First System
  • Keep meaning to replay Codename: Droid. Is like a Teutonic Metroid.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    My first love was the Sega Master System, I think my first game was called Astro Warrior or something, it was a vertical scrolling shooter.

I was exposed to the wonders of the Spectrum by my cousin years earlier though.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    First system was an Acorn Electron. Never heard of it? No, most people haven't, but you all probably have a descendent of my first computer in your pocket right now as Acorn morphed into ARM. Take that Spectrum/Commodore/Amstrad owners.

Games included PAC-Man, Frogger, some Doctor Who game and the cream of the crop: Defender.

How did I feel about it? Well, I'm an active member of a video games forum nearly 3 decades later so I must have been quite taken with it.
  • Consoles as in console-only-for-teh-gamez-consoles wise I didn't pick up a thing 'til the Gameboy, in 1990. Was moving about a bit at the time, TV-boxes just seemed an encumbrance.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    C=First was an Atari but too young to remember anything but some Cookie Monster Pac Man rip off. Then a Commodore 64 with a snooker game I played for hours.

First 'love' was a Mega Drive.
  • Having a brother that is 5 years older meant I was exposed to games pretty early on. Think our first system was an Atari, probably the 2600. It was great! Then it was SNES, Megadrive, Amiga etc.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Skondo wrote:
    Atari 2600. Similar to the image posted by Oli, but it had the independent difficulty switches. I have very fond memeories of the machine, but really wouldn't want to go back and play anything now. Never had that many games for it, but my most played was probably Kaboom!, Combat or Skiing. I remember playing River Raid, Frogger, Adventure, Empire Strikes Back, Pole Position and Pac Man, but many of these games were borrowed. I thought Pac Man was great at the time.

I eventually sold it and put the money towards a Spectrum Plus. My first game for this was Knight Lore.

Same. Kaboom was fucking brilliant. Combat was initially my most played. Pac Man was arse, Mouse Trap however was ok.

I also upgraded to a Speccy though it was the rubber key variety which I killed quite quickly by pulling the fucking joystick adapter (Kempston?) out of the back whilst it was switched on. First game I played was Chequered Flag which was crap.

@Pablo I've still got a BBC Micro set up in my loft somewhere.

Edit: I may actually of had a Vic 20 before the Speccy thinking about it. Fave game was Rockman by Mastertronic.

• @nana

I'm coming round to relive the glory days. (And sneak a go on your Egret)
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Commodore vic20 and a book to programme a pong game.

SYNTAX ERROR!
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The black and white version of this out of Kays catalogue.....got this colour version a while back in a fit of nostalgia. The Adman Grandstand MkII

DedicatedPongAdman.jpg

Got a 2600 after that. I was pretty good at avoiding the crap games - at £30 a pop you had to be - the only game that was a disappointment was Defender - a poor port that flickered like buggery. I played it quite a bit though.

Favourites included Kaboom, Asteroids, Yars Revenge, Megamania, Super Breakout and Warlords.

I sold it and put the money toward an Oric-1. I know.

Have since rebought one but I'll never get those boxed games back....have managed to get a few though - and I've also got a Harmony cart that lets me play whatever I want.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Amstrad CPC 464 and the Famous Five game was the best "slap uncle Quentin"
  • Master System for me too.  Alex Kidd built in, and a few £9.99/£12.99 games to be getting on with (Teddy Boy, The Ninja & Action Fighter).  I can't remember liking anything that much since.  By the time I sold it for £50 to fund Megadrive games, I'd probably amassed 20ish games, the best being Psycho Fox, Wonderboy in Monsterland, Castle of Illusion, The Ninja and Asterix. 

Stupid purchases?  I was given £100 as a ten year old after a family bereavement.  I spent it in one go on Ghouls 'n Ghosts, The Terminator and Champions of Europe.  Aside from the brilliant MS conversion of G'n'G, I probably could've spent that cash a little more wisely in hindsight.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    That would have bought 10 Apple shares in 1990 which this summer would have been worth £7,000

Chin up!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Watched a Simpsons the Other day from late 90s where Bart incredulously asks "what's Apple?!?"

That joke has aged.

