Weird Stuff (tinfoil hat wearing goons only, please)
  • EFifty wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    That gobbledygook reminds me off Freeman on the land
    Exactly what I thought as I started reading it. They spout that shite. Free men / freemen of the land / sovereign citizens. Morons, each and every one. They are the walking embodiments of the phrase ‘little knowledge is a dangerous thing’. Example: they’ve read that the Police forces in the UK and elsewhere, ‘police by consent’. This means that the Police operate with the general consent of the public; the public would generally like somebody to prevent and detect crime, and they’d generally like it to be the Police. Freemen think this means that the Police need the consent of each suspect to act. That’s why you see people shouting, “I DO NOT CONSENT,” over and over as they are detained/arrested/tasered for failing to comply with lawful orders. They also generally completely misinterpret the phrase ‘public servant’. This means that the Police serve the public interest. They think it means that a Police officer has to do everything they ask. They love to stop cops walking down the street to quiz them on the difference between ‘legal’ and ‘lawful’. They also like to ask, “Have you taken your oath today?” When an officer explains that a) Police officers don’t take an oath every day, they do it once when they’re sworn in, and b) many make an attestation rather than an oath, the freemen have no comeback but to repeatedly shout, “BUT HAVE YOU TAKEN YOUR OATH TODAY?” When asked their name, they usually spout the kind of nonsense you read in that link. Often, they then get detained or arrested for failing to provide their name. I’ve lost count of how many are going to get the cop sacked once they got out. Sorry, slight derail there. Arseholes, to a (free) man.

You're right that they don't need the consent of every suspect, but they do require consent from citizens. A cop can't walk down the street and ask someone to provide their name for no good reason. 

They do, but they have no authority to do so unless they're a suspect/witness.

I give my consent for Andy to troll smart-arse morons. And ask for their name. Problem solved.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm placing a citizen's block on your consent.
  • I'm blocking a citizens consent on your place.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm pulling on your handle.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'd have really liked to have seen someone in 80's Belfast spout that citizen shit with the RUC. Just to see how hard they'd have been hit with the butt of a rifle.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Hmmm all this is totally unfamiliar to me. Sounds like a right crock of shit.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • davyK wrote:
    I'd have really liked to have seen someone in 80's Belfast spout that citizen shit with the RUC. Just to see how hard they'd have been hit with the butt of a rifle.

I know, what fucking pricks they'd be standing up for themselves against an invasive, corrupt and murderous police force!
  • EFifty wrote:
    You're right that they don't need the consent of every suspect, but they do require consent from citizens. A cop can't walk down the street and ask someone to provide their name for no good reason. 

They do, but they have no authority to do so unless they're a suspect/witness.

Well, you’re right and you’re wrong. Anybody has the right to ask anybody else who they are and what they’re doing. As for having the authority, Police very much have that, and that’s what they have over Joe Bloggs doing the same thing. The Police are charged with preventing crime over detecting it, so that involves occasionally asking people who they are and what they’re up to. They can’t always require them to provide the information, but there’s nothing to stop the asking. Generally, the public like the Police to get in about those who have caught their attention.

It all hinges on ‘no good reason’. I don’t know any cops who ask random punters walking down the street who they are and what they’re up to for no good reason. I don’t know anybody who’s got the time to do it. (I have heard horror stories from other parts of Scotland, though.) You’re right that to do so would be wrong, but the other difficulty is that people’s perceptions of ‘good reason’ varies.

Police are also charged with keeping the peace, and that means tackling anti-social behaviour that isn’t necessarily criminal. The expectation of the general public has remained the same, while Police hands are increasingly tied by a growing belief amongst many that, unless a crime is being committed, there’s nothing the Police can do. And there is little the Police can do; you can politely ask someone to refrain, you can strongly advise someone to refrain, but if they’re just being a dick and not actually breaking the law, what then?

Apologies that I’m wandering slightly from the point. It may surprise you that I’m a huge supporters of people’s civil liberties. Stop & Search has just had a massive overhaul in Scotland, with a shift in focus to address that. It’s unfortunate that in a Venn diagram of people up to no good, and vocal supporters of civil liberties, there’s a substantial overlap, because the shift has made it significantly harder to detect crime.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying there’s not a problem. The fact that stop/search in Scotland needed an overhaul is testament to that. But that's also got a lot to do with tuning some cops in to properly building and, crucially, articulating their grounds for suspicion.

