The Car thread
  • She’s a real beauty Pops. Love that colour.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • poprock wrote:
    Feels like I’ve had a proper Bank Holiday Monday today. Spent the afternoon on the spanners.

A52-ABDF5-43-C2-44-DC-8-C6-F-D3-C0740847-DB.jpg

Because TVR’s design is, to put it politely, mental, I couldn’t open the bonnet up properly without getting the car up on ramps first. A challenge when it won’t start.

1-E129-B86-8514-4-F17-8-F5-A-EC4-F967-AF994.jpg

The battery was beyond fucked. So now it has a new battery. And it starts. And it sounds glorious.

IMG-0367.jpg

So I could drive it back down off the ramps. Much easier. Before that though, I got the British numberplates fitted. Which feels like a proper step towards getting it an MOT.

Simple but satisfying work.

• Thanks G.

To explain the numberplate, my Dad was Dave Blow.
  • :)
  • Back at the BMW dealer after my car has allegedly been fixed. Be glad to get rid of that 2 Series roadster. Nice car, but not for me.
  • Hurrah! My car is fixed under warranty! :)
    I have missed my car.
    Not a car guy, but I do love this big ol’ beast.
  • And is everything actually fixed? Double yay!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Honestly impressed with anyone who can work on a car. Filling up the water washer is my limit.
  • I had to ask a colleague to help me top up my oil today, lol
  • poprock wrote:
    And is everything actually fixed? Double yay!
    Seems to be. For now…
  • Right so mind last year? My Mazda went up in flames as I was driving? Okay so, in the moment it happened, it only ever involved me. No other person was with me, and no other motorist was involved. I heard a big bang, smoke started coming out everywhere and with the loss of power, I navigated my way to a hard shoulder just as you enter a slip road off the motorway towards a big busy roundabout. I was well out of the way, alone, safe.

Okay so the car was obvs a write off. And in the following days it got taken to the recovery depot and I then instructed them to write it off, and informed the DVLA. I then contacted my insurer, told them of the incident and told them I was writing it off, and to cancel the policy. I paid the cancellation fee and that was that.

Fast forward to today
    We write with reference to the incident detailed on the right.

We have received allegations that you were involved in a Road Traffic Incident on 02/09. The third party allegations are "You have collided with the street road" and the location of the incident is M73 J2 N/B Slip to Baillieston

So I phoned and explained look, no one else was involved and the car was a write off. What the fuck?

Eventually she said don't worry we'll cover it on our end but, who the fucks the third party when no one was involved? The roads authority? For leaving a burnt patch? What?

Halp, pls.
  • Aye. The local Council will be trying to grab money from your insurance company to repair the tarmac or something. You’ll be covered, your insurer will handle it, try not to worry about it at all.
  • Yeah. They’ll want to resurface and make a little on top.
  • Ah, right. That makes sense. I kept asking but she just wouldn't offer even a sensible maybe towards who the third party were. Left me a bit concerned. She did say it was all covered though.
  • Yeah. They’ll want to resurface and make a little on top.

They’ll definitely be skimming it.
  • That's fucking priceless. "Collided with the road." Would be nice to think they're going to use the money from claims like this to...um...actually fix the fucking roads!
    Not holding my breath on that one.
  • Yeah it's funny how I, um, collide with the road using circular road objects every day
    I somehow end up at work! My word!
  • I'll never get over the fact that I drove into the rear of some guy's car at about 2 miles per hour, and he put in a claim for whiplash. Because I didn't take a photo of the front of my car (there was literally nothing to take a photo of), they said it wasn't worth trying to try and contest his injury. So, that was a lesson learnt. If you get in any kind of accident, take as many pictures as you can, of everything. In terms of damage to his car, there was a tiny little abrasion.
  • Aye, people are c***s. Always take pictures, even if there's no visible damage.
  • I really don't think zmm adding a picture to his claim would help.
  • A pal was at the Beijing auto show and sent me a pic of this. The Dongfeng M-Hunter. It’s an off road EV, and sadly priced at silly money levels (over a million yuan).

1714061303884?e=1717027200&v=beta&t=cQIDF0Wmcad1OyARtrSen0wBgNUuMtxEn4gM8xM5w40
  • Yeah, there's some cool stuff at that motor show. Obviously though, given it is China, it is dominated by EVs.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Has anyone managed to get rid of those vertical side window streaks like in the picture (it's not my car)?
    something-on-the-front-window-smeared-etching-v0-6w9dk83zraqb1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=d051d21f65bfa8eefac634c0e3739d9e0ebb60ea

I believe they are light scratches cause by dust in the seal at the bottom of the window. There are plenty of Youtube videos claiming various polishes will get rid of them but has anyone here successfully dealt with them? No amount of wiping with windows cleaning stuff will shift them.
  • Last week I had two tyres go with bloody great big nails. They couldn't repair them so I ended up paying out £350 for a whole new set of tyres.
    Yesterday the car was very hard to get into gear. Last night it flat out refused to go into gear, suspect it's either a fucked clutch or the slave cylinder is gone.
    If it's the clutch I'm quoted the best part of £700. I've also left messages with 5 different mobile mechanics and garages and nobody is returning my messages. (It is Sunday though).

If it's the clutch, that's over a grand on repairs to a shitty old 2014 Zafira that I paid £3k for just 2 years ago.

That's also after I paid a grand for a repair last year in which turned out to be a simple temperature sensor gone (that required 3 weeks worth of shuttling it between different garages as nobody could find out why it wasn't starting).

Oh and it needed quite a bit of work on its last MOT.

So fed up with this fucking car but I also do not have enough to replace it.

And I have an angry wife who keeps insisting that she can't go a week without the car.
    Well tough shit.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • If you get a car on one of those monthly payments things, do repairs like that get covered for you? Curious as we'll need to get a car soon and I haven't had one in over a decade. Considering the monthly option over buying a used outright.
  • Yes, we have a scheme through work that pays for it via salary sacrifice.
    Zero deposit, money comes straight from your salary pre tax so you end up with a lower tax bill.
    The costs include insurance, all road tax, all services, all MOTs, any repairs etc.

So it's a "one monthly payment" that covers everything and saves money in the long run.
    Trouble is, I need a 7 seater with so many kids.
    Those run about £500pm which I can't afford.

If I wanted a small easy reliable run around for the wife and I, it would only be about £250pm which is much more palatable.

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • My work has introduced that scheme recently, but just for ev's
    Means the bik tax is much lower but the cars are more expensive, about 400pm for the cheapest option and even then prob not suitable for us in size and range terms. More like 500pm for what i want which is about twice what we could manage.
    So struggle on with the old car it is but alas I'm expecting a few bills like wooks, tyres coming up to be replaced, battery i think is getting iffy and brakes are a bit noisy despite recently being done.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Yes, we have a scheme through work that pays for it via salary sacrifice.
    Zero deposit, money comes straight from your salary pre tax so you end up with a lower tax bill.
    The costs include insurance, all road tax, all services, all MOTs, any repairs etc.

So it's a "one monthly payment" that covers everything and saves money in the long run.
    Trouble is, I need a 7 seater with so many kids.
    Those run about £500pm which I can't afford.

If I wanted a small easy reliable run around for the wife and I, it would only be about £250pm which is much more palatable.

• We're just about coping with 3 kids in a Ford Focus. We've paid if off now but the payments weren't mental. The wife has to go in the back which is another bonus.
  • We're just about coping with 3 kids in a Ford Focus. We've paid if off now but the payments weren't mental. The wife has to go in the back which is another bonus.

Holes in the boot lid?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!