.

A lot of people were probably put off by the way it was marketed and the way you could pay for it. 800ms points for one class, or 1200 for all 3. And you could also spend ms points to buy in game gold.

but once you get past all of that lark, you have a game with incredibly solid mechanics. Levels that you can actually enjoy replaying, scores to be chased, difficulty to be adjusted on the fly. It's not a loot-em-up like diablo, there are set items for each class, some you find, some you buy, and you're much more likely to get better at levels by learning them and getting better rather than getting whatever uber weapon.

Co-op is brilliant, it looks fantastic, and it has an awesome "horde" mode also. I've completed it (inc DLC) with all 3 classes.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Sasukekun wrote:
    Here's a case for Final Fantasy XIII custom-boxarts_final-fantasy-xiii.png

Very good, very good indeed.
  • Good thread, btw, reg.
  • J1m1 wrote:
    A case needs doing for Alpha Protocol. By someone more eloquent than myself obviously.

Yes it does.  That's tonight's sitting-by-the-TV time sorted then!

EVERYBODY WANTS TO BE LIKE MIKE
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Someone should do Darksiders to keep me playing it. I'm gonna write about Catherine next.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The case For.....Mini Ninjas
    Have you written about Mini Ninjas before?  Somebody did fairly recently.  It's tempting.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    The case For.....Mini Ninjas
    Have you written about Mini Ninjas before?  Somebody did fairly recently.  It's tempting.

Yep, I've posted about it a few times in the Now Playing thread over the past couple of months.  It takes me a while to finish games, even if they are short.  I managed to find the quote from the Just Completed thread that interested me originally:
    Mini Ninjas On the whole a pretty enjoyable, very cute game. Very relaxing, seems to have a surprisingly deep understanding of Japanese culture for a mere "homage". It really reminded me of a kids version of Journey, I guess the art style is quite abstract but in a more cartoony way, and the whole game is essentially one long inexorable march towards your destiny, through lots of gorgeous themed locales. Has a slightly melancholic edge to it as well. It's very, very similar to Goeman on the N64 - just a bit more linear. The fighting towards the end got a tad reptitive and the camera angles can really frustrate a lot of the time but on the whole I enjoyed the 10 hours I put into it - felt delightfully old school.
  • Was going to do Alpha Protocol but I don't want to steal Elm's thunder. Reg, I shall instead follow your advice.

The case for Darksiders.

From the moment you start this game up it just oozes quality. The styling is pure comic book awesomeness (thank you Jo Magureira) and Mark Hamill is on brilliant voice work duties again. This quality is consistent throughout the game as you journey through incredible landscapes, dungeons and some epic moments.

The game begins with the classic style of you having all your powers before stripping them away. However, whereas this can be frustrating in many games, Darksiders pulls it off by making the collecting of your skills/powers such an integral, and enjoyable, part of the game. Each dungeon pulls of a Zelda and introduces another skill/item that will assist you through the game, and also in the immediate dungeon. It is a simple, yet addictive format that I am surprised more games havn't used. It works well in Zelda, it works well in Darksiders.

Throughout the game you explore a variety of dungeons and fight a horde of enemies with the accessible, chuncky combat. This may not be Bayonetta, but it has a God of War style of heavy hitting chaos, agility and finishing moves.

Yes the game loses it towards the end, but up until then it is one of the finest action adventure games in years. Plus you can summon a horse that explodes out of the ground beneath you.

As you can tell from the games I have mentioned in this, it may not be original, but Darksiders chucks in all the best bits of other games, adds a sprinkling of cool ideas, and sends you off on a mighty, apocalytpic quest with your own pocket The Joker. Sounds good to me.

Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Was going to do Alpha Protocol but I don't want to steal Elm's thunder.

Didn't have time to last night, but should tonight.  Anyway, I'm sure it can stand 2 supportive posts if you want to give your opinion...!
  • The Case for Alpha Protocol...

It has wicked cool beard customisation.

Also, nice one Aaron, Darksiders has been on my "hmmmmmm" list for a bit. Will try and get it soon.
  • Darksiders, eh? You actually make sound worth playing. If I ran out of games to play, I'll give it a try.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Might be my next game after that write-up, sat there in my steam library already. (They had a sale.)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I bought it on PC to play before 2 came out and I'm like 4 hours in, but decided to play on Hard. I've not played it in months and fear I have forgotten everything.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Eek. 360, not PC
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    When's 2 out? Or is it already?
  • Got it coz it was free with ps+
    Just sitting there to be played. My brother is on it all the time.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Yes the game loses it towards the end, but up until then it is one of the finest action adventure games in years.

It really does, but up until then it's a great wee game. Much more fun than God of War.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    When's 2 out? Or is it already?

It's out in America tomorrow but the rest of the world have to wait till next Tuesday.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Yes the game loses it towards the end, but up until then it is one of the finest action adventure games in years.

It really does, but up until then it's a great wee game. Much more fun than God of War.

It is cracking.

The thing with the shit bit is that it's not a case of being really shit, or really frustrating, or impossible, or unbalanced. It's just bloated and loses steam. And repeats itself. so for those wondering if they should give it a go, I'd say the answer is definitely yes. You'll still be able to finish it, you just might need to do it in small chunks so as not to bore yourself. For me, on balance, I still have fond memories of the game. The first 3 quarters are just so great that it's worth it overall.

• The Case for. . .Halo Reach (MP)

Yes, IMO, the campaign lacks the replay value of the other titles. Yes, on release, the MP was damn near broken, lacked maps, and had armor lock. And yes, it's probably too late now, months from H4 coming, but dammit, Reach did eventually find it's feet.

For all it's greyness, Forgeworld has still produced a bunch of great great maps. BTB has been improved greatly since launch. Super slayer has a fantastic range of maps now.

The title update greatly improved things: ZB bloom and reduced bloom has the DMR and Needle rifle fitting their role well. The netcode has always been good. AL is pretty much nerfed, and can be countered now. Still prefer it when it's not in use, but it's much more palatable now.

Firefight. This was always the games strength, IMO. Brilliant from the get go. Massive variety, awesome fun, and all the design decisions, bloom, AAs etc, are perfectly suited to dealing with the AI and campaign enemies. The game engine can chug to a halt under stress when it's 4 player, but it's still brilliant.

A shame that the game lost so many players waiting for the influx of maps and the TU.

• I've got back to The Saboteur.  When I finish it I might do one for that.  It's really pretty good.
  • I think I'm done with Halo.
  • Thus far I am uncompelled.
  • Done a mini Case For... BiDo today to a young male customer, as soon as I said it was probably my GoTY he said "REALLY?! Well if you say that I'm defo getting it for a tenner!". Was shocked at his complete compliance at whatever I told him. Could've said Duke Nukem Forever for a laugh but no.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!