It’s a complex issue, and I’d be wary of making statements that sit too far on either side of the line.
  • In terms of anti-social behavior, don't police actually have the authority to require you to give your name?
  • Andy wrote:
    Well, you’re right and you’re wrong. Anybody has the right to ask anybody else who they are and what they’re doing. As for having the authority, Police very much have that, and that’s what they have over Joe Bloggs doing the same thing. The Police are charged with preventing crime over detecting it, so that involves occasionally asking people who they are and what they’re up to. They can’t always require them to provide the information, but there’s nothing to stop the asking. Generally, the public like the Police to get in about those who have caught their attention. It all hinges on ‘no good reason’. I don’t know any cops who ask random punters walking down the street who they are and what they’re up to for no good reason. I don’t know anybody who’s got the time to do it. (I have heard horror stories from other parts of Scotland, though.) You’re right that to do so would be wrong, but the other difficulty is that people’s perceptions of ‘good reason’ varies. Police are also charged with keeping the peace, and that means tackling anti-social behaviour that isn’t necessarily criminal. The expectation of the general public has remained the same, while Police hands are increasingly tied by a growing belief amongst many that, unless a crime is being committed, there’s nothing the Police can do. And there is little the Police can do; you can politely ask someone to refrain, you can strongly advise someone to refrain, but if they’re just being a dick and not actually breaking the law, what then? Apologies that I’m wandering slightly from the point. It may surprise you that I’m a huge supporters of people’s civil liberties. Stop & Search has just had a massive overhaul in Scotland, with a shift in focus to address that. It’s unfortunate that in a Venn diagram of people up to no good, and vocal supporters of civil liberties, there’s a substantial overlap, because the shift has made it significantly harder to detect crime. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying there’s not a problem. The fact that stop/search in Scotland needed an overhaul is testament to that. But that's also got a lot to do with tuning some cops in to properly building and, crucially, articulating their grounds for suspicion. It’s a complex issue, and I’d be wary of making statements that sit too far on either side of the line.

You've explained it perfectly. I misunderstood your post and thought you meant generally anyone who challenges the Police when they ask for details is a moron. I know a PO who is of the belief that they have the authority to stop someone at any point and demand their details. 
     I've had several encounters with the police, some being my own fault (like thrown out of a pub) and I'll comply with no issue, others with no good reason. Long story short I've challenged the request before. On two occasions they were actually stunned and quoted a terrorist act and demanded to see the identity of the people I was with as they wanted to see if they were, 'known associates'. Known associates of who? Some dude walking down the street? 
     Anyway, it probably comes across as me having an issue with the Police, and being one of those idiots who shout about the oath. But only the idiot part is true. I know two officers very well and know that a lot of them are good, they're necessary and risk their lives to help others. But unfortunately there's some bad eggs who get to a position of power and abuse it. Obviously you'd prefer the prevention of crime, but at some point you have to stand up for yourself when you're actually doing nothing wrong and it's just someone being a dick. It does come into what you said about the overlap, criminals shouldn't have loopholes to escape detection, but people should still be educated about their rights. 
     A lot of people I know shit themselves and tell the Police everything as soon as they're asked, they don't understand they have rights, and it's partly because people with automatic rifles are intimidating, but definitely also to do with the fact that they were never educated properly on important stuff like this. I definitely wasn't, and obviously you know a lot more on the subject than I would.
  • Where do you live that the police have automatic rifles?

My local bobby is armed with a mustache.
  • Where do you live that the police have automatic rifles? My local bobby is armed with a mustache.

