#Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I started The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene the other day. It’s about string theory and suchlike. Good so far.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Finished The Devils of Loudon at long last. It isn't a long book and it's a breeze when it's narrative - telling the tale, but Huxley takes us off that several times to ponder the state of the mind of 17th Century people. It can be interesting but the prose is dense in places; almost becoming academic. Even so it does reveal what the human mind is capable of doing to itself and is a worthwhile read.

It could be a bit of a rabbit hole as it references other works including some authored by those who played a role in the affair.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I've only seen the Ken Russell joint (which owns).
  • Finished Cage of Souls, which was excellent if a little bleak. Some great ideas and a fantastically alien vision of Earth's possible future, heavily seasoned with pessimism about whether we deserve to exist as as species.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I've just got a bunch of Adrian Tchaikovsky audiobook, think Cage of Souls is in there, looking forward to them as I've not read any of his books before (I say read, it's all audio books now whilst I drive around for work).

Just redone Tad Williams Empire of Grass. Can't wait for the 3rd book so have started the original trilogy, it's amazing how the choice of voice actor can make or break an audio book.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I have picked up Abercrombie’s The Blade Itself again, after putting it down about a year and a half ago. I didn’t think it was for me, but I keep hearing how amazing The First Law series is, so I’ve decided to give it another bash.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    halfgone wrote:
    Just redone Tad Williams Empire of Grass. Can't wait for the 3rd book so have started the original trilogy, it's amazing how the choice of voice actor can make or break an audio book.

Ooh, I’m planning on doing the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn audiobooks throughout the summer.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    I have picked up Abercrombie’s The Blade Itself again, after putting it down about a year and a half ago. I didn’t think it was for me, but I keep hearing how amazing The First Law series is, so I’ve decided to give it another bash.

I absolutely love all of his First Law world books - but that one is by far the weakest in the series and like you I wasn't sure about it at first. Keep at it though, they get better and better.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Ooh, I’m planning on doing the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn audiobooks throughout the summer.

Im only a short way into the dragonbone chair. Its the same reader as the newer books. Hes excellent.

Recently re-listened to Snowcrash, I think that is one of the best done audiobooks I have come across.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    I've only seen the Ken Russell joint (which owns).

That's what put me onto the book. The film doesn't deviate much from it.
  • Was thinking of starting a B&B Reading Record 2021 thread, as books are by far my most consumed media art the moment. Want sure if I should though, as it may dilute this excellent thread. Thoughts?
  • Do eeeeet!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Folio Society sale should be up tomorrow morning.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Uh oh...
    Get schwifty.
  • Please remind me when it starts.  I have a busy day tomorrow and will no doubt forget to buy even more books without help.
  • I had a great day in the markets today. I’m ready to splurge! I think.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Folio sale is live.  It’s a pretty lean and uninteresting collection this year in my opinion, and some of the titles included aren’t even in stock.
    Get schwifty.
  • Yeah browsing now. Pretty meh. Outlaws of the Marsh I’d like, though.
  • Don’t think the sale tab / section is working. Might have to browse the rest of the site. Should’ve just made a wish list, would’ve been easier!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've ordered a copy of Brideshead for Flora for her birthday in March, but yeah, a bit thin otherwise.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Some poetry anthologies I'd like. Some WW2 stuff like Max Hastings' Bomber Command that I've always fancied.

Might pick something up.
  • davyK wrote:
    Some poetry anthologies I'd like. Some WW2 stuff like Max Hastings' Bomber Command that I've always fancied.

Might pick something up.

Bomber command, reach for the skies and the dam busters would be a decent read but as they are just photo plates with a snazzy cover I think for £30+ I’d rather get the paperbacks or secondhand elsewhere.
    It’s not like you are getting illustration plates as well.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah....

There's a Larkin Anthology that isn't in the sale. Might just pick that up as I'm a fan of his style.
  • I picked up a few books incl Outlaws of the Marsh, Voyages to the Moon and Sun, and The Secret Agent.

Went full price on A Wizard of Earthsea as it was down to last few copies.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I have Voyages to the Sun and Moon.  Will be reading this year.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Folded and bought the Larkin Anthology. He was a keen photographer and this book features a selection of his pictures. Wasn't in the sale but don't care as it's not an expensive one. Wondering if there will be NI-GB hijinks post Brexit.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have started Vol.3 of Churchill's epic WW2 work.

It starts early 1941 and talk about plate spinning......Atlantic U-boats, North Africa tanks (defeating Italy but then having to hold Tobruk against a rampant Rommel), and being pushed out of Greece by the Germans flooding resources into the Baltic region via the "support" of Romania and Hungary (which may have been prevented if Turkey+Greece+Yugoslavia had united with GB)...all while keeping the home defence in place, quashing a pro-German uprising in Iraq, and keeping hold of Egypt and control of the Suez canal.....pretty much alone (albeit with the resources of the Empire to hand - Indian, NZ, South African, Kenyan and Aus troops being used to supplement the home forces).

The US help with Atlantic patrols reporting German sightings but not getting involved, and sending some older ships in return for land leases off the East US coast for their own defence in the case of Germany getting its mitts on the Royal Navy.

I'm at the point where Crete is being held onto but in the face of a huge upcoming assault.... Crete was vital as a port + airbase due to its location - close to Alexandria and Malta (itself vital for N.Africa campaign).
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The Passage for 99p is an absolute bargain of anyone's not read it
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Bought. Does it work as a stand-alone or are the other two required reading?
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It works pretty well as a standalone I'd say. But yeah there's not too come at the end of it. Our likes haven't always been assigned but really hope you enjoy - and do keep going even if you're unconvinced by the start because Things Happen

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!