Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • A bit late but Pang (snes) was fine, although tbh it couldn't hold my interest for very long. I ran through a bunch of levels on normal, then switched to easy and got about half way across the map before I was after something a bit more engaging. I expect I'd have enjoyed it more at the time for sure.

Had a blast on Alien 3 (snes) last night as I had the ms one as a kid (which I really enjoyed back in the day, although never really got far into). My god I found the snes one terrible - as Retro says, too close to the edge of the screen scrolling, awkward controls (need to tap down to crouch which also leaves you aiming at the floor, so then have to re-adjust to shoot whatever's speeding towards you). Seemed pretty aimless in direction too, wasn't sure where to go or what I was doing. I lasted 10 mins I think.
  • I tried the SNES and MD ones for five minutes a piece. Garbage tier. They’ve aged terribly. Scan the whole environment looking for stuff and getting attacked out of the blue.
  • Yeah I'd have to agree.

The SNES game is a lot better but I'm talking 2/5 over 1/5 better.

I will play them both a bit more this weekend but atm it's looking like two games not worth completing and deleting from my mini's.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I've taken to watching on YouTube rather than playing. SNES version received some serious love at the time, I'm pretty sure we're talking 95% in one publication, whereas the MD game was more an 86% type. SNES game wins the head to head (despite doing more - often it's the games that tried more that fare worse on reappraisal), but neither are the sort of thing I'd want to play for long these days. Time has been astonishingly unkind to both, chiefly because there's nothing moreish about the gameplay loop. It happens.
  • Allen 3 (Mega Drive)

Genuinely terrible.

Stiff controls, and your character being to close to the edge of the screen ruin any chance of enjoyment from this game. Even the graphics and sound are both sub par.

I did the first two levels, had a read up and watched a bit of the game on YouTube and came to the conclusion it's not worth anymore of my time.

One of the worst games we've played in the thread.

1/5

My Reviews
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    A bit late but Pang (snes) was fine, although tbh it couldn't hold my interest for very long. I ran through a bunch of levels on normal, then switched to easy and got about half way across the map before I was after something a bit more engaging. I expect I'd have enjoyed it more at the time for sure.

I kind of preferred its Panic Mode which is just a single screen straight up shooter challenge - the aim is to max out the difficulty level to beat it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I'll give that a go later.

And yeah Alien 3 is utterly terrible. Shame, I remember enjoying it as a kid.
  • Don't agree with the graphics and sound being sub-par on MD Alien 3 (sound especially for 1992), but otherwise retro's assessment is pretty much the same as mine. It genuinely wasn't half bad at the time but it's terrible now.
  • I reckon the MS version is probably the best tbh, I haven't revisited it but just watching the video makes me think I'm right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhM8twrIKz8

The music is better imo, and I agree with Retro, the SFX on the MD version are shocking. The UI is bad too - that red text on the mission loading screens? Looks placeholder.
  • The pulse rifle rips and the grenade launcher thwomps. Tough crowd for SFX.
  • The BGM's much better on MS too.
  • The sound of the grenade launcher is my lasting memory of the game.
  • nick_md wrote:
    I reckon the MS version is probably the best tbh, I haven't revisited it but just watching the video makes me think I'm right.

MS version is better imo.

The smaller sprites and slower aliens make it more playable.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Just played the SNES one for half hour.

Graphics are great, controls still are a bit clunky but they're better than the MD game.

It's a bit confusing though, the levels are quite open ended from what I can tell, and you select missions from a computer terminal.

I did a mission where you have to repair some pipes, but annoyingly didn't get a prompt when I did it. The only way I knew is when I returned to the terminal.

I think there might be a good game in here somewhere. Not sure if it's good enough to warrant putting the time in though.

It's definitely the better of the two. Anyone here played it at all?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Reg said he had it, for me it was just something I saw in multiformat mags and pretentended I didn't want.
  • I played the SNES one last week:

Had a blast on Alien 3 (snes) last night as I had the ms one as a kid (which I really enjoyed back in the day, although never really got far into). My god I found the snes one terrible - as Retro says, too close to the edge of the screen scrolling, awkward controls (need to tap down to crouch which also leaves you aiming at the floor, so then have to re-adjust to shoot whatever's speeding towards you). Seemed pretty aimless in direction too, wasn't sure where to go or what I was doing. I lasted 10 mins I think.
  • Yeah I lasted ten mins or so too. Slightly disappointed in myself but none of these were clicking with me, even for a save state spam up. Plus the MD game has a time limit do that's a nope for a blind run with save states really.
  • Yeah, SNES one still definitely suffers from being to close to the edge, thankfully you have enough time to react compared to the MD one though.

I can't blame you for giving up, it doesn't explain itself very well.

I've still got an itch to play more of this one though. I need to get a bit more of an understanding to it's structure.

There's a good chance I'll come away with a negative opinion overall but, I gots to know.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Discussing Alien 3 with colleagues, one of them has suggested Blackthorne as a worthy side-on shooter, although looks as much adventure as action to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIaX-DqA1UA

Anyone played it? It's by Blizzard and I've seen it in a few vids here and there. Not sure I'd actually enjoy it though as it reminds me of PoP and Flashback, both games I wanted to like more than I did.
  • I read about it and watched a few YouTube videos, I decided to delete the ROM without playing it after.

Like you say it seems like a Flashback type game, and I'd play that over Blackthorne as I never completed it back in the day.

I'm up for playing Blackthorne if people wanna try it out on here though.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It looks impressive in terms of production values, and that it's Blizzard has me intrigued.
  • I'm game, maybe I was too hasty in deleting it.

It had a free PC release in 2013 on some Blizzard store/site.

Might be the version to play.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • We played it it here a couple of years back. Will try to dig out the thoughts assuming I haven't made it up.
  • Must have been one I missed.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Might've been when I was obsessed with the handhelds and requesting suggestions every week.
  • Yeah let's not bother. I'll watch a speedrun at some point.
  • You pick one next Nick, we've all had choices iirc. Go Blackthorne if you like, might've just been Jon and I that played it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I had Blackthorne - played like a bigger scale Flashback. I didn't bother perservering.

SNES Prince of Persia was the biz though. Far better example of that side on roaming around thing.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I also have fond memories of the MS/GG version of alien3.
    I think I even finished it back in the day.
    Never played the 16-bit versions, they look decent but I can imagine them not having aged well.

Blackthorne looks excellent as I enjoyed Flashback. Early Blizzard game so probably worth a shot.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!