Dark Souls
  • You burnt out before the best one. Which is a shame. I think the human mind can only really stomach about 3 of the same thing in less than 8 years. That's like the same thing every 2 years! 

Dark Souls 3 was utterly tepid to me for example. I got to the Dragon Shrine bit, stopped playing it and never went back. It had its moments but I largely just found it a bit piss.

Then again I only ever play these games to completion once. That's enough.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Bloodborne is too hard for chalice anyway, he can't stand there with his shield up shitting his keks
  • So take a year off souls games. I haven't done Bloodborne DLC i will do it someday even if it's in 2 years it doesn't matter
  • Bloodborne took multiple attempts to click with me, but once it finally clicked...oh my!
  • I don't get why ds3 is meet with such apathy by many on here.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • It just felt like going through the motions for me, with few inspiring bosses.
  • I was really into it until about 3/4 through the first playthrough. The size and complexity of some of the locations is really something when exploring them for the first time. Some of the bosses are very good too.

But I've always valued replaying souls games repeatedly and couldn't muster the enthusiasm to keep going through that same journey again and again. It's too linear and too structured with its hub full of NPCs (another thing I liked at first). It's also especially bad because the last quarter is so uninspired, with such drawn out and unimaginative boss encounters. Pretty much everything from the Dancer onwards drained my enjoyment of the game. I've never got why DS1 gets such criticism for its final sections (barring the Izalith route), and they're a masterpiece next to what DS3 does.

Overall, another year in production might have helped it a lot, but there was also a spark of originality and creativity missing, beyond the art design.
  • Speedhaak wrote:
    Putting this off 'til I'm done with Nier/Horizon/MassEffect.

Why? Souls is better than all of those combined. Dark Souls sits in my top 5 and likely will for ever more. Almost the perfect game, in my opinion.

Nonononooo. This is the last little bit of fresh Souls I'll ever get to play. I'm booking time off and will aim to savour it, likely tip-toe through it at a snails pace, smelling the flowers and all that.
  • Bloodborne took multiple attempts to click with me, but once it finally clicked...oh my!

It's a stupidly brilliant game, best Soulsbourne bar the first Dark Souls. Massive highlight when I finally grasped the whole shoot-to-set-up-a-visceral-attack ploy. The lights came on and I was infatuated. I even did the entire chalice dungeon thread until I got the final trophy, and that was honestly the grindiest most repetetive slog I've ever tolerated ever. It's a masterpiece.
  • Tempy wrote:
    That is kinda the point of it though. It isn't going to be to everyone's taste. Not everyone can perceive the majesty of the dream, unless they can open their eyes on the inside.
    Clever!
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Eat an umbilical cord.
  • Bloodborne goes back to consumables just like demons souls does. You can see why people searched for the connection between the two of them. Apparently father gasgoyne used to say umbassa before it was cut. There are some striking similarities in the set up through to the end game.
    It takes time to click though so persevere chalice.
    Once it does, it's utterly wonderful.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Talking of links to demon's - anybody notice the whispering voice in duke's archives?
  • The combat in bloodbourne is ace but that Forrest level is a pain in the tits
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Dark Souls is like that time you got pissed drunk and had to walk 10 miles home which took like 5 hours ( 1 step forward, several back) and was horrific but the flashbacks the next day of demons vanquished along those country roads made it all worth while.

Or not.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    /carry on
  • Dark Souls is like that time you joined fight club and didn't really enjoy getting punched and so gave up but then you realised at work the next day that the guy who talked about fight club despite not being supposed to talk about fight club had a massive hard on when he described getting beat up, so you figure there must be something in it and now you enjoy masochist bouts of pain followed by having an amputee gimp piss in your mouth except your new gimp's diet ain't quite right and his piss tastes funky.
  • The combat in bloodbourne is ace but that Forrest level is a pain in the tits
    Whitaker?
  • Only Dorkboss that's ever really frustrated me was Kalameet, and that's because I only got to him in the middle of NG+++++
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Gazza is best boss. All DkS bosses are weak bar Fatboy Slim.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Dark Souls is like that time you joined fight club and didn't really enjoy getting punched and so gave up but then you realised at work the next day that the guy who talked about fight club despite not being supposed to talk about fight club had a massive hard on when he described getting beat up, so you figure there must be something in it and now you enjoy masochist bouts of pain followed by having an amputee gimp piss in your mouth except your new gimp's diet ain't quite right and his piss tastes funky.

You win.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Look ffs DkS is the best no more conversations okay thanks very much k bye.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    DkS is good but its not that great, I'll stick by this point and fight anyone who disagrees
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Tell me more, oh wise one.
  • It's the best video game ever. There's nothing else to say.
  • This old chestnut eh
  • I know, right? I'm happy to have settled it once and for all.
  • JonB wrote:
    It's the best video game ever if there's nothing else to play.
    FTfY
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Speedhaak wrote:
    Tell me more, oh wise one.

DkS is Terminator 3, Bloodborne is Terminator, DkS2 is Terminator 2

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!