Well I live in Sydney now, but N. Ireland! The Police in the Republic are predominantly unarmed and I think it's the same in the rest of the UK.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Would agree, kinda comes down to 'Don't be a dick' really

A couple of horror stories when much younger left me slightly cynical even as an adult. Not to the point that I judge everyone in uniform, just that I'm wary about what information I choose to share. Though even last time I was arrested (around 2100), I was offered psych first thing in the morning which I refused, was then held for the full 24 hours and told that if I'd taken the psych in the morning they would have let me out straight afterwards. Which is crazy, I was no more a threat at 1000 than I was 2000 so it was just holding me for the sake of holding me. The polices job is not to punish it's to prevent and apprehend

edit : Didn't see efiddy's posts (welcome back btw), so was agreeing with Andy (believe it or not), but also agree with EFifty as well
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Well, this is a bit fucking civil isn't it?
    This is the internet, don't you know?
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    You're like Hitler fer chrissakes
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Would agree, kinda comes down to 'Don't be a dick' really A couple of horror stories when much younger left me slightly cynical even as an adult. Not to the point that I judge everyone in uniform, just that I'm wary about what information I choose to share. Though even last time I was arrested (around 2100), I was offered psych first thing in the morning which I refused, was then held for the full 24 hours and told that if I'd taken the psych in the morning they would have let me out straight afterwards. Which is crazy, I was no more a threat at 1000 than I was 2000 so it was just holding me for the sake of holding me. The polices job is not to punish it's to prevent and apprehend edit : Didn't see efiddy's posts (welcome back btw), so was agreeing with Andy (believe it or not), but also agree with EFifty as well

Cheers mate! Good to see a lot of familiar names on here.

It essentially comes down to their way or the hard way a lot of the time unfortunately. The incident I previously mentioned where they'd asked the people I was with for ID I was wearing a ROI football shirt on a 1916 remembrance day. I hadn't even realised the day and was just walking down the street, about to get some food and happened to be wearing it. The officers surrounded me, got my arm in a lock, I pulled out my phone to record what was happening, they forced me into a corner, snatched at my phone to try to stop the recording, then one of the officers stood in front of a friend of mine's camera to stop them recording too. Literally threatened to arrest me and told me I'd be in a cell until the morning unless I provided ID and told them my address. I asked them what law I'd broken/why they were attacking/questioning me, they then quoted that terrorist act. (Which basically is a get out of jail free card in N. Ireland to question anyone) and then asked the group for ID in case they were as previously mentioned, 'known associates'. You're right to be worried about information you share with certain individuals. I definitely didn't want these people knowing my address!
  • Ah, NI, that explains things.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    EFifty wrote:
    I know, what fucking pricks they'd be standing up for themselves against an invasive, corrupt and murderous police force!

Depends on your point of view. I'm certainly glad they were there and were armed. They had dicks in their ranks of course, and it's a shame they were required, but there you go.

They had to be present at army checkpoints as the army were there assisting the police. The police could ask name, coming from , going to etc. I suspect those powers derived from an NI special case though - prevention of Terrorism Act or some such. 

I can remember the army asking me those questions too though - so not sure if there was something in place to allow that - or else there was a cop in attendance and wasn't in sight.
  • davyK wrote:
    Depends on your point of view. I'm certainly glad they were there and were armed. They had dicks in their ranks of course, and it's a shame they were required, but there you go. They had to be present at army checkpoints as the army were there assisting the police. The police could ask name, coming from , going to etc. I suspect those powers derived from an NI special case though - prevention of Terrorism Act or some such.

They definitely sent the worst to NI. In the 80s it was idiotic to question them in terms of your own well-being. You'd get the absolute shit kicked out of you, or worse. But that's obviously not right, and I feel it doesn't make people who stand up for themselves, when they're doing nothing wrong morons.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    They were piggy in the middle too - nobody's darlin' as they say. Even though they were ostensibly recruited from one side of community. That probably engendered a siege mentality of the their own.

No doubt the job attracted a breed of head knocker and recruiters were probably under pressure to get the numbers up.  They were well paid and enjoyed incredible benefits too - though they did have to check under their car every morning. I suspect the stress involved only hardened the resolve of anyone with a violent leaning. I wouldn't have done it.
  • davyK wrote:
    They were piggy in the middle too - nobody's darlin' as they say. Even though they were ostensibly recruited from one side of community. That probably engendered a siege mentality of the their own. No doubt the job attracted a breed of head knocker and recruiters were probably under pressure to get the numbers up.  They were well paid and enjoyed incredible benefits too - though they did have to check under their car every morning. I suspect the stress involved only hardened the resolve of anyone with a violent leaning. I wouldn't have done it.

