What is your favourite rpg or jrpg
  • Hmm. Not sure. Prefer the more structured battle systems in JRPGs. Can complain about a lot of Squeenix stuff but ATB, CTB and Gambit are all brilliant systems, even the system in XIII had a lot of promise in the end.

Also they do a lot of 'post-game' stuff which is usually amazing in terms of longevity (although often requires a bit of grinding). And to boot, Squeenix have rarely ever let me down in critter design, some of the stuff in X, XII and XIII was absolutely jaw dropping, they really came into their own with designs around the PS2 era.

That said, the stories are always absolute nonsense (though I have a soft spot for them) characters are rarely ever interesting and I miss all the 'olde worlde' stuff in most Western RPGs.

So to cut a long post short, they both fulfill totally different needs, but I've yet to play a WRPG with a combat system as novel and as deep as most of the FF output.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    JRPGs are also mostly shit compared to their western developed counterparts.

I think I've only played 2 Western RPGs to completion. Dungeon Siege 3 and Mass Effect 2. I'm really struggling with Mass Effect 3.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    @RedEye

Both previous play throughs I did about 80% of the quests.
    Get schwifty.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    RPGs are mostly shit
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    fucksake
    Get schwifty.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    JRPGs are also mostly shit compared to their western developed counterparts.

Really? I can't comment much as I've not played many, mostly because they do not look appealing at all. The ones I have played haven't actually been that good. Mass Effect, Dragon's Origins, Fable, Oblivion (which was terrible). Only KotOR was enjoyable, but that might have more to do with me being a Star Wars fan.

I have yet to play Planescape Torment and Baldur's Gate (2) though.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Don't even know how there's an argument for Zelda being an RPG, it's the pinnacle of adventure games.

I liked FFXII apart from two fairly major points, Vaan was an utter vacuum and the finale makes even less sense than most FF climaxes.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    fucksake

What? Its one post, chill.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    Don't even know how there's an argument for Zelda being an RPG, it's the pinnacle of adventure games.

I liked FFXII apart from two fairly major points, Vaan was an utter vacuum and the finale makes even less sense than most FF climaxes.

Look the crystal broke when the main characters did the trench run on the giant tower shaped death star but they had to land on it for a reason for a fight with Judge Darth Vader and then the Empreror fell into the broken crystal and then in the end he came back except with a big metal arm and wings which is proven to be the normal reaction to falling into a giant crystal and then you beat him THE END except no you have to beat all the marks including yiazmat who is harder than anything in the game but far too chill to stop the badman from taking over the world too bad you have to fight instead of just blaze with him that would be chillrad.

• ME2 was probably the closest I've come to a WRPG. Most of the time they just don't grab me.

I'm not sure I can be arsed with a big JRPG so much nowadays either, unless it's really special. Playing on a handheld helps, which is why DQIX became such a focus of mine for a good while. Years ago FFVII was the pinnacle, but I could list a whole load more that I put far too much time into.

Mostly I'd more likely go for an SRPG, like Fire Emblem, or an ARPG, like Dark Souls, these days.

(have I covered all the initialisations?)
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    IMO there are a decent amount of JRPGs these days that are fairly progressive and don't go for the now-frustrating totally-random battles/rehashed turn-based battles stuff, but they're often let down by their scenarios. Western RPGs are fairly diverse with sci-fi games like Mass Effect and post-apocalyptic games like Fallout, but with JRPGs it's often the same not-quite-Tolkienesque fantasy world with not much going on. I enjoyed Tales of Graces f but it was kind of uncomfortable how similar its plot was with the old Final Fantasy NES games, and those are getting on 25 years old now.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Breath of fire 4 and skies of arcadia, only because I finished them.. But both amazing.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Don't forget there's a hotly rumoured Skies of Arcadia HD remake on the go.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • oooooh :D
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I hope that's true! (if they could tone down the amount of random battles a bit, that'd be spiffing)
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I never had a problem with the DC random battles. It was even courteous enough to give you a loud disc reading burp before each and every one.

I thought they lowered the rate in Legends. Probably be the same for a HD remake.
  • Either way, it'll be getting bought.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    To those who've played Panzer Dragoon Saga: Just how good is it? I've been cursed by only having played the first disc as it was given away for free as a demo back in the day with the official Saturn mag. Now it's uber expensive and I want to know if it's still worth desiring the damn thing so much. I must have beaten that first fight against Azel dozens of times.
  • It got better and better as it went on. The environments were a joy to visit and the dragoon fights were epic.

The level, very close to the end, in some tunnels was a bit repetitive though.

It's one of my all-time favourite games.
  • Whether it's worth the prices asked on eBay, is impossible to say.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    They've shot up to nearly £200 for a pal copy. I'll have to make do and hope they discover a locked container somewhere full of them or Sega finds that missing source code for it.
  • I consider myself very fortunate to have got it at launch.

Actually, my fourth disc was faulty and I took it back and was given a replacement game.

I wasn't so lucky with Shining Force 3 though, never saw it for sale and keep being beaten to it on eBay.
  • £200?!!! I got mine in near mint condition for £80 a few years back. I got lucky. Most copies were going for around £120.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • The Disgaea series doesn't seem to get much love around these parts. That's a shame because they're wonderfully complex and involving. The amount of control you have over your party (in terms of stats)   completely overshadows any other RPG I've played. I guess the 'zany' plots/characters can get wearing. 
    Skies of Arcadia, FFVII, ME2: also good. Although ME2 felt more like Assassin's Creed (in terms of building your ship and collecting your crew) than a traditional Western RPG.
  • Shining Force series - also excellent. Which was the one with the frog in it? And Phantasy Star Online - for atmospheres, location, and comradeship.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I got Dragon Quest IX for Christmas. High hopes for this little fella.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Its lookin' a bleak 2013 for Western RPGs.  Fallout 4 might get an announcement, that's the best we can hope for. Certainly can't think of any new IPs on the horizon :(

Edit -   @ Blue Swirl  - it's awesome!
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Choke wrote:
    The Disgaea series doesn't seem to get much love around these parts. That's a shame because they're wonderfully complex and involving. The amount of control you have over your party (in terms of stats)   completely overshadows any other RPG I've played. I guess the 'zany' plots/characters can get wearing.
    I played it shitloads on DS, but haven't been able to get any of the sequels. Once you're on a second or third play through the story doesn't matter anyway, and it's good fun the first time. I think my save was over 200 hours and I could have gone on.

It's one of a whole load of Strategy RPGs over the years that have often been more involving than the normal style JRPG. The Shining Force games on MD were great at the time (but a bit dated now), FF Tactics of course, Vandal Hearts, Tactics Ogre on GBA, and the Fire Emblems. It's probably my preferred genre for handheld gaming.
  • The obscene level of control you have over your stats is the exact reason why I never ended up clicking with Disgaea or Phantom Brave. Too indepth for my tiny mind.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!