The Whisky thread
  • I drank a lot of bourbon in my late 20s. Got over it though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I occasionally drank whiskey in my 20s. I certainly tried it in my late teens. My first one was a Bushmills blend and that brand remains my favourite.

But I really only seriously drank it once I was in my late 30s - 40s. I knocked booze on the head for several years when the kids came along too when I was in my early 30s.

Whisk(e)y is now by far my favourite tipple. I still love a good pint of Guinness which is a great chaser to a whiskey. But my slowing metabolism means I rarely do that combo in any great volume any more. The price is too high :)

I also minimise my beer consumption now because of the effect it has on my weight.

I went through various phases.  I started on ale (Bass) and dabbled with vodka. Went through a cider phase (Tauntons Dry Blackthorne). Then I went onto Guinness.

I lived in England for a year - 23-24 and Guinness was undrinkable where I was. So I drank Murphy's stout but also availed of a lot of bitters etc. Spirits were rarely touched. The odd whiskey session but not much else.

When I came home Belfast went through a time when the Guinness was awful. I went onto bottled Guinness for a few years. Then I dabbled with lager for a few years. My whiskey consumption continued but really I drank anything at that time - esp when on the lager which is a boring drink. All sorts of stuff - there was Rumplemintz - 100 proof peppermint schnapps that was popular. Vat 19 was a red rum I went through a lengthy phase with. I got heavily into vodka for a short time but stopped it when I drank a bottle of it one night before going out...I decided vodka was too easy to get too good at drinking so knocked that on the  head.

Then Guinness got better and it's a great friend of whiskey. I went through a gin phase in my late 20s.

Always ended up going back to Guinness and Black Bushmills though.

Now I drink a wider range of whiskeys. Like red wine too and dark sherry, port and brandy. Love a Rum and lime with ginger occasionally too. I will also take an ale now as the selection is interesting and I like a cold Stella too from time to time. But in the main I seem to have ended up on the heavier end of the spectrum.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Whisky alcohol percentages equal to your age would solve your problem.
  • Bottled Guinness is my dad's favourite, he's always optimistic a pub will have it but they rarely seem to these days. He moans about the 'extra cold' draught every time he sees it. Beamish used to be my fave stout, haven't seen it here for maybe 20yrs.
  • Beamish with a drop of port in. Mmmmm.
  • davyK wrote:
    I occasionally drank whiskey in my 20s. I certainly tried it in my late teens. My first one was a Bushmills blend and that brand remains my favourite.

But I really only seriously drank it once I was in my late 30s - 40s. I knocked booze on the head for several years when the kids came along too when I was in my early 30s.

Whisk(e)y is now by far my favourite tipple. I still love a good pint of Guinness which is a great chaser to a whiskey. But my slowing metabolism means I rarely do that combo in any great volume any more. The price is too high :)

I also minimise my beer consumption now because of the effect it has on my weight.

I went through various phases.  I started on ale (Bass) and dabbled with vodka. Went through a cider phase (Tauntons Dry Blackthorne). Then I went onto Guinness.

I lived in England for a year - 23-24 and Guinness was undrinkable where I was. So I drank Murphy's stout but also availed of a lot of bitters etc. Spirits were rarely touched. The odd whiskey session but not much else.

When I came home Belfast went through a time when the Guinness was awful. I went onto bottled Guinness for a few years. Then I dabbled with lager for a few years. My whiskey consumption continued but really I drank anything at that time - esp when on the lager which is a boring drink. All sorts of stuff - there was Rumplemintz - 100 proof peppermint schnapps that was popular. Vat 19 was a red rum I went through a lengthy phase with. I got heavily into vodka for a short time but stopped it when I drank a bottle of it one night before going out...I decided vodka was too easy to get too good at drinking so knocked that on the  head.

Then Guinness got better and it's a great friend of whiskey. I went through a gin phase in my late 20s.

Always ended up going back to Guinness and Black Bushmills though.

Now I drink a wider range of whiskeys. Like red wine too and dark sherry, port and brandy. Love a Rum and lime with ginger occasionally too. I will also take an ale now as the selection is interesting and I like a cold Stella too from time to time. But in the main I seem to have ended up on the heavier end of the spectrum.

Loved this trip down Davy's memory lane. Would enjoy a session with you I think. Responsibly, ofc.
  • Can confirm Davy's a good gent to enjoy a few with, great chat.

