Weird Stuff (tinfoil hat wearing goons only, please)
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    So there is at least a teeny but of uncertainty over what it is. Right? Some people like to speculate. Some people see evidence you might disagree with. Let them at it, sez I.
    No it's fine, but there is a line in the sand between evidential proof and bunkum. Extraordinary claims and all that. My point is that pseudo science is now becoming accepted and normal and this is alarming. There's homeopathy on the NHS ffs. It's not a far leap to start claiming Mexicans are evil (with proof) when all the leaps are ridiculous.

Hey now. Homeopathy is at least effective at ameliorating dehydration.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Education should have more emphasis on critical thinking and how to find things out.

We need numeracy and literacy but they themselves require the prior two to become effective.

They wouldn't be that difficult to test in an exam either with scenario based questions. Would enable literacy and numeracy testing at the same time.

There's too much emphasis on how to use a tool instead of how to apply it.

<Conspiracy mode = But I'm not sure that's what certain classes of people want to happen./>
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Not sure if I've mentioned it before, but I'm often surprised by the number of people who dispute the moon landings.

This one guy I met at work was adamant, and often pointed to details such as the lie of the flag in the vids (why was the flag fluttering?), and other such shit.

The thing that played out in my mind, was that if I stuck to the common conviction, Gazelle's, which discounts the credibility of eyewitness statements, then arguing that the landings took place becomes a mire.

I am actually exercising a degree of faith in an eyewitness statement (though the supporting evidence, like the tech used to get there, the training regimens, prior history, upholds my belief that the even took place).
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The 2 questions I have for deniers.

Why was a fake moon landing executed? Who benefited from it?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The government, maaan, because they can control you. Same shit flat earthers say. There's a much more interesting story behind all that, in what's happening in a person's life to lead them into obviously nonsense beliefs.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Not sure if I've mentioned it before, but I'm often surprised by the number of people who dispute the moon landings.

This one guy I met at work was adamant, and often pointed to details such as the lie of the flag in the vids (why was the flag fluttering?), and other such shit.

The thing that played out in my mind, was that if I stuck to the common conviction, Gazelle's, which discounts the credibility of eyewitness statements, then arguing that the landings took place becomes a mire.

I am actually exercising a degree of faith in an eyewitness statement (though the supporting evidence, like the tech used to get there, the training regimens, prior history, upholds my belief that the even took place).

There is other evidence:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Laser_Ranging_experiment
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    The 2 questions I have for deniers. Why was a fake moon landing executed? Who benefited from it?

For reasons similar to why Facebook was once found to fake a chatbot AI with 'mechanical turks'.

During the cold war, space became a frontline of a kind, so to have one side convince the other of complete mastery over this new domain would mitigate an expensive arms race, through scientific intimidation (if that's the correct term).

Which is actually a convincing reason.

The risk in faking it though wouldn't be worth it, I'm sure, though Kennedy was never known for airtight planning and decision making (as evidenced by the Bay of Pigs and it's legacy)...

Wait... I'm not going to attach myself to this idea... The moon landings took place. X'D
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Deniers argue the lunar missions were an attempt to bankrupt the USSR, forgetting that one doesn't preclude the other. They built the spacecraft to go the moon, so why not try and land on the bloody thing?
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Maybe they faked that too.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    What, the USSR?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Maybe they faked that too.

A lot of eye witnesses saw it go up. 

Wait a minute....    

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Maybe there was no USSR. Those crafty Americans...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The Russians have their own conspiracy theories about the West undermining them.
    https://www.google.es/amp/s/www.atlasobscura.com/articles/dulles-plan-conspiracy-theory-russian-election-trolls.amp
  • Surely Soviets and all amateur astronomers everywhere were watching very closely, and would have outed the fakeness as it happened?
    Or were they ALL part of the conspiracy? The Soviets conspired with America to LOSE the space race?! Because reasons and I saw a youtube.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The odds of a conspiracy involving 400,000 people leaking out are approaching certainty.

There are some who say a craft went to the moon but there were no people in it - only the moon walks were faked. That is approaching something that's feasible I suppose.

The technology to do that would be more impressive.

I recommend watching Room 237 which is the wackiest conspiracy documentary I have ever seen. It covers Kubrick filming the footage.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    But, but... Kubrick told us he did it, in The Shining.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Wow, synchronicity.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Wow, synchronicity.

:)

Spooky.,.,..
  • Kow wrote:
    The Russians have their own conspiracy theories about the West undermining them.
    https://www.google.es/amp/s/www.atlasobscura.com/articles/dulles-plan-conspiracy-theory-russian-election-trolls.amp

Whilst the specifics of that particular conspiracy theory are a bit wild, they were engaged in a 50-year Cold War with both sides trying their best to destroy the other.

