The Car thread
  • Ooft, that's a tasty car. I'd never be able to get a 2k deposit together for it though! Must've been an r line i saw, rather than an r, think the r line looks like the fast one but isn't that quick (same way an fr leon looks like a cupra).
  • Walking past the Italian Church near me earlier, there was a wedding on with this little beast outside.

BFthmLc.jpg
  • That’s a wee cracker!

(And the Golf R Estate is a proper car. Do it!)
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Yeah the Golf R definitely wasn't on the radar until I saw this deal.
    My knowledge of lease deals is limited to what I see pop up on HUKD and the comments on there.  Seems like the general rule of thumb is to find a lease where the total cost is less than 25% of the OTR value of the car.

If that was the normal Golf R and not the estate at that offer, I would have snapped it up. Been looking at the focus rs, focus st and golf R for awhile now, the golf is by far the most practical everyday car of the three.
  • I put my Fiat up on eBay last week, after it failed it’s MOT pretty catastrophically. Worth selling as a project or for parts. The auction ended this morning without any bids (it’s fine, I have back up buyers waiting anyway, was just seeing if an auction might bag me a higher price).

So, as is always the way with eBay car ads, now the auction is over the chancers are coming out of the woodwork. 23 messages so far, in two hours …

“Since the car didn’t sell, will you accept £250?”

“I need to sell my Samsung Galaxy S, will you keep the car until I get the money?”

“Since the car didn’t sell, can I have the bonnet, strut brace and seats? I’ll come collect. It’ll save you having to dispose of them.”

“Would you take £100 for it? It’s better than nothing, right?”

“Are you scrapping this? Can I have the alloys if I come and swap them for cheap rims?”

Jesus fucking wept.
  • PCPs are ok as long as a. you never want to settle early b. you don't put a big deposit it in at the beginning c. You're happy to always be paying a monthly payment

Basically you're just paying for the depreciation.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Saw a horizon doc about the future of self driving cars. There maybe a market for them, but it ain't me. Maybe for commuting to work. But on weekends nothing beats driving for leisure.
  • Same but I wouldn't mind sometime in the future if there was an option of knocking it into self drive mode for traffic or if I have had a few pints after work.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    So long as it's not Johnny Cab.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Saw a horizon doc about the future of self driving cars. There maybe a market for them, but it ain't me. Maybe for commuting to work. But on weekends nothing beats driving for leisure.

It's inevitable though. In 20 years time I can see owning your own car being looked on in the same way we look at people who have a private jet. I reckon most of us will subscribe to a car service, and just have a car turn up when we need it.

• Did they go into killer car morality?
  • Briefly. I want a self driving camper van that will drive me to the south of France over night while I have a drink watch a film and sleep the rest of the way.
  • I can totally see the benefits of driverless cars, and I'd be well up for using them. But yes, I would still like my own to use evenings/weekends to have driving pleasure as well.

Driverless car with internet access, power sockets, TV screens you can plug a device into etc - would make big commutes or long journeys more entertaining.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I loved the curious side effect of driver-less cars, which was the resulting shortage in organs for donation.
  • We were discussing this at work today. A hybrid would be best. Drive when you want. When you get tired or your pissed the car drives for you.
  • Isn't that also called "the wife"?
  • I think that is the most likely transition.
    Like the next step on self braking, cruise control, parking sensors etc. Many of the tools are already in our cars and more will sneak in.

The big step is getting people to take their hands off the wheel, call it "traffic management" at first, let the car do the work in gridlock traffic, even full on petrol heads will love that in their top end Merc/BMW/Audi. The tech will be easier to get through safety as well, have it only work at low speeds.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    call it "traffic management" at first, let the car do the work in gridlock traffic, even full on petrol heads will love that in their top end Merc/BMW/Audi.

Wankers Mode.
  • Picked up a SEAT Leon ST FR today. There's probably an amusing anagram in there.

Anyway, it's pretty nice. A decent upgrade from the Focus. Went with 1.4 150ps petrol engine.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Ah, SEAT. Can't afford a proper vw not ready for own brand Skoda.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I prefer the styling with current SEATs, VW equivalents are really dull looking.
  • Ah, Bob's a car snob!  I did actually look at Skodas and VWs.  Was quite tempted by a new Superb but they had a massive wait on petrol engines, guy said 4months+.  Didn't want a diesel, which ruled out the Passat, golf didn't appeal cos I used to have a GTi and I miss it, anything less wouldn't have felt right.   Decided to go for something we could buy outright so we're not tied into finance or PCP.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Bob wrote:
    Ah, SEAT. Can't afford a proper vw not ready for own brand Skoda.

Lol

• I would pick a SEAT over a VW in Bradford. All Golfs are piloted by arseholes.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Seats tend to be better specced for the same money, and better looking (imo). Dunno if it's still the case, but the MK2 leon cupra was quicker than the equivalent golf gti as well.

Walk past a skoda garage every morning, tempted by an Octavia estate myself.
  • My mate is picking up some new Skoda estate company car, apparently it has umbrellas in the doors like a Rolls.
  • I love the look of the fabia. Something cool and retro boxy that isn't in any others in the same class.
  • n0face wrote:
    My mate is picking up some new Skoda estate company car, apparently it has umbrellas in the doors like a Rolls.

That'll be the ironically named Superb I expect. i.e. a slightly modified long wheel base Passat. Motoring nirvana I'm sure.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You really need to capitalise Fabia or it looks a bit rude.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!