The B+B Album listen To And Then Discuss Thread Round 2!
  • Facewon wrote:
    Totem One review:

Either you're gonna take shit or get off the toilet.

To be more constructive: Spending the first 4 tracks being "ambient" stretches my patience.

When it does eventually start feeling a bit more constructed and arranged, it keeps up with the repetition. The choice of sounds really isn't my bag and is mostly just fairly unpleasant, the riffs that are there aren't that exciting, and they go on, and on. haven't listened to the tail end yet, but had just gotten up to a track where the drummer got to show off his chops. Dude can play.
    JJ wrote:
    we don't want to compromise our obvious aspirations for commercial viability

I will just point out that the second track (Good Mornin') is an obvious dig at commercial radio, and that they basically didn't have a single see the top, say, 30, let alone the top 10 for all the time I remember in the 90s. Their albums went to number one, as this one did. But that was definitely on the back of touring like crazy and some love from stations like JJJ and RRR.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    What you said about T1 Face, it wasn't till Schism Prism my interest piqued and I knew what they were about.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • I'm gonna check out Totum today. Not heard much yet, sounds interesting though.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Here's my pick

MI0000249869.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Hot Water Music - Fuel for the Hate Game

Album's up on Spotify.
  • Totum One by Master Musicians Of Bukakke

Never heard of these guys before selecting them for this thread, they're a hybrid group formed mainly from bands from the Seattle avant garde drone and doom rock scene. I've listened to a lot of the associated bands before but never these guys.

There are definitely the seattle scene influences in there if you know what you're looking for but they're lurking beneath the surface, they aren't the main driving force and its a million miles away from the almost monochromatic traditions of the scene. These guys are far more interested in exploring ritualistic eastern world music avanues and mixing contemporary and traditional psychedelia than simply rocking out downtuned guitars. And it works for me, i listen to alot of ambient and drone when in the right mood and this is solid, pretty inventive stuff. I really like the mix of instrumentation; there's the doom rocky stuff, fuzzy downtuned guitars and drones creeping in and out but rarely taking centre stage  - it's only on 'schism prism' that they get anywhere near a traditional doom rock outfit - then there's all the tribal instruments, pounding drums and percussion bells that i think work really well in this context; and finally there are subtle electronic elements here and there, synths and sounds very reminiscent of down tempo psychedelic and GOA trance (it reminds me a lot of that seminal ambient trance album 'The Mystery Of The Yeti' by, amongst others Simon Posford and Raja Raj but warped by fuzzy rock sensibilities).

Track 1-4 are movements of the same piece really, the music never ceases and each track shares the same general tempo and works from its predecessor as if it were a single piece. For me this was the strongest part of the album but then Schism Prism is probably the best stand alone track, though its the most predictable. I thought 'Cascade Cathedral' was probably the weakest one, i really liked the sweet acoustics and the tribal flute (?) but i think the track lacked something to finish it off, felt like maybe another layer was needed.

Really liking this and will be checking out their other two 'Totum' albums. Its a good blend of drugged out trippy music and demented ritualistic soundscapes played competently and with a decent helping of humour. 4/5
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Oh I gave it beans. BTW.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    No just 3. :)
  • So far so good, everything bar one on rdio. Still waiting for a couple of choices I see.
  • Searching For Sugar Man By Rodriguez

I warmed towards this straight away. Nice earthy, analogue sound and natural instruments, concisely arranged, traditional folk pop songs and a great voice. I mean, yeah, the guys owes a gigantic debt to Dylan on almost every account (assuming he was post-Dylan) but i don't see that as a game breaking problem - he's influenced heavily by a great songwriter, thats fair enough, i mean Dylan was heavily influenced by the folk scene so you can follow that chain of influence back further than one artist.

Production wise there's a little too much space in between the layers for my liking, sometimes songs sound a bit spread out and consequently a little under-full but by and large i enjoyed the sound of the record. I'm a sucker for pre-digi age recordings, i just like the dusty, organic sound of real instruments being recorded by real people in a room (you want to hear the room, fuck music that sounds like its made in a vacuum). I'm not fundamentally opposed to electronica or digital recording but 60s style recordings do win me over almost instantly so this album had a head start with me.

The song writing and instrumentation is all very competent. There's not much unexpected - but there are some unusual sound choices here and there which really worked, the analogue synth noodling in the middle eight of 'Sugar Man' for example - but thats not really the point, its traditional song writing with traditional instruments. Every song is lead by the grainy acoustic guitar and the vocal primarily, then from song to song the surrounding composition changes slightly; you've got sweet string sections swooping around the vocal melodies in some songs, a full band (with a really warm bass sound) on others and then maybe just a bongo and a subtle lead guitars on others. For each song the chosen instruments and arrangements are well considered and work, there's nothing on the record that sounds out of placed or mis-judged but it can sound a little safe and repetitive at times but never to the point of actual distraction.

It definitely has the sound of a compilation though, and this is a weakness for me. Songs picked out of context don't sit together as well as records that have been made as one project. The songs feel like individual tracks rather than flowing together as a record. And there are a few weak tracks: 'I Wonder' doesn't have enough going on for it in the melody and the lyrics don't really hit the mark making it a bit of a dud but as weak points go they're not that bad. 'Sandrevan Lullaby' really caught my ear, i'd say thats my favourite song. Its such a sweet sounding tune initially, really smooth and tranquil, gorgeous violin, dreamy guitars and then you drop into a minor chord and it becomes so bitter sweet as some of Rodriguez's best vocals and lyrics play out amongst the building layers. And then there's that beautiful outro as we go back to major. I also thought 'A Most Disgusting Song' stood out, the spoken word intro demands your attention. Also 'Sugar Man' is a fantastic introduction song to the artist and sounds like a definite hit.

