Favourite sections/levels/tracks/whatever
  • Yes, but GIANT MECHANICAL CITY vs a wet cave
  • Tempy you were talking about music sticking in your head. I don't know anyone who can recite any music back to me from sonic two but I know about two hundred people who know the smb1 classic mario theme.

I don't see the london philharmonic orchestra covering sonic 2.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • That's cool, I can do it, and can remember like three Mario things, hooray for people being different?
  • You are a musical master!
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

I can recall the music of the first Sonic Level and the little intro jingle - most gamers would probably manage that I guess.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yeah, it's a totally personal thing. I remember more Sonic themes than Mario because I like them more, that's all. Mario is clearly more iconic, but that wasn't the question or claim!
  • Sonic has good music? Iight check it out. 

Shame about the games.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yes, Sonic 2, FO LIFE.
  • The Mega Drive Sonic games are excellent.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • I doesn't matter very much but I also remember Sonic's music much better than I do Mario's, although I still remember plenty of Mario tunes. Like Tempy I preferred Sonic to Mario in my youth - I still prefer 'classic' Sonic actually, although I've come to accept Mario games are pretty damn good. I've always found Sonic more immediate and less fiddly than Mario and frankly the ease with which I could play Sonic as a kid made it more accessible than Mario, which is far tougher.

Mario 3Dland was still one of the highlights of the last few years of gaming for me, which surprised me really as usually I find 2D Mario's a bit boring.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    In this Mario / Sonic thing (I'm not calling it an argument), only Yoshi's Island comes close to rivalling the first two Sonic games for the setting (think of that as overall art direction, if you will).

But both games are doing very different things.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Dunno why, but whenever I try to play the original Sonic 1 MD game, I find it tremendously rubbish and boring. Is it me or has it just not aged well? Last time I tried was last year I think.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    You have a good point, tbh... Back in the day when it first dropped, there was absolutely nothing like it, and it was such a strong spectacle back then, that pure nostalgia can be enough to carry a thorough replay session.

But, the game still provides an adequate high score challenge (should you want one), and it still (arguably) looks and sounds great. Yoshi Island though, will always be my favourite 2D platform game. Mario 3 takes a close second, with Sonic 1 taking 3rd place on the strength of the art alone.

Don't know how others see it, but 'meh'...
  • You're biased, Nintyendo boi. The first is pretty slow really. 2/3&K are what it's all about really, nailed a consistent look for 2andakindahalf games. Linear compared to Mario, but the setting carried it all off, it always looked more interesting than Mazza, which was important to a kid.
  • mk64 wrote:
    Tempy you were talking about music sticking in your head. I don't know anyone who can recite any music back to me from sonic two but I know about two hundred people who know the smb1 classic mario theme.

WTF is this whole argument?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    Tempy you were talking about music sticking in your head. I don't know anyone who can recite any music back to me from sonic two but I know about two hundred people who know the smb1 classic mario theme.

Of course they know the SMB1 theme because it turns up everywhere thanks to it being the go to piece of music that geeks choose to cover when they've stumbled across a new way of creating a melody via smashing slightly different sized particles together or showing snails different pictures and slowing down the responses. I've never even played SMB, yet I can recite the theme. Sonic themes don't get nearly the same love, so one person who can recite a Sonic 2 theme from memory is probably worth a couple of hundred who can recite a theme that they've more than likely heard in some shape or form in the past year.
  • That and the Imperial March.
  • Basically I am a beautiful flower, thanks Yoss!
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    The first is pretty slow really. 2/3&K are what it's all about really...

It is, but the Scrap Yard and Starlight Zones...  Who the fuck came up with those ideas, eh?
    In fact, everything added to the franchise since then, for the most part, had/has been a fashionable move on, or a wholesale rip-off.

But I can't say that the game has not been improved on since the first (I've seen no rush to rehash the Marble Zone*, for example... But the music for that stage was also brilliant).

*Which strangely, reminds me of the first level of Altered Beast... I wonder if there's a story in that...
  • Tempy wrote:
    it always looked more interesting than Mazza, which was important to a kid.

Never got to play it as a kid, I was bought a SNES for birthday, it very nearly was an MD (in hindsight, I'm so happy it was the SNES). Maybe when I was a kid/teenager, I would've liked Sonic, but it seems so rubbish now, while the likes of SMW still play brilliantly. 

And I'm a Zelda fanboy, not Nintendo in general. Sheesh, gettitrightwhydontcha.
  • Just watched some YouTube videos with the Sonic music. Maybe I really have been playing them wrong. I'ma try then again soon. At some point.

Damn MD sound is horrible though.

• This is a fantastic tune, but Nintendo are kings of memorable music.

• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    So The Nexus...

Yes... Where the fuck can I buy one from!!?

I'll get my coat... : P

• Wasn't the Sonic music rumoured to be written by Michael Jackson?

I can't imagine why anyone would want to listen to Mario music performed by an Orchestra.
  • Wasn't the Sonic music rumoured to be written by Michael Jackson?

I can't imagine why anyone would want to listen to Mario music performed by an Orchestra.

He wrote some music for Sonic 3.

It's supposed to have not been used, because the allegations about his private life surfaced about the same time.

I'd also heard that his music is still in the game.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    No idea about that, but special mention should be made of the Streets of Rage music, and 2 in particular. Quality stuff inspired by the music production team being flown to London to go clubbing and take notes.

And the games were great too. I think I'd take SoR4 over Shenmue III.
  • mk64 wrote:

Ahem....http://www.tssznews.com/2012/10/25/the-london-philharmonic-orchestra-performs-a-sonic-suite/
  • I have the SoR2 soundtrack on my iPhone. One of the all time greatest.
  • I can't imagine why anyone would want to listen to Mario music performed by an Orchestra.

Because it sounds great. Not as great as the likes of Castlevania or SotC, though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!