With the CIA funding for all their student groups, non-commie trade unions, the congress for cultural freedom and all their other activities, the Americans were obviously waging a cultural war against Russia. I don’t think they ever really had much agent penetration within Russia itself and therefore devoted their efforts to preventing other countries ‘going commie’ or ‘falling into the Russian orbit’. The CIA having the ability to subvert Russia from within is fanciful, inside Russia itself is probably one of the only areas of the planet they couldn’t manipulate and wreck.

It was a deliberate American strategy to lure the Russians into Afghanistan and bleed them dry, the way Vietnam had done to the Yanks, of course.

Who Paid the Piper? is an excellent book about the Congress for Cultural Freedom and the battles of the cultural Cold War btw.

Dulles was an utter cunt btw, a fanatical right wing Wall Street corporate fascist who engaged himself in a lifelong battle against wealth redistribution, progress and social change. He also may or may not have been involved in the death of Kennedy, depending on which theory you subscribe to. As head of the Warren commission (a man who Kennedy utterly despised and sacked investigating his murder) he was certainly involved in attempting to cover it up and preventing Americans from asking any awkward questions about why JFK, who was debating winding down the Cold War and getting out of Vietnam, was mown down in broad daylight.

The Devil’s Chessboard is a good book about Dulles btw.

Now we can get back to talking about silly aliens...
  • Moon hoax has been debunked to fuck, as we all know, piece by piece. Won't make any difference to people who want to believe and it's only getting bigger the longer it goes on. I don't care what you want to believe but what's worrying is the fake science - what people perceive as proof or evidence to support some dumb theory. 

It's mainly a Western thing thankfully, and the East are quietly and assuredly educating their populace in the scientific method. The West is in for a shock and trouble will no doubt come of it. Lose trust in science and you're kind of fucked. Trump is throwing money at Nasa right now but it's not enough, we're becoming educationally fragmented in a way that hasn't happened before. This isn't haves vs have nots, it's a war for truth and both sides claim to have proof. 1 in 6 Brits. Fuck me.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    It's mainly a Western thing thankfully, and the East are quietly and assuredly educating their populace in the scientific method.

May need a little more detail to back up that statement.

From what I've read, the opposite, to a degree, is true, and that makes sense...

You can't have a surveillance state of the likes that China is purported to have, if a large proportion of a 1billion+ populous is educated to the level you've just suggested.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It's mainly a Western thing thankfully, and the East are quietly and assuredly educating their populace in the scientific method.

May need a little more detail to back up that statement.

From what I've read, the opposite, to a degree, is true, and that makes sense...

You can't have a surveillance state of the likes that China is purported to have, if a large proportion of a 1billion+ populous is educated to the level you've just suggested.

Yeah, all those guys from china are well known for their critical thinking. Tiananmen Square
  • I'm not talking about dictatorships and the harm that does, I'm talking about tech advancement and the benefits of science for any given society. How many Indian and Chinese students come over here to study English literature or photography? The sheer size of both countries is one thing but their scientific and tech research is massively disproportionate compared to the West in terms of percentages. 

The West is in trouble. At home there aren't enough physics teachers in the UK. The Uni Science depts are doing OK for now but it's mainly down to foreign money which will dry up once the Chinese and Indian universities get better established. After Brexit you can say goodbye to the UK being the heart of scientific research in Europe forever, not that anyone gives a fuck except the scientists. The good news is at least someone is invested, just not us.
  • Maybe it's just UCLAN, but every Chinese student I knew was doing English for International Business.
  • There's definitely lots of business too, but Glasgow maths and physics is around 50% Indian and Chinese. Mainly Chinese, but the India is catching up. In computing I think it's higher.
  • Maybe it's just UCLAN, but every Chinese student I knew was doing English for International Business.

International Business and Business management degrees are often chosen at Masters level in the UK due to the fact you can get a Masters quite quickly in the UK and they're seen as easy subjects with impressive titles, and they just want a foreign university degree. It's purely done for job hunting / CV padding back in China. They don't actually give 2 shits about the subjects, in general. If they have better maths skills they'll go the accounting route, and the preference is absolutely for high level maths and science skills, leading into other routes such as engineering, programming etc. 

Gazelle is on the money here.
  • The Chinese are proper tech and science obsessed, and that's reflected in their importance at school level.
  • You can't have a surveillance state of the likes that China is purported to have, if a large proportion of a 1billion+ populous is educated to the level you've just suggested.

Why not?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!