adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    In a way I quite like how the Who's Online thing is at the side. Having it rubbed in your face that loads of people are on is quite nice on this budding forum.

Can we have an icon for tabs? The blue tick in a balloon thing is a bit bland.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I'm also all for keeping it simple. Certainly initially. Get it working. Get the basic functionality we need beaten in to shape, and then by all means further down the line we can modify the functionality to incorporate more hi-tech features.

walk, don't run

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    How about a trot then, I always liked a good trot myself.
  • Deviant!
  • What do we do about new blood? It'll be even harder to get here than at the old place.
  • How does RSS work?  I see there's some mention of RSS things on the front page.
  • We pimp it in ways various.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    How does RSS work?  I see there's some mention of RSS things on the front page.

That's only for exporting feeds to other platforms. For example if you have a personal website you can import the feed from here using the RSS directory. 
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm getting a lot less options on the mobile site than the desktop version, but I can't post from the desktop version on my iPod using Atomic Web. No biggie, just noting stuff.

I need to get my laptop out for some profile picture goodness.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Elmlea said:

We pimp it in ways various.

Just checking the quotes out.
  • You can post from Atomic, change the 'identify browser as..' setting to 'mobile safari'.

Also: a preview button
  • There's a way post from Atomic Web. Hold on, I'll find the post.

Safari apparently works perfectly though.

EDIT: Yeah, what Larry said.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Safari works amazingly well. Literally no loading. BUT, all the threads are smashed together without the games/off topic discrimination of the desktop version. A search button would be sweet like chocolate.
    1. Is there a way to subscribe to threads so as to be notified when you've got specific unread posts to read?
    2. Are we interested in karma/positive/feedback etc on posts in the same vein as Reddit/RLLMUK?
    3. Is there an easy way to select where in the thread you start reading from via the main forum page? For example, when I click a thread, it takes me to the last post I read - but maybe I want to start at the beginning? 
  • If you've started the thread you get an automatic notification whenever someone has posted in it. Otherwise you can bookmark them and get the same deal. Although I've not discovered the bookmark option/icon on here yet.
  • It's only worth knowing when your karma is poor. This information tends to be provided already, with some gusto, by the regulars.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Hello.

Couple of instant reactions to be going on with. If we're highlighting every other post in grey then could we also highlight the white ones in some way? At the moment they're kind of lost on the page so it sort of looks like the grey ones are more important.

I think this is because the white ones match the white background. So you could either change the white background (however I quite like that) or change it to be a light grey/slightly darker grey for every other post. That might work, it might not. Try it maybe.

I assume we've got PM functionality, if not put that somewhere near the top of the dev priority list.

I'd also +1 the tapatalk functionality. As well as it formatting the site it should let you respond to posts from within the app rather than fighting with a java editor on the page.

I was confused by the gaming/off-topic appearing in the same list but once I worked out you could filter that's actually a really good solution and I likes it. Makes things seem busier.

If we're thinking of moving to some dedicated server space then Dan from the old place runs www.hihosting.co.uk a couple of us chipping in would buy us a beefy package for a year easily.

Also, huge well done on the efforts thus far. Can't believe how quickly everyone upped sticks.
  • Don't panic mod. A raft of changes will be forthcoming. This has really just grown out of a "proof of concept" that Peter knocked up at the weekend. PM's are already in place.

regards

g.man
  • This place is freaking glorious. 
  • Fucking hell. I pressed Post Comment and it instantly appeared instead of hanging for 20 seconds.
  • Heya Mod. PM functionality is here and it works great. You even got notifications to new messages if you happen to be on the site when it comes in.

As for Tapatalk, I'm not sure if we need it. The mobile site works amazingly well (despite an intermittent rubber banding issue with the latest post system). It's incredibly speedy too.

I also think we have a domain for this place to go to permanently in the near future. If we're all up for staying here then I reckon we'd all be up for donating for the domain payments and any related dev costs.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    g_man said:

Don't panic mod. A raft of changes will be forthcoming. This has really just grown out of a "proof of concept" that Peter knocked up at the weekend. PM's are already in place.

regards

g.man

No no, I'm cool. It's already pissing on the hacked comments section from a great height. I'm just making suggestions, I'd like to think I have an eye for this kinda thing but some of that is personal taste as well. We'll feel our way through.

Holy fuck it's just auto saved a draft for me. I think I'm in love.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Sasukekun said:

As for Tapatalk, I'm not sure if we need it. The mobile site works amazingly well (despite an intermittent rubber banding issue with the latest post system). It's incredibly speedy too.

I've not tried this place yet (tbf the last one worked fineish on my phone anyway but that's by the by).

Likewise I've never used tapatalk in anger but my understanding is it not only formats the site but you actually log in via the app so when you reply you get fat finger friendly buttons for formatting within it. As an individual you buy the app (there are several different flavours, inc one for WP7) and I've seen on some sites "sent from tapatalk" added to the bottom of posts (that might be a free app limitation).

It's not a priority but if the set-up is low effort then it's worth looking in to when time allows.
  • Yeah, I use Tapatalk on my iPhone to browse the one other forum of which I'm a member.

it's very good

g.man
  • I'm genuinely smiling reading this thread from my phone. I'll do a little dance if this posts ok.
  • Another vote for tapatalk here.
  • Sure, go for Tapatalk, but compared to the last place this is an utter fucking dream to use on a mobile.

I just saw the perfectly-resized pic g.man posted in the welcome thread. It's amazing.
  • Let's be honest. We're less than a day into this, and while there will obviously be a honeymoon period, this new place feels much more like our home than the last place ever did.

Huzzah for Peter!

g.man
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Is Tapatalk useful if you only visit one forum?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!