Yeah really liked it, i'd like to hear some of his actual LP's to see how they hold up. 4/5
  • Good write up, pretty close to my own feelings. I too thought it felt a bit disjointed, compilations will do that (although I still think Way To Blue: An Introduction To Nick Drake might be an exception).

Also I prefer his voice to Dylan - it feels like a proper singer's voice, I was even getting memories of Neil Diamond as I listened.

Glad you liked it.

So far I've heard bits of most albums - all are a bit longer than my daily cycle - so will make an effort to listen to one all the way through hopefully at the weekend.
  • The singing style is Dylan-esque but Rodriguez can definitely hold a tune better. The lyrics and song structure owe more of a debt to Dylan than the actual vocals, though they are similar too. It also made me think of Adam Green at times, the serious version of what Adam Green does a tongue in cheek approximation of. I guess its just the folk styles with surreal or abstract lyrics.

Is the documentary worth seeing? I have been meaning to but maybe i really should now.
  • I haven't seen it myself. Others seem to enjoy it and so it's on my radar too.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Not really enjoyed You Am I album Hourly Daily.

Though it reminds me a bit of G. Love and I can imagine it would do well being played in a pool setting whilst I drink Margarita's.
  • I'm liking Sugar Man the best so far. Master Musicians Of Bukkake close second but you have to be in the right mood for them, super slow pace, ideally you need some LSD and valium.
  • Anything close to G.Love space will do me. That's Monday sorted.

I'm fresh out of LSD but might try MMOB tomorrow when I sort out the attic.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So I listened to Sugar Man- mrs reg has just watched the film. I definitely still find the story more interesting than the music itself. The music is totally fine, but it suffers from a bit of samey-ness in that 60s-70s Nick Drake or Donovan way. I definitely agree with the guys that he holds a tune well, but I prefer Dylan's voice just because its more interesting - I like the flawed aspect to Dylan's work - that his songs sound best sang by someone's else, therefore he'll never release a "perfect" album.

Absolutely nothing "wrong" with the album, just a dude and a guitar for most of it. If you do like it, can I please please urge you to see the movie, as it is genuinely fascinating.

3/5
  • Yeah i prefer Dylans voice. He's a vocalist not a singer but there's nothing wrong with that. Oddly singing isn't essential for song.
  • Yeah i prefer Dylans voice. He's a vocalist not a singer but there's nothing wrong with that. Oddly singing isn't essential for song.

Please expand on what you think the difference is.

gave Sugar Man a go over the weekend. Not unpleasant. Have to agree with Reg overall. Have the movie coming in soon.

Gave Cults a quick crack too. First impression is good. I have a lot of time for 50s style pop redressed with some modern production. 10 tracks and 33 minutes is the right length for that sort of thing too. Need to give it another listen to say something more constructive.

• When is my round 2?
    Have been listening but not commenting soz.
  • I think we're just all selecting an album and then listening to them all over a month.

(Correct me if I'm wrong JJ)
  • Ah O.K no worries, in that case add me to the list at the bottom.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Yeah i prefer Dylans voice. He's a vocalist not a singer but there's nothing wrong with that. Oddly singing isn't essential for song.
    Please expand on what you think the difference is.

Someone who has an interesting vocal style that isn't particularly accomplished as a traditional singer.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Agreed. Dylan can't sing.
  • I an really enjoying Good Mornin' so far. Reminds me of all the indie bands I loved in my youth. A bit Teenage Fanclub, a bit BMX Bandits, a bit Bluetones. Great choice Face.
  • Cosby wrote:
    Here's my pick

MI0000249869.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Hot Water Music - Fuel for the Hate Game

Album's up on Spotify.

Started on this this morning. A pair of "vocalists" for sure. ;)

Not a massive fan on the tuning and sound on the guitars, but the playing is good, the separation is great, and the rhythm section are fucking excellent, particularly the bass player.

Sounds like it may be recorded live, and I really like the untouched sound of the drums.

Vocals so far are the only let down, but even they have their moments. Still reckon I'd prefer it either a touch more AOR or a touch more Patton.

• Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Listened to Searching for Sugar Man a couple of times this week and I'm still on the fence about it, but maybe that's partly the album itself. The first two tracks grabbed my attention, Sugar Man particularly is a great opener but I struggled to keep focused at times.

As has been mentioned, the fact that it's a compilation plays a part in this as a few tracks are quite jarring. The strings in Cause and I Think Of You seemed unnecessary and they were two of the weakest tracks. It was like shorthand to try and stir some emotions in you but felt over-produced for me. Having said that, it fitted much better in Sandrevan Lullaby.

I haven't listened to a huge amount of Dylan so can't draw too many comparisons but, save for a few parts where it almost sounds like he's trying to impersonate Dylan (This Is Not A Song), there is something about his voice that draws me in. The more one-man-and-his-guitar sections stand out for me and allow his lyrics to come to the fore with A Most Disgusting Song being one of my favourites.

I'd go back to it but would be more interested in trying out the original albums to see how much difference that makes. I'll also be checking out the film.

3/5

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!