Society's Ills - A study in the perceived inequalities between the "haves" and the "have nots"
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Government minister quits because he can't pay his mortgage on his £118,000 salary. Assuming no other income that's a monthly take home salary of £6000+.

His mortgage has gone from £800 to £2,000. What does he think the rest of us mere mortals have been dealing with?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-68133873

I presume he can also claim MP's expenses etc.

Yeah I enjoyed that yesterday. I think the difficulty likely comes from sending children to Eton or some such.
  • He can’t pay a 2 grand mortgage on 6k a month?
  • MP can't manage a £2k mortgage on £6k a month and yet these are people we are allowing to make decisions that impact the whole country?

What the actual fuck.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Mortgages, Eton, University tuitions. it all adds up.
    Only the best for you and your spawn to attempt to rise up to the 1%.

Meanwhile he's no doubt accepting a better paying job at some fancy firm who was very pleased with his handywork in the government. Because, lobbying....
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    He needs to pull himself up by his boot straps, cut down on the Starbucks and sack off the avocado on toast an his Netflix subscription.
  • "I wasn't expecting to be hoisted by MY OWN petard"
  • So hard done by that he will stand at the next election.
    At least he is realistic in recognising he will probably lose.

Of course he is more than welcome to fuck off right now. Thank you for your great sacrifice you absolute martyr.
  • This is our culture though, isn’t it? Most people nowadays do max out their income vs expenditure. Spending expands to use up all of your income. Or nearly all of it, anyway. You get as big a mortgage as you can, you buy the fanciest car you can afford, and so on. You set your monthly budget and you go for it, feeling comfortable and secure. And then prices go up and things get tight. 

I’ll scoff at this guy as much as anyone else, because FFS, on that sort of money he should be laughing. But I can also understand that he’s just had a nasty reality check and isn’t handling it well.
  • I think the big difference is that most of us aren't part of the group that make the decisions that lead to 150% mortgage increases.
    And if we were and recognised the problem would probably be too ashamed to go outside let alone carry on in that role.
  • I think you'll find it's the fault of the poors for asking for more money.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    I think the big difference is that most of us aren't part of the group that make the decisions that lead to 150% mortgage increases.
    And if we were and recognised the problem would probably be too ashamed to go outside let alone carry on in that role.

Exactly. That's where the Schadenfreude comes from
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    MP can't manage a £2k mortgage on £6k a month and yet these are people we are allowing to make decisions that impact the whole country? What the actual fuck.

He should learn to cook, buy value/own brand food when shopping and find a better paid job.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Man who supported Leopard Eats Face Party shocked when leopard started eating his face as well.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..

• Johnny Harris on the war industry; the shady part of Big Business and their involvement in the arms race and modern warfare. Part1/2

• Part2/2

• Interview of Naomi Klein by Ash Sarkar.

Interesting commentary on our discourse to the far right.
  • Fairly vitriolic hit-piece on enshittification at Google and (seemingly) one of the prime instigators of such: https://www.wheresyoured.at/the-men-who-killed-google/

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!