I only started really enjoying whisky when I turned 30, though it helps to have had an old friend who was really passionate about it having worked in the industry. Actually going to whisky festivals was the eye-opener: did my first one at 27 I think and it was just a great session with pals, but going to a few more after that I began actually appreciating what I was drinking (at least until dram number five or so, after which I would stop caring and just begin throwing anything back).
  • Yeah, I'm the same as you Kaz - only really enjoyed whisky once I hit my thirties. I distinctly remember in mid twenties trying my first ever single malt - unfortunately I chose Laphroaig which is not a great starting point!

Didn't touch it again until I got bought a Glenfarclas gift pack for Xmas when I was about 34 with the 10,12 and 105 in it and I was hooked. I'd also got a bottle of Talisker and Bruichladdich 10 that year so I was well set up. However like you it was my first festival that really got me into it - did an Islay tasting session at it and got spoiled with Kilchoman, Laphroaig, Ardbeg Supernova and some Feis Ile releases from Caol Ila and Lagavulin.

I don't remember getting home.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Bottled Guinness is my dad's favourite, he's always optimistic a pub will have it but they rarely seem to these days. He moans about the 'extra cold' draught every time he sees it. Beamish used to be my fave stout, haven't seen it here for maybe 20yrs.

Extra cold is vile. The big pint bottles with a red heart on the label were the best. The pub I used to drink in regularly kept them on the shelf at room temperature.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Room temp is the way apparently, there was often an extra layer of disappointment even if pubs did serve them.
  • Drinking my secret santa Glen Keith. I should go to bed really but I'm off tomorrow.
  • Got a bottle of JW Black 12yo, which I've never had before - I enjoyed the Double Black so thought of give it a go as it's a chance chalice at Tesco at the moment.

Very nice it is too.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Opened the bottle of Classic Laddie my dad got me for Christmas, smooth as owt, love it. Don't let the shan bottle put you off, this is lovely
  • Opened the bottle of Classic Laddie my dad got me for Christmas, smooth as owt, love it. Don't let the shan bottle put you off, this is lovely

Classic Laddie is lovely - what's your issue with the bottle? I love the design of all of the Bruichladdich stuff - although it's a bit annoying not being able to see how much is left.
  • Port Charlotte 10’s on amazon S&S for £40, pulled the trigger on that.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Opened the bottle of Classic Laddie my dad got me for Christmas, smooth as owt, love it. Don't let the shan bottle put you off, this is lovely

Classic Laddie is lovely - what's your issue with the bottle? I love the design of all of the Bruichladdich stuff - although it's a bit annoying not being able to see how much is left.

It's a garish turquoise monstrosity. Put me in mind of brewdog
  • Ha. Just looked it up and that's exactly what it's like. Sounds tasty though
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Can anyone vouch for Port Askaig 100 proof? Considering a bottle, heard good things. It saved Tony's life for a start (first review): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Port-Askaig-100-Proof-Whiskey/dp/B017XOQHHU/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=port+Askaig&qid=1612940570&sr=8-3
  • I think I tried it and liked it at a festival. Mind you, it's cask strength and Islay so what's not to like?
  • Just taken delivery of a litre of Glenfarclas 105, the king of booze.
  • Just finished pitching creative campaigns to a seriously good whisky brand. Two all-nighters in the bag doing the work for it. One hour on Teams talking it through. Fingers crossed, eh?

On the upside it was a paid pitch, so they’ve been good enough to pay for our time whether we win the contract or not.
  • Teachers?
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Just taken delivery of a litre of Glenfarclas 105, the king of booze.
    Woah! 60%. That's how you know it's good.

Will have to try that next. How does it taste?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    105 is fantastic. It's a nice sweet punch sherry cask. Plenty of fudgy/toffee flavours and aromas with a nice level of spice.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Not actually that into very sweet ones, but I suppose it needs of be sweet at 60%. I'll give it a go.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    A bit of water takes the edge off the sweetness a touch.
  • 105 might be the whisky I'd be buried with. It's so good.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Just taken delivery of a litre of Glenfarclas 105, the king of booze.
    Woah! 60%. That's how you know it's good.

Will have to try that next. How does it taste?

It's amazing, my favourite whisky. I've said it before, but it tastes like I thought whisky would taste before I'd ever tried whisky.

Plus, what Goober said. Best deal for it is here:
    https://www.thewhiskyworld.com/glenfarclas-105-1-litre-p1273
  • It's 45 on masters of malt.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!