theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I'm sure this won't have escaped most people's attention but Xbox Music busts out on to iOS and Android

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/09/microsoft_brings_xbox_music_to_android_and_ios/
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Is Xbox music any good, considering I have android phone and tablet?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I'm presuming it gives you access to a massive library with which you can create your own and allows you to download music to your device whilst allowing you to backup your library online, isn't it a fiver?

I've not looked into it beyond knowing it's out there but for a fiver I'm intrigued.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Just wondering if it is available on android devices. I use deezer at the moment which is good but not great (but pro version free for me so not going to complain).
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I think I am paying 8quid a month for google music so anything that can match it for less gets my money.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    What mobile contract are you on? I get deezer free with my orange contract and it does the job.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    A 12 quid a month giffgaff sim. 

I'm not sure about Deezer's features or it's library.

Moar tu luk intu...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Not worth the switch if you're on a £12 sim, probably.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    No one's matched unlimited internet; I don't care for many minutes and get unlimited texts too- I keep trying to engineer a contract to match so I can say "yes" after they agree to throw in hardware (TV, 360 heck a fridge freezer) for a two year lock in. But don't think I'll ever get near that.

Still though- worth trying to save a buck or two on music subs et al..
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Xbox Music costs £8.99 pm and you get unlimited streaming to any device. You can download tracks to PC and if you own a Windows Phone you can copy the files to that for offline playback. afaik the iOS and Android versions only have online playback (streaming).

On the face of it Spotify premium looks like a better choice if you're iOS Android, but I've never used it in anger so don't know what that's like to live with. Xbox Music works great on PC/Xbox and if you have a WP. I much prefer to fire up that stream on PC than YouTube or the horrendous Spotify interface.

I think it's Nokia music that comes in at £5.99 but I'm not sure what that buys you.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Oh well, it's early days in it's life and isn't for me- yet. Spotify is more expensive though* and I can't push my library online*, which is essential for me.

Spotify is boss for collab playlists though but you have to put up with ads as its not worth paying for for such alone.

*or couldn't when I looked.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Is Xbox Music free or something at the moment? I just signed in on my Mac to see if I could pay for a sub with my NZ account (my XBL account is currently linked to my UK bank account) and I appear to be able to play music at will.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    With ads, like spotify; yes.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Hmm. I wonder how obtrusive the ads are. Still an awesome service, best thing Microsoft have done since the 360. May just fork out for a sub if I can figure out how to cheaply get some money into my UK account. (Sadly I can't add an NZ credit card to a UK based XBL account.)
  • Can you stream it from a mobile?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Think you need to pay- it's only desktop like spotify/last fm.
  • Oh well, I'll just stick with Last.fm and my MP3s (in Google Play) then.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Last.fm is the best free service.

Especially if you scrobble.

When you don't have you music with you you can just play your own radio station, which always pulls up some gems you haven't heard for ages.

In fact I might hit that up as it'll help with picking my final track for the curated series.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Can you stream it from a mobile?

Desktop is free apparently, but yeah, for mobile or 360 playback you need a paid account. I reckon Xbox Music is the best online music service I've used. I was a big fan of last.fm for a while but I recently closed my account. Random choons, even when free, wasn't satisfying the itch. It's nice to be able to pick and choose.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Oh, I didn't mean last.fm was great for what new you want. It's great for playing your library once you've scrobbled a lot.
  • New rdio update appears to be making it run like shite on win 8 and newer macs. Very annoying.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Finally stumped up the cash for a month's sub to Xbox Music. Little bit miffed to find that if I pause a track and then press play again, it always skips to the next song. Hoping that gets fixed soon, but other wise it feels like money well spent.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Weird. Is that in the Windows app or the phone?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    This is via the website in Chrome.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Heh. Can't help you there sorry.

Any reason you're using the website? Because you're on Mac?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Aye, Mac. (Plus, for some arcane reason, installing Flash always fails on the uni network so I can't use Firefox.)

I also have the app on my Android tablet, but haven't had the chance to try it out yet.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Spotify has removed play time limits for free (ad supported) users.

Also, there's another service jumping in to join Last.fm, Spotify, Pandora, Xbox Music, iTunes and Google Play, in the form of Beats Music (formerly known as Daisy). I wonder, as both Trent Reznor and Dr. Dre are involved in the service, if it'll give a better deal to the artists. But then I see Jimmy Iovine is involved as well, so probably not.

I can't see how the market can support that many different options. Time to cull the herd? Anyone interested in Beats Music? I'm guessing a few will jump in, but it's harder to show off a subscription than it is huge over-priced headphones, so maybe the brand won't help that much (especially as older players like Spotify are dropping listening limits for free users). I'm quite happy with my Xbox Music subscription, and I don't even have an Xbox at the moment.

EDIT: Having had a look at the Beats Music website, the UI looks pretty good, if heavily inspired by Microsoft's 'ubiquitous whether it's a good idea (Win Phone) or not (desktop)' Metro interface. Plus, the family pack is only available to AT&T customers, which probably means Beats Music will only be available in the US anyway.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'll stick to xbox music.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!