Yeah. Neither side were right! All I'm saying is when it comes to law-abiding citizens being harassed/bullied they would've been right to stand up to them.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I agree. I was being flippant earlier. But self preservation would trump that. Have watched videos of those soverigen citizen idiots in the face of rather patient police and set in 80's Belfast the video would have been shorter....
  • EFifty wrote:
    I misunderstood your post and thought you meant generally anyone who challenges the Police when they ask for details is a moron.
    Actually, I would encourage challenging, but not necessarily in a challenging tone. If you genuinely have no idea why you’ve been stopped, a polite, “I don’t mean to be rude, but can I ask why?” can help both sides.
    EFifty wrote:
    Anyway, it probably comes across as me having an issue with the Police, and being one of those idiots who shout about the oath.
    No, not at all.
    EFifty wrote:
    A lot of people I know shit themselves and tell the Police everything as soon as they're asked, they don't understand they have rights, and it's partly because people with automatic rifles are intimidating, but definitely also to do with the fact that they were never educated properly on important stuff like this.
    There’s more to it than that. What you’re describing there is what we refer to as compulsion; some people feel compelled to tell the Police anything, because they’ve been told that’s what you ‘should’ do. We have to be careful with that because, despite the caution, it has been successfully argued that some people don’t fully appreciate that they are not obliged to answer certain questions.

But some people choose to answer questions if they feel it will help. I’m lucky that I’m so fucking bland and nondescript (and white) that I’ve pretty much never been stopped. If I am, I’m likely to speak and answer questions; not because I’m a cop, but because I know it’ll mean I’ll be on my way again in about thirty seconds, if that. I know a lot of non-cops with the same attitude, but that’s probably a lot to do with how rarely, if ever, they would be stopped.

Then you’ve got people who are routinely in bother, but value their honesty over everything else.

cockbeard wrote:
    I was no more a threat at 1000 than I was 2000 so it was just holding me for the sake of holding me.
    While I don’t know the exact circumstances, and can’t fairly comment, what I would say is that, without the benefit of the evaluation, they maybe didn’t know your level of risk. And when it comes to safety, an unknown risk can only defensibly be treated as a high risk. But, you’re right, it’s not the Police’s job to hold people.

There’s actually been a real shift in Scotland, people are being held in custody less often. The rules don’t come into place until January, but Custody Division have been making the shift for months now.

Edit: Fuck, more posts! EFifty, yeah, that’s out of order. I don’t get cops that object to being recorded. Working in a city centre with CCTV, working in buildings with CCTV, wearing body-worn cameras (when I was in uniform), most of my life is recorded, another camera does no harm.
  • davyK wrote:
    I agree. I was being flippant earlier. But self preservation would trump that. Have watched videos of those soverigen citizen idiots in the face of rather patient police and set in 80's Belfast the video would have been shorter....

Aye, a lot of them are idiots, but it's good when you find someone who knows what they're talking about against a dickop. Definitely would've, but isn't it better to be an idiot than a violent sociopath?
  • Andy wrote:

I definitely agree it's best to be cooperative, and I generally am. But at times it's almost like, 'treat me how I want you to treat me, or I can get you into real bother'. ('Respect my authoritayy'). It's when they abuse their power and insist that you must comply with no good reason/are unnecessarily aggressive to try and gauge a reaction. I wouldn't have been able to defend myself that day or I'd have been charged with assault on a PO, I knew that and they knew that. My only defence was my camera and that's not how it should be. 

Trouble is though it's their decision and not yours, you can literally be wrongfully imprisoned and there's nothing you can do about it. 'There's three of us and one of you, we have weapons, if you react to us placing our hands on you, you'll be charged with assault'.  You can go to court, where your logical reasoning would be given, and Cocko would have to hire a solicitor and pay all that money just to prove his innocence, and likely would get nowhere as the Judge would probably feel the Police provided enough evidence to hold him. It's the general consensus that you should do what the police say at all times, which is dangerous, but it'd also be dangerous for criminals to have methods to escape detection.

As for the recording, it just shows that they knew they were in the wrong. All police should have body cams when on patrol and I believe that is becoming more regular nowadays?
  • transportation staff (conductors and revenue protection etc) are all getting them.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • On a slightly different ALIEN note:
    OUMUAMUA
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's a rock.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Unfortunately.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!