The Whisky thread
  • It's bloody lovely (thanks Gremil) but it's not as deliciously dirty as the OG cask strength (thanks Gremil!), which is probably top 5 for me now.
  • Cardenal Mendoza is proper Xmassy, I like.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Bookmarked.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • New bottle delivered today, a birthday present from my mum.

PXL-20230518-165613292.jpg

Pintail blended malt, cask strength, matured in oloroso sherry casks for 10 years. It's pretty nice, not as immediately stunning as the Old Perth but has a lovely chocolatey, coffee, dried fruit flavour - much less oiley and a bit more dry, kind of reminds me of the 105 a bit. Recommended.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • In recent years I've realised I prefer a good blend to a single malt.

I'm tempted to start blending my own.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've always rated good blends alongside malts.  Chivas Regal ,Tullamore Dew, Black Bush , JW Black and JW Blue are all cases in point.

They may not hit the high notes but they are damn enjoyable. Whisk(e)y with ice and a splash of water is now my regular drink. I don't bother with beer now except on certain occasions.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    In recent years I've realised I prefer a good blend to a single malt.

I'm tempted to start blending my own.

Order yourself a bottle of The Victor's Spoils m8
  • So this is a companion post to the saga I've been putting in the holiday thread.  Apologies to those who already know what is going on.

My mate Shaun passed away a few weeks back and I've spent the last few weeks in Australia and doing the holiday in New Zealand that he planned and organised.  It has been sad and fun simultaneously.

I have been slowly going through his belongings with his wife and she has told me to take many things.  This includes his whisky collection.  Over the years he has been a sneaky collector and I took an Ardbeg Galileo and a Bruichladdich Cuvee 407 to NZ for our holiday group to consume.  I now have to make some decisions about which whisky to bring back to the UK.

Here is the list to choose from and any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated:

Ardbeg Corryvreckan
    Arbdeg Airigh Nam Beist
    Starward Twofold Double Grain
    Eilean Mor (Private cask strength 10yr old Bruichladdich - I already have a bottle of this back in the UK).
    The Gospel Solera Rye
    Overeem Port Cask
    Bruichladdich 3D3
    Port Charlotte PC7
    Port Charlotte PC8
    Octomore 12.1

Definitely bringing the Ardbeg Beist and the Laddie 3D3.  Can technically bring 8 litres worth back but weight is the issue so have to keep it reasonable.

edit:  forgot the Octomore, that's also coming back.
  • The Overeem Port Cask tickles my fancy the most from that lot. Only tried the Ardbegs though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I doubt it makes a blind bit of difference with quality like that on parade. :)

It's personal too - anything port related would be for me.
  • As well as those frankly incredible bottles you are taking already, I'd take the Eilean Mor simply because having 2 of them means less guilt for drinking one of them.

That or the PC7/8. I think it's safe to say your mate liked the peat
  • Just bought a bottle of 12yo Glendronach on Amazon. Down from £47.99 to £39.99 and with left over vouchers I only paid £14. Well worth it if you like sherry bomb whisky.
  • Turns out there was a sneaky bottle of Ardbeg Aliigator hiding at the back of his cupboard.  That made it back alongside the Biesty thing, the 3d3, and the Octomore.  Trying to work out which to open first.
  • Pseudoscot wrote:
    Turns out there was a sneaky bottle of Ardbeg Aliigator hiding at the back of his cupboard.  That made it back alongside the Biesty thing, the 3d3, and the Octomore.  Trying to work out which to open first.

I'm jealous, if that's an appropriate feeling given the circumstances of your acquisitions.

Bought myself a bottle of Woods Old Navy Rum (on sale at Morrisons atm) which is a demerera rum that comes in at a hefty 57% abv. I'm never sure if I like this kind of rum, as it tastes so different from most, but it's pretty good neat and with ice. Looking forward to trying it in some cocktails too, which is where it'll shine I think
  • Payday! Which means I've treated myself to a 1l bottle off Glenfarclas 105.
  • Really hard to get at a decent price these days.
  • Lidl’s Ben Bracken 19yo is reduced to £30 in my local. Might be worth checking around. Tempted to go buy another.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Old Perth Cask Strength is down to £42 on MoM at the moment.
  • Ardbeg Wee Beastie is £39 £28 in Sainsbury's.
  • I've not had this before. It's delicious.
  • I’ve just dropped a hundred quid on a bottle. It’s for my Stepmum’s 60th birthday though, so I think it’s allowed.

Edradour 10yr old Bordeaux cask.

Reasoning being that Edradour is her favourite, and she lives near Bordeaux (and used to go to the Bordeaux Wine Festival every year to stock up on red wines).
  • Gremill wrote:
    Old Perth Cask Strength is down to £42 on MoM at the moment.

Alright dudes. Gotta send a big thanks to Grem for introducing me to Old Perth. I picked up the regular and PX cask strengths back in April when I was looking around here for inspiration, and I grabbed another regular cask strength at that price.

Both are really great, although the PX is so rich I've been taking it very slowly and still have half a bottle. Not that I'm complaining, mind. I still have half a bottle!
  • Agree, I only finished the PX last week, whereas the OP OP lasted about three days iirc. Both nice but the cask strength is one of the absolute best.
  • New bottle time:

PXL-20230908-134537635.jpg

8 year old blended Scotch (not even a blended malt: 80% grain and 20% malt) aged in hogshead casks and bottled at 57.3%. Will give it a go later and see if it's any cop.
  • So, this dram is really really nice. It tastes nothing like a malt (as you'd expect) but has a lot of the kind of flavour and texture of an Irish whiskey that's fucked a bourbon and is disputing the parentage of the results. It reminds me a bit of Jameson's ( but heavier) or Teeling with a wee bit of Jim Beam double black. The strength it's bottled at doesn't come through in the tasting - it's really quite light and doesn't have a lot of the up front burning alcohol that non-malt cask strength often has. At £30 it's a banger.
  • I really should try more blended whisky, both Scotch and Irish, but I usually default to what I know I'm gonna like. Speaking of, had a Laphroaig 10 Sherry Oak Finish arrive this week and man, this stuff is lovely. 

In other news, the Octomore 14 series drops on Monday! The price has always been a barrier 'til now but I am so tempted this time around. £135 for the 14.1 and I feel ill just thinking about it, but then I'll drop the same amount in a random month on an Uigeadail and a Lagavulin 16, so... Fuck it. Right? 

But no I shouldn't. Big bills this month and I've already bought a couple of other bottles, plus I have a fairly health stash.

Except, maybe?
  • As much as I love Octomore and that kind of whisky, I don't think I could justify paying that much for a bottle. I'd rather buy 3 or 4 other bottles of stuff that looks interesting.
  • Aye, that's how I've always looked at it as well. I'll have a think on it, but that price really is a lot for a single bottle. And that's by far the cheapest of the three.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Last time I bought lagavulin 16 it was about £65. Is it really closer to £135 now?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!