Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm not sure what I meant, I just woke up.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Anyway, I get sick of musicians whinging about only getting 5 million instead of 15 million. I've bought plenty of albums that turned out to be two singles and a bunch of filler. Where's my refund?
  • I think we can all agree with that.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    But then if we want our musicians to be really rock n roll and not fake then they have to spend at least 4.5million on drugs, prostitutes, smashing up hotels, paying off loads of child maintenance for sleeping around and getting people pregnant. It can be a costly business.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    I think we can all agree with that.

Seconded.

Not that I agree with piracy copying without permission, mind you. But I don't think the current model works particularly well, either (a few musicians earn millions, the rest do it at a massive loss if they're lucky). Remember, when someone says piracy copying without permission is killing the music industry, the key word is industry.

It's nice that Spotify are coughing up, though.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You bought an album in the past and half it was shit (and I imagine the same today), but that's not considered a rip off - you pay your money and you take your chances. Now they're making less money because people are listening to the tracks they like and ignoring the faff. so yeah, musicians are only making a percentage of the money as before. Seems fair to me.
  • My issue is that the money gained through streaming services is ill distributed. More should go to the artists (writers, composers, producers, performers) and less to the spotify shareholders (venture capitalists and *gasp* music industry companies). 

The system is rigged: you cannot set up a simple music streaming service without access to the music, and you can't get access to the music without a multi-million dollar minimum licensing fee up front, non-refundable.

It's not about defending Taylor Swift's millions, it's about the money for creating something going mostly to the creators. It's also not about saying the facilitators / distributors / investors should get nothing either, just not so much.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    so yeah, musicians are only making a percentage of the money as before. Seems fair to me.
    Funkstain wrote:
    My issue is that the money gained through streaming services is ill distributed. More should go to the artists

Both of these statements are all kinds of true. More of what money is available to the actual creator, thanks, but I'm not going to cry myself to sleep over a reduction in what Ms. Swift et al. get in tracks streamed over CDs sold.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Should we be able to get it as cheap as we do? History shows people willing to pay more than they're now paying. I suspect we'd still be willing to pay more were that the only option. So it feels like the overall music market has fucked itself and hence the artists in particular due to theses new means of selling (and competition between packages thetein).

Progress, eh?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    A lot of the problem seems to be labels taking the lion's share, as they always have. Streaming services such as Spotify are taking their cut too now, logically. Again, the reasonable consequence is that musicians will get less money out of the deal.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The progress is that Spotify et al have managed to make people pay for music again after a huge period of rampant piracy. Nobody's going back to the time of extortionate cd prices thank you very much. Musicians should be thanking streaming instead of pining for the long gone days of golden rolls royces.
  • I see it going the way of Netflix (if it hasn't already) with Spotify essentially becoming a label in itself and producing their own content.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    That sounds terrible.
  • Yep.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Kow wrote:
    You bought an album in the past and half it was shit (and I imagine the same today), but that's not considered a rip off - you pay your money and you take your chances. Now they're making less money because people are listening to the tracks they like and ignoring the faff. so yeah, musicians are only making a percentage of the money as before. Seems fair to me.

What about if four shit tracks subsidised the creation of four excellent tracks? Like the cost of four good tracks was ten pounds but people wouldn't buy a four song cd so they had to beef up the listing?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Fuck em.
  • When was this time of extortionate CD prices? I don't remember then ever going above, maybe, £15.

What we really need is for artists to start publishing directly to the services, like we're getting with Steam. I have to deal with middle men that do nothing, but cream a stupid amount off the top, in my work; they really need to be expunged from all industries. I understand labels giving advances to artists fit work yet to come is a useful mechanism, but it can exist without an the shit that's currently around it, as we see to an extent with crowd funding.
  • I don't understand. you enjoy listening to music and either you have the ability to generate the feelings through song or you pay someone else?

Pretty churlish.
  • The worst thing about Spotify is that it'll create the soundtracks of lives based on who's willing to stump up a bribe Imo.
  • I take kow's point about single generated shit albums, but I'm talking about smaller groups, what once was actual indie music. It's all or nothing. These services should be able to at least get a genuinely locally popular or mid tier group some cash to at least live a little.

And when I say artists, yes I include producers, writers, session musos, etc. Anyone who's not a suit.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    20 euros for a CD was/is extortionate. We paid it because there was no choice but it wasn't a fair price.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Plus spotify doesn't even allow you to own the music. Stop paying the sub and no more music. It's more like radio. Spotify can keep paying over and over, even it's small amounts. You buy a cd and that's your contribution done.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    This is all very obvious.
  • Kow wrote:
    20 euros for a CD was/is extortionate. We paid it because there was no choice but it wasn't a fair price.

A little more than strictly necessary, maybe, but far from extortionate. That's, what, four pints, maybe five?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It was nearly 20 quid for a CD 20 years ago. Whatever their value then, it doesn't hold up now.
  • Fair enough, I'm not going to try and convince you on something subjective.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    AJ keeps saying my thoughts. Spooky.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Just tried the Spotify Discover Weekly playlist for the first time. Really impressed. Not sure how they can get it so right when others either get it wrong or don't even try.
  • I'd say it's because they own Echo Nest and, possibly because you've been using Spotify more than the others.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!