100% Factually Accurate Quizzes
  • Some of you came up with some funny answers.  Some of them were intentionally funny, and it was nice when you provided the back-story of how you knew the answer, like a brief, less dramatic Slumdog Millionaire.  Anyway, here are the answers.

Science & Nature
    1.   Which part of the eye is coloured and surrounds the pupil?  Iris
    2.   If canine refers to dogs, and feline refers to cats, what are ovine, bovine and lupine?  Sheep, cows and wolves
    3.   Which layer of the earth is between the core and the crust?  Mantle
    4.   How many eyes does a no-eyed big-eyed wolf spider have?  None
    5.   What is Pythagoras' Theorem?  In a right angled triangle, the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides
    6.   What is the longest bone in the human body?  Femur (thigh bone)
    7.   What is the binary number 1101 in decimal?  13
    8.   Which major galaxy is closest to our galaxy, the Milky Way?  Andromeda
    9.   Which sugar is found in milk?  Lactose (some of you will be kicking yourselves)
    10. What colour head does a male mallard have?  Green
    11. From which flower do we get vanilla pods?  Orchids
    12. What kind of animal is a blue-fronted parrot?  A parrot, obviously

Sport
    1.   How many gold medals, and how many medals in total, did Team GB win during the London 2012 Olympics?  29 gold, 65 in total (half a point for getting close with both)
    2.   Who won the 2010 FIFA World Cup?  Spain
    3.   Put these boxing weight classes in order, lightest first; featherweight, bantamweight, lightweight.  Bantamweight, featherweight, lightweight
    4.   In which sport might you win by playing a Philadelphia or Mizuki?  Squash
    5.   With which sport would you associate Jon Jones, Anderson Silva and George St.Pierre?  Mixed martial arts (I also accepted MMA or UFC)
    6.   Who holds the women's 100m sprint world record?  Florence Griffith-Joyner (Flo-Jo)
    7.   Who won UEFA Euro 2012?  Spain
    8.   How many gold medals, and how many medals in total, did Team GB win during the London 2012 Paralympics?  34 gold, 120 in total (again, half a point for getting close with both)
    9.   To the nearest 5g, what is the heaviest that a regulation golf ball can be?  45.93g
    10. In what year was Alex Ferguson appointed manager of Manchester United?  1986 (half a point for within 3 years)
    11. In American Football, how many points do you score for a touchdown?  6
    12. Who won the 2012 Six Nations Rugby?  Wales

Geography
    1.   Which countries used to be called Persia, Ceylon and Siam?  Iran, Sri Lanka, and Thailand
    2.   What is the easternmost point on the Scottish mainland?  Keith Inch, Peterhead (half a point for just Peterhead)
    3.   What is the largest landlocked country in the world?  Kazakhstan
    4.   What is Mauna Kea?  The tallest mountain in the world (I gave half a point for volcano)
    5.   What is the largest body of freshwater in the UK, by volume?  Loch Ness
    6.   Where is the deepest part of any of the world's oceans?  Mariana Trench
    7.   In which state is the southernmost point of the USA?  Hawaii
    8.   There are sixteen Australian states and territories.  Name five.  Ashmore and Cartier Islands, Australian Antarctic Territory, Australian Capital Territory, Christmas Island, Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Coral Sea Islands, Heard Island and McDonald Islands, Jervis Bay Territory, New South Wales, Norfolk Island, Northern Territory, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania, Victoria, Western Australia
    9.   Which state in the USA is known as the first state?  Delaware
    10. In the different models for describing the continents, which continent is never combined with any other continent?  Antarctica - although Australasia/Oceana is a geographic region, that term is used when describing the different models.  Antarctica is never added to anything.  I should word this question better.
    11. Which three countries have the largest populations?  China, India, USA
    12. Which island group includes Ibiza, Menorca and Majorca?  Balearics

Television

1.   Which production company owns Big Brother and Deal or No Deal?  Endemol
    2.   Who were Raymond Doyle and William Andrew Philip Bodie?  The Professionals
    3.   Which programme is set in William McKinley High School, Lima, Ohio?  Glee
    4.   What was the first ever advert in the UK?  S.R. toothpaste (half a point for toothpaste)
    5.   Which soap opera ran from from 6 July 1992 to 9 July 1993?  Eldorado
    6.   What kind of animal is Ernest Penfold?  Hamster (he is repeatedly referred to as a hamster in the show, so anyone claiming he is a mole, just because he has poor eyesight, can shoosh)
    7.   Which ten part series starring Damian Lewis, follows Easy Company, of the 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment,  101st Airborne Division?  Band of Brothers
    8.   Where was Home & Away set?  Summer Bay (although 'Australia' is technically accurate, it got no points)
    9.   Which ship has the registration mark NCC-1701?  Starship Enterprise
    10. Who are Detective Inspector Jack Regan and Detective Sergeant George Carter?  The Sweeney
    11. When was Coronation Street first broadcast?  1960 (half a point for within 3 years)
    12. Which programme saw Tim Canterbury and Dawn Tinsley fall in love?  The Office

