SteamBox aka Steamy Gabecube aka SteamOS
  • If all my Xbox One games suddenly transfer to my PC my Xbox One is going straight up CEX.
  • Also, if MS is serious about xbox to become a real competitor to Steam in Win10; the current xbox Live app won't do as it's a bit shit. They need to bring the whole xbone ui over if they want to compete with Steam Big Picture.
    Still, it's early days and the full win10 offensive has yet to start.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    so basically pc gamers will pay console prices for their games.

^ This. Like when MS were touting all that stuff about not being able to share/sell disc-based Xbox One games, and a small minority were for it because they thought it'd bring down prices. Ha. Right, because Micrsoft love us all so huggy muggy much. Someone may have suggested it at a meeting, but odds on they were chased off a cliff by a ravening horde of share-holders.

The more I think about this Xbox/PC blending, the more I think it's going to backfire for Microsoft. If they put up PC games to match Xbox One prices, that'll just play right into Valve's hands.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Sadly can't argue with that.
    Ive got this nagging feeling MS are going to throw their weight around to get exclusives even if just timed ones.
    For 3 months or 6 months, it could be xbox live gets the big xbox/win10 AAA titles first, Steam/gog 2nd. I can see certain gamers falling for this strategy.
    Coupled with the console prices MS will try and rake in the cash.

Obviously MS is going to have to give gamers a starting point in their Library. I read somewhere they were planning on offering Forza6 as f2p.

I also don't like the closed mod thing. I'm guessing MS wants to regulate that so they can offer as much pay2play dlc as possible for a more console like experience.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ngg my graphics keep coming back perfectly before it announces it's failed and they go shit again.  IT OBVIOUSLY HADN@T FAILED IT WAS LOOKING FINE YOU STUPID OH I GIVE UP.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Sigh.  http://wccftech.com/nvidia-users-beware-latest-drivers-damage-pc/.  Basically it's all still fucked, even a clean install hasn't worked.
  • That is shit muzz.
    Can't you try a rollback to the earlier version that worked?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Maybe, but it's not obvious how, and the version that failed this evening was different from the one that failed this morning so they're obviously working at it, and I've got my ps4, so hopefully it'll all be sorted by the time I actuality next need it!
  • Disable the driver, than update the driver but click the option to look for it yourself, windows should take you to the folder with all the driver versions you have including the older ones. Look at the dates installed and go from there. I had initial issues with my AMD card and I think that's what I did to fix it. Similar happened with my WiFi cards driver.
    SFV - reddave360
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Wahoo - that worked!  Small fonts once more!

I also discovered lots of old exe-wrapped drivers at C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\NetService, but they failed to upgrade (even though they've worked before), which is odd.  Possibly because I'm now W10 not W7??
  • Cool Man - nothing worse than big ass fonts on a pc screen!
    SFV - reddave360
  • After a few weeks in win 10 I can honestly say:
    Win7 + Steam = 100% comp.
    Win10 + Steam =60- 70 % comp.

Some of the games not working correctly in win10 (setup is corei7/nvidia gtm555 2gb, 8gb ram)

Any source game
    Never alone
    Sega all stars racing
    Alan Wake
    Bunch of others

So beware of upgrading to win10 if you're attached to certain games. Dunno if they will get patched by either the dev or nvidia, if ever.

The games that do work correctly in win10 show slight performance improvements and higher fps.
  • Sega all stars works fine for me, think I had to download some file to help with the driver but it works absolutely fine.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Those are games working fine for me although I don't have Never Alone.
  • Must be nvidia not having their shit together then.
    Either that or I still have a clean install to do as I''m still on a Win10 upgrade from Win7.
  • Nevermind, after a clean boot most games seem to work flawlessly in win10.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Not sure why my moaning hit this thread, but it did.  And today, I'm pleased to announce I've successfully upgraded my graphics driver at last, to a new, working version, which supports DX12.  About time too.  

.... I'm obviously totally unclear what benefits this will bring me, if any, but it's the principle of the matter.
  • http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/06/its-time-to-declare-valves-steam-machines-doa/

Ouch, but such an outcome in the short term really was to be expected.
    SteamOS/machines are fighting a losing war on 2 fronts: Consoles on one hand and Windows on the other.
    To expect SteamOS to gain a foothold in the crowded gaming market in just 7 months is ludicrous. That's not to say the project is doomed. Valve just needs to be a bit more tenacious and business savvy about it.

Imho:
    1.Valve needs to realise SteamOS is fighting a war on 2 fronts.
    They've entirely ignored the desktop crowd favoring a more console like distro. Why not do a full fledged distro aimed at htpc/gaming enthusiasts? And I do mean a full fledged distro complete with it's own set of standard apps rivalling, ye know......Windows? They could even follow android's model and do 2 versions of SteamOS: a proprietary full version and a bare stripped down open source one for the foss crowd.
    The goal isn't entirely impossible either as there has yet to be a Linux desktop distro to succesfully compete with windows. Yes I know, taking MS head on on their own turf is extremely intimidating. But Valve's already halfway there trying to break DX12's dominance. Why not go all the way? Who knows, they might even gain a huge userbase of more than just gamers...

