A thread for the pets
  • