A digital life.
  • I'd much rather have a CD that I can rip into mp3 than an mp3. I like vinyl with awesome artwork though. It helps that I can also rip that as well.
    Vinyl rips sound a bit weird imo. I like how you usually get the full mp3 album with Vinyl now. Sometimes you'll get the CD, mp3 download and vinyl just for the price of the vinyl. Which is sadly very pricey.

I've not noticed any issues tbf. Housemate got the new Yellowcard album on vinyl for £12 from HMV, which came with the MP3, although oddly didn't advertise that fact. But it is cool that a lot of them do that now. The new Motion City Soundtrack came with a CD, although not with the bonus tracks for some reason.
  • Bonus restricted to vinyl so they get more to buy the vinyl so they get more money?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I still have all my tape packs right here. About 150 tapes of DnB/Happy Hardcore. Still feels good to bang one on now and then.

The artwork oh yes.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Bonus restricted to vinyl so they get more to buy the vinyl so they get more money?

The bonus tracks were just on the solus CD, not on the vinyl or the free CD it came with. Seemed rather odd to me.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I like to 'own' the music I steal, so I don't think I'm ever going to be convinced by streaming services. Besides, I have had too many issues with internet connections to feel that I can rely on them to the extent that I can only listen to music when I'm online. Hell, I currently live in a country where even electricity and running water is far from guaranteed.

Books are a bit different. I don't own a Kindle, but I do want one, but the physicality of a nice hardback book is something joyful. I'll still happily own physical copies of the stuff I really love.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    By the by, the Zune model downloads the actual files so you don't need to be online, and can even put them on your phone (if it's WP)

I think Spotify premium does something similar.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yeah, I've heard this, but I don't like the idea that stuff can be removed from the library online. I want access to the music I love forever.

The other issue I'm starting to have with music online is the quality. I currently have a hard drive stuffed with MP3 and AAC files, but am seriously considering going through the lot, deciding what I want to keep and tracking down everything else in a lossless format. Storage is so cheap these days that it doesn't really seem worth compressing your music collection to save a few dozen GB.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Yeah, I've heard this, but I don't like the idea that stuff can be removed from the library online. I want access to the music I love forever. The other issue I'm starting to have with music online is the quality. I currently have a hard drive stuffed with MP3 and AAC files, but am seriously considering going through the lot, deciding what I want to keep and tracking down everything else in a lossless format. Storage is so cheap these days that it doesn't really seem worth compressing your music collection to save a few dozen GB.
    I've just picked up a 1tb Buffalo for under £60 so that I can sort out all my stuff and have a full re-install of my PC.
  • I'm sticking with CDs for as long as they're available; MP3s are just too squished and they don't have that cool rainbow thing going on. And iTunes can, as our Scottish friends would say, bally well get to.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I didn't realise animals had storage space. I might look for a cat with a few gigabytes in it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If you can only fit a terabyte in a buffalo, you'd be lucky to even fit 1GB into a cat.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Bonus restricted to vinyl so they get more to buy the vinyl so they get more money?

The bonus tracks were just on the solus CD, not on the vinyl or the free CD it came with. Seemed rather odd to me.

That's just to make you buy the album twice, like when bands would release two versions of a single, just adding different B-Sides etc

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Moto must have got one of the lower range of buffaloes.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I like to 'own' the music I steal, so I don't think I'm ever going to be convinced by streaming services. Besides, I have had too many issues with internet connections to feel that I can rely on them to the extent that I can only listen to music when I'm online. Hell, I currently live in a country where even electricity and running water is far from guaranteed.

Books are a bit different. I don't own a Kindle, but I do want one, but the physicality of a nice hardback book is something joyful. I'll still happily own physical copies of the stuff I really love.

We're alike (bar the fact that I live in Nottingham) as I also just love the physical nature of stuff. It's some kind of nesting instinct I'm sure.

But I also love streaming services, because I don't torrent, and if I love an album i'll just buy it on the biggest, heaviest format I can get.
  • Tempy wrote:
    That's just to make you buy the album twice, like when bands would release two versions of a single, just adding different B-Sides etc

It's already been torrented.
  • Tempy wrote:

It's already been torrented.

An you could always copy your friend's CDs, but super fans will buy this stuff.

• No, I meant my housemate torrented the bonus songs.
  • I'm confused now, I wasn't using you as in 'you' just as in the general sense of, people.
  • Yes, I know. I was just saying that my housemate downloaded the bonus songs, not that people in general have.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!