Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I fucking adore Souls 3. I really do. But three playthroughs in a row I've gotten to Irithyll and quit. Same this time, rinsed it last week over three days, got to there, no desire to go back.

Its definitely burnout. There are games burnout never really happens on, Football Manager, Isaac etc, but that's because they aren't games that demand your immediate, constant attention. Souls does and after about 700 hours in those worlds over the past few years, it feels all too familiar.
  • I need to go back and do the dragon area before I think about dlc. Although I have a run up to Irithyll so should use that for dlc really.
  • I'm hitting NG+ just now and it's fairly just the same with no changes.
    At least ds2 had additional enemies added.
    The fact I'm running through with a executioner sword +10 with a bleed stone and +5 shield is making this easier than the first run. Already had the white branch so no need to bother with the giant. It's good, but I can see me quitting before the end. Bleed damage is OP.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I'm not sure it is burn out. I'm a Souls nut but I've zero desire to ever play 3 again. And I loved it mostly.

It's just not very repayable for whatever reason.
    Probably due to the start of the game being a bit pish gameplay wise, and the distinct lack of branching paths for multiple, varied runs.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I was meaning burnout in a personal sense, you lot are just lunatics.
  • Lol. I'm so burnt out with games I'm scorched Dark man.
  • I've never played through any bloodsouls more than once, i'm a heathen!
  • 3 is the Burnout Takedown of Dark Souls
  • Aw yeah that was the best Burnout. I played it to death. So good.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I'm not that keen on DS3 either tbh. I wouldn't say I'm burned out on Souls games either, if another one came out tomorrow I'd buy it.

It felt similar to Uncharted 3 to me in that it's more of the same just not as good. Areas aren't memorable, bosses aren't memorable, no attachment to any of the npc's. 

It also doesn't help that the pvp is the most limited and samey in the entire series.

I've got a couple of builds on the go but no desire to return to it at all.
  • Had ds3 been a brand new franchise from an unknown developer it would have been rightly praised to the high heavens.  Feels like people are looking for a reason to bring it down because they haven't had that same thrill they had the first time round.
    Objectively it's an outstanding game, the only real complaint to my mind is the FPS issue.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It is an outstanding game but it can only really be measured by the previous games in the franchise. The nostalgia bullshit really drags it right down in my eyes, all the nods and hellos with previous characters/locations etc.

The gameplay, world building etc is still astonishing, but it is essentially more of the same and to people who have caned every one in the series, I totally get the disappointment.
  • Had ds3 been a brand new franchise from an unknown developer it would have been rightly praised to the high heavens.  Feels like people are looking for a reason to bring it down because they haven't had that same thrill they had the first time round. Objectively it's an outstanding game, the only real complaint to my mind is the FPS issue.
    It is an outstanding game but it can only really be measured by the previous games in the franchise. The nostalgia bullshit really drags it right down in my eyes, all the nods and hellos with previous characters/locations etc. The gameplay, world building etc is still astonishing, but it is essentially more of the same and to people who have caned every one in the series, I totally get the disappointment.

Both good points. You are not really disagreeing just saying things from a different perspective. From my perspective yes i played Dks1 first but i only played it through once so i haven't played it as much as many and probably don't even notice the nostalgia nods. Taken on their own both amazing games, Dks1 will always be a bit magic due to my first experience but it had flaws which Dks3 does not and Dks3 graphics + combat way better.

Anyway, DLC etc etc
  • Agreed on all the nods to older games DS. Over the top fan service.
  • I have a sickness.

As most here will know now, I've been playing souls games pretty non-stop for a while now with other games (Witcher 3 excepted) only getting the smallest of look ins during that time.

Well, after my second go through Bloodborne (to try a STR) build, I have now gone back into Dark Souls 2 - this time going for Sorcery and Hex. I have been ripping through it. Once this is done I'm gonna go back and play Demon's again and (once they're both out) pick up the DS3 DLC.

I can't stop playing these games.
  • I have a sickness.

It is a blessing
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Nothing wrong with playing your favourite games :)
  • Playing NG+ in ds3 and Scholar.
    Both great fun.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I'm really disappointed in the ds3 dlc. It was good while it lasted, but it's so short. Last boss is great, but those that don't like multi stage bosses will hate it.

So, so short, and nothing that I was hoping.
  • voices wrote:
    but those that don't like multi stage bosses will hate it.
    Fuck. That's me out.
  • Short is good. I don't have time for lengthy stuff 

Multi stage bosses are great. 

So.... I should get off my bloody arse and play it then!!!
  • JonB wrote:
    voices wrote:
    but those that don't like multi stage bosses will hate it.
    Fuck. That's me out.

Lol, I was thinking of you while reading it.
  • Yeah, I didn't like the triple trolling of the last boss. Did you solo it JB? hardcore if so.
  • No, I didn't do any of the double health bar bosses solo first time. I've since done Abyss Watchers and the Princes on my own, but haven't been any further than that. Mostly because I find most of the bosses after the first 3 lords really boring and annoying.

One of the things I loved about the bosses in Souls games originally was that single health bar ominously stretching across the bottom of the screen, which represented the task in hand and your progress through it. The first few hits you chip away at it and it's hard to see how you'll ever win, but you gradually get it down to almost nothing and know that the moment it's empty that's the killing blow. Subverting that idea once with S&O was fine. What they did in DS3 (and Bloodborne to an extent) was just chucking more stuff in for the sake of it. The final boss in DS1 is neat, well-matched battle. In DS3 it's a tedious marathon.
  • Agreed. I'm yet to hear from someone that likes the cheap fuck you of the bar completely refilling. Fuck you Nameless King, fuck you Bland of Cinder
  • I liked it. The last boss was the best thing about the dlc. I would rate it as a decent multi-stage boss too, as each stage had it's difficulties, unlike Nameless King where the first stage was a cake walk that felt like it was just wasting your time.

I could feel myself getting a bit better at it with each failure, which in my opinion is the hallmark of a good boss.
  • To clarify, I liked the boss. I did not like the dlc.
  • After a long hiatus from gaming have returned to my beloved dark souls (my original save glitched in undead burg ng++). I think its the very best game, just sublime.

The boy (7 - dont judge) was hankering for a go. After only verbal instruction on the controls the little fecker managed the asylum demon on his 2nd attempt. Very proud moment.
  • Heads up: Cook and Becker will be doing some giclees of Dark Souls concept art. Keep an eye out late Nov/early Dec.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!