Badly.
  • My first system was a Gamecube, even though I hate to admit it. My parents simply refused to buy me a console because they knew I'd get hooked. We owned a stationery shop at the time and they had this Sonic cabinet which all the locals used to come over to ogle at while I played it. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I had to wait till my first wages came in when I was 16.  To think of all the tables I waited on just to get my hands on that Gamecube (+ Windwaker) while I should have been getting myself laid makes me weep. 

Fondest memory: Probably playing Super Mario Sunshine. My mate and I had this pass the pad setup and it worked pretty well. He'd been working in a pastry shop for a few years and for some reason this icing-sugary smell hung around him wherever he went. Complimented the game's visuals nicely.
    3DS friend code: 2809-8024-1882
    AC: New Leaf: James (Ardis) 
    Wii U: BennyProfane
    Switch: SW-4893-5168-5693
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    You people are despicably old.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • First system I used was a big Unix box with a green/black screen, which I played snake on, closely followed by a multi-game Pong clone (a different version of the one davyK posted, no gun). First system which I personally had was an Amstrad-made 8086 PC. Here's a selection of games I played on it:

Mach3 (digitised sound, OMG!), Startquake, Space Quest, Police Quest, Leisure Suit Larry (as a pre-teen, don't ask me), Galactix (the adventure, not the shooter)...
  • Christmas '97 saw Santa generously gift my brother and I with an N64, 2 pads, and copies of Wave Race and Diddy Kong Racing. We never looked back. Ended up with a games collection 40-deep, which is a fine testament to my parents' kindness considering how much cartridges went for back then. I was gutted when the machine finally gave up the ghost a couple of years ago, but its replacement is still ticking along nicely. Would be my favourite system ever were it not for that pesky Gamecube. Er, and the Dreamcast. Oh, yeah the PS2 was pretty good too. Hmm...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    pabloamigo wrote:
    ... summat with a dood on a motorbike jumping over stuff as you scrolled left to right ...

Dare Devil Dennish?

BBC was mine first too, with that, Snapper, Hopper, Frak, Codename : Droid etc.
    First games-thing was the gameboy
    First proper console was a SNES

Still got them all somewhere, in varying state of usability...
  • Actually, if Pong counts, we had a battery powered machine with interchangable carts first.  Sports and racing.  You could change the colour of the background.  Then came the LCD games, then the Master System.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    You people are despicably old.

That's what I was thinking. The first system I ever had was a Sega GameGear. The first I bought myself was an Nintendo64. I blew everything I'd earned from my paper round on the £99 one with GoldenEye. My Mum was not happy.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Mod74 wrote:
    That would have bought 10 Apple shares in 1990 which this summer would have been worth £7,000 Chin up!

gump-apple.jpg
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    pabloamigo wrote:
    ... summat with a dood on a motorbike jumping over stuff as you scrolled left to right ...
    Dare Devil Dennis

That's the fellow.
  • I remember that. Very popular on the school BBCs, along with Granny's Garden.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    My first computer computer was an Acorn 3000 and I emulated the BBC Micro on it and laughed, laughed at how primitive your childhoods were.

I may have entered the workforce at a time of economic ruin and have no future, but I had Flare, you cunts.
  • I used to play games that used text for sprites and scenery, what of it?

wb83x.png
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    My first computer computer was an Acorn 3000 and I emulated the BBC Micro on it and laughed, laughed at how primitive your childhoods were. I may have entered the workforce at a time of economic ruin and have no future, but I had Flare, you cunts.

You weren't around when the arcade was king. You have my pity young 'un. Nothing will ever replace the experience of a full-on arcade in the early-to-mid 80's. I miss it terribly.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Even if I'd been born in time for the in the early-to-mid 80s I still wouldn't have been around when the arcade was king because I live in a poxy little shithole with nothing of interest.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Even if I'd been born in time for the in the early-to-mid 80s I still wouldn't have been around when the arcade was king because I live in a poxy little shithole with nothing of interest.

That's a prime spot for an arcade, that is. Why do you think they still survive in British seaside towns?
  • dat aftaburna cab. how my heart skipped a beat the first time I saw it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!