2.To promote a new platform you really do need exclusives.  Android would not have succeeded against iOS if google didn't implement it's killer feature so well: google apps. Gmail, play store, search, google now, chrome; they all have deep integration and work seamlessly in Android. SteamOS needs a similar killer feature.

3.Which brings me to my third point. Valve insists on treating all 3 platforms (Win10,OSX,Linux) as equal and won't do exclusive features for SteamOS. Wrong, wrong, wrong Gabe. SteamOS needs exclusive features to stand out from the other platforms otherwise people won't buy into it. Whether these be games (HL3,L4D3,Portal3, TF3, DotA3) or OS specific features, SteamOS needs to stand out from the crowd. You cannot be a competitor to Windows and/or the consoles and be totally platform agnostic. Something has to give.
    Google realised this with Android and used certain gapps as leverage in the early days of Android vs iOS (google maps comes to mind). Without it I doubt their OS would have gained the traction it needed to succeed in the long run.

The big question now is, how long will Valve be able to keep the SteamOS project alive? Sure they make millions of $$ from the windows steam store and Gabe is no doubt willing and able to redirect revenue streams back into SteamOS. But how long can they keep this up really once oems and retail start abandoning them? Valve really needs to rethink their strategy in the long run, otherwise SteamOS will be doa in hindsight.
  • Probably wasn't a good idea to cannibalise their own product with the Steam TV thing. If you've already got a decent desktop there doesn't seem to be any advantage of the Steambox over streaming via wifi to the TV box.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Given that PSOneBox4 are going the Apple route with incremental upgrades and a sliding compatibility window, a Steambox had jumped to the top of my 'consoles to get' list. I think part of the problem is that they've done the typical Valve thing of "release it half done and we'll fix it along the way", not really realising that that's probably not the best move when you're asking people to drop significant amounts of cash on actual hardware.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • It is great that a Steambox can be made by anyone, manufacturer or average Joe. However I think they needed a definitive, PSbone spec one to sit on shelves next to PSbones. Without that it is difficult to see them catching console gamers who just want to buy a box in Tesco and plug it in at home.

Along with the associated marketing of course.

They succeeded in making a "PC that does consoley things" but I dont think they cracked "console that does PC things"
  • Along with the associated marketing of course.
    The lack of advertising makes me think that Valve lost interest in the idea. VR seemed to take their attention and complicate the idea of a Steam Box as a console alternative.
  • Fuck it, Valve needs to flex their dev muscle and should do exclusive games and features for SteamOS in order to succeed. To be frank, they don't even necessarily need the Steam machine initiative for that.

They should just release Half Life3, Portal3, L4D3, DotA3, TF3 and CS2 as (timed) Linux/SteamOS exclusives and sit back and watch the Linux/SteamOS install base grow exponentially as suddenly all Steam pc gamers start to dual boot their machines. Yes, windows gamers will moan and groan but it will give Valve the Linux install base they so desperately need for SteamOS to succeed.

It really isn't that hard Valve. It's a huge huge gamble but the payoff, independance from MS should be more than worth it. The above scenario will of course only work if the planned exclusives are up to snuff.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    They should just release Half Life3, Portal3, L4D3, DotA3, TF3 and CS2 as (timed) Linux/SteamOS exclusives... It really isn't that hard Valve.

Yeah, just create amazing sequels to six of the most beloved franchises of all time. Child's play.
  • A simpler option would be for them to reduce their 'cut' from sales on steamos purchases...Let's say they normally take 30%, drop that to 15% and suddenly every release is cheaper if you buy on steamOS.
    However I reckon they may have made a deal with MS and that's why they're not pushing steam OS so much....initially it was in response to Microsoft intending to wall off all apps and purchases on Windows...if Microsoft have promised not to do that with steam, then valve have less incentive to waste money on steam OS when it doesn't gain them anything.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Nintendo steam nx. Its the only way
    SFV - reddave360
  • @ram: agreed: steamos only ever seemed like a fallback option designed for leverage.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Nintendo steam nx. Its the only way
    That was my suggestion. I still think it would be the best bet for both companies too.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    They should just release Half Life3, Portal3, L4D3, DotA3, TF3 and CS2 as (timed) Linux/SteamOS exclusives... It really isn't that hard Valve.
    Yeah, just create amazing sequels to six of the most beloved franchises of all time. Child's play.

If Valve is truely serious about SteamOS succeeding above games should be top priority and the ace up their sleeve. They are the carrot Valve should be using to gaud the windows Steam userbase to SteamOS. To not use such significant ip in such a manner would be downright idiotic.
    Steammachines are one way of increasing the Linux/SteamOS userbase, encouraging the current windows Steam userbase to dualboot SteamOS is another.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!