History & Politics
    1.   Which famous battle was fought on June 18 1815?  Waterloo
    2.   Who is the current First Secretary of State?  William Hague (no points for Hilary Clinton, what with us not living in the USA, and her title not being First Secretary of State)
    3.   What was the name of the German Air Force from 1935-1945?  Luftwaffe
    4.   Who is Frank Mullholland?  Lord Advocate (quiz designed for cops, y'see)
    5.   Who assassinated Abraham Lincoln?  John Wilkes Booth
    6.   Who is the first Chief Constable of the Police Service of Scotland?  Stephen House (like I said...)
    7.   What do John F Kennedy's assassination, Margaret Thatcher's resignation and Angela Merkel's appointment as Chancellor all have in common?  They all happened on 22 November, in 1963, 1990 and 2005 (half points dished out for getting close)
    8.   Which old coin was worth the equivalent of 12½p in today’s money?  Half-crown
    9.   Which prominent young MP resigned last month to move to New York?  Louise Mensch
    10. Who was the Nine Day Queen?  Lady Jane Grey
    11. What was Suffragette Emily Davison famous for?  Throwing herself under the King's horse
    12. Who was the first British Prime Minister?  Sir Ropert Walpole

Film
    1.   Which film follows Hazel, Fiver and Bigwig finding a new home?  Watership Down
    2.   What film is the only one Quentin Tarrantino has written, directed, produced AND acted in?  Death Proof
    3.   The Back to the Future trilogy is set in which FOUR years?  1885, 1955, 1985 and 2015
    4.   What does Indiana Jones do for a living?  Archeologist / Archeology lecturer
    5.   In which James Bond film was there the following exchange: “You expect me to talk?” “No, Mr Bond, I expect you to die!”?  Goldfinger
    6.   Name the Star Wars films in chronological order.  The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi
    7.   Who played Thelma & Louise?  Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis
    8.   In which film did Sir Alec Guinness play eight members of the D'Ascoyne family?  Kind Hearts & Coronets
    9.   In which film did Heath Ledger, Johnny Depp, Jude Law, Colin Farrell play the same part?  The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (Ledger died before filming was complete)
    10. Who is Raymond Babbitt?  Dustin Hoffman's character in Rain Man
    11. How many times has Rocky Balboa beaten Apollo Creed?  Once, in Rocky II
    12. Name the SEVEN Dwarves.  Sneezy, Happy, Grumpy, Sleepy, Bashful, Dopey, Doc

Food
    1.   Which drink is distilled and bottled in Lynchburg, Tennessee?  Jack Daniel's
    2.   How should pasta be cooked, and what does it mean?  Al dente - to the bite/tooth
    3.   How much, in volume, is a magnum of champagne?  Two quarts / four pints (half a point for two litres)
    4.   What is the main ingredient of a Glamorgan sausage?  Cheese
    5.   What is another name for a Chinese gooseberry?  Kiwi fruit
    6.   What is Tokaji (pronounced talk-eye)?  Hungarian dessert wine
    7.   Pumpernickel is coarsely ground rye bread, but what does pumpernickel mean?  'Devil's fart' or 'fart boy' (half a point for fart bread)
    8.   What is the main ingredient of hummus?  Chickpeas
    9.   On the Scoville scale of the spiciness of peppers, what rating does a bell pepper have?  0
    10. According to superstition, what should you do with spilled salt?  Throw a pinch over your left shoulder, into the Devil's eyes
    11. What type of beans are usually used in a tin of baked beans?  Haricot beans
    12. Which cocktail is made with peach schnapps, vodka, orange juice and cranberry juice?  Sex on the Beach

Music
    1.   Who are Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe?  Pet Shop Boys
    2.   Who sings American Idiot, Basket Case and Time of Your Life?  Green Day
    3.   Which album is often used to provide an alternative soundtrack to The Wizard of Oz?  Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon
    4.   What is the current official UK number 1 single?  At the time of writing/posting, it was Hall of Fame, The Script ft. Will.I.Am
    5.   According to The Chicken Song by Spitting Image, what should you do with a chicken and a deck chair?  Hold a chicken in the air, shove a deck chair up your nose
    6.   How is Offenbach's Orpheus in the Underworld better known?  The can-can... strictly speaking it's just the section called The Infernal Galop, and it's not the only piece of music the can-can is danced to, but it's the one we all associate with it
    7.   What is an ocarina?  A (typically) clay, glass or ceramic wind instrument
    8.   Who was the lead singer of T. Rex?  Marc Bolan
    9.   How many red balloons did Nena sing about?  Ninety-nine
    10. Which band let their fans decide how much to pay for their album, In Rainbows?  Radiohead
    11. Who has had more UK number 1 singles, Take That or Westlife?  Westlife, with 13 - Take That have had 11
    12. Who did Cliff Richard team up with to re-record his hit Living Doll for Comic Relief in 1986?  The Young Ones

Let the quibbling commence!
  • I may have 4 for sport and 4.5 for Geography, instead of 3.5 for each. But I guess it depends on how you marked it in terms of giving half points.
  • Actually, yeah, that seems fair enough.  Sorry.
  • It's ok, I'm still as ignorant.

Besides, you seem to have given me a half for saying 'something horse related' on the Emily Davison question, which is stretching the generosity a bit.
  • Heh.  I sat on that one for a minute.
  • i got 40 with admittedly about 4-5 guesses right.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    DID I WIN
  • I can't argue with your scoring of my effort, adkm, well done.
  • Well, at least folk got some enjoyment out of it, that's all that matters.
  • Regrettably I missed this.  I do enjoy a good quiz and this looked like it hit all the right buttons.  We should do something like this on a monthly basis.....  if you have time that is...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Fucking last. I'll never live it down.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Bravo ADKM - I love a good quiz, hosting one myself. Have been sneakily prepping a Games of 2012 one for later...

Always up fur some quizzing
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    May as well stick this here. Maybe Andy could make this a general quizzes thread.

169421_10151097341916344_803390155_.jpg

Some of them are quite hard, and no, I don't have the answers so you'll just have to shout loudest. Via Xbox feed.
  • Wow I actually know most of those.
  • A magnum of champagne is 1.5 litres (2 x 75cl bottle equivalent).

Where did you get  pints / 2 litres from?
  • An apparently wildly incorrect book.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I get an extra point then
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Wow I actually know most of those.

I reckon I got less than a quarter. What's 2F?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    One of the Street Fighter Alphas.

SFASodom.png
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Aha.

Right, I reckon we should sort these out, some of them are bothering me. My contribution:

A4: KOTOR?
    B4: Batman, obvs.
    1C: Tekken dude? Paul?
    2C: Sub Zero
    3C: Was it Raziel? Legacy of Kain anyhoo.
    5D: Splinter Cell
    3D: Red Dead
    E1: Majora's Mask
    E3: Shinobi
    F5: Looks like whatsisface from a Nightmare Before Christmas, but I don't know a gaming link.
    F2: Sodom, SFA (cheers Paul)
    F3: Scarecrow, AA/AC

Now how many times are you guys going to make me kick myself?
  • I think B5 is one of the priest masks from Skyrim.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    A3 and F1 are bothering me greatly. I keep wanting to say Dark Souls for one of them, but I'm not sure which.

And was 2D on the cover of some old Psygnosis game or am I confused?
  • A3 is Deadspace. F1 looks Star Warsy.  2D not 'Ghost' from CoD4?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Aha.

Right, I reckon we should sort these out, some of them are bothering me. My contribution:

A4: KOTOR?
    B4: Batman, obvs.
    1C: Tekken dude? Paul?
    2C: Sub Zero
    3C: Was it Raziel? Legacy of Kain anyhoo.
    5D: Splinter Cell
    3D: Red Dead
    E1: Majora's Mask
    E3: Shinobi
    F5: Looks like whatsisface from a Nightmare Before Christmas, but I don't know a gaming link.
    F2: Sodom, SFA (cheers Paul)
    F3: Scarecrow, AA/AC

Now how many times are you guys going to make me kick myself?

I can't see some of them too well but

A1: Vega, SF
    A3: Isaac, Dead Space
    A4: Zer0, Borderlands 2
    A5: Tali, Mass Effect
    B2: Dishonored
    B3: Bioshock?
    B6: Pyramid Head, Silent Hill 2
    C1: King, Tekken
    D1: Piggsy, Manhunt
    E4: El Salvador, Resi 4
    F5, Shy Guys, various Mario titles
    F6, Bowser Jr, various Mario titles

None of them are Dark Souls
  • D1 is Jigsaw from Saw, not Pigsy.  Is A2 not he two guys from Army of Two?
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    D1 is Jigsaw from Saw, not Pigsy.  Is A2 not he two guys from Army of Two?

Right on both I think. Fancy having Jigsaw over Piggsy.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I can't believe I didn't get Vega.
  • D6 is Lemonhead from The Secret of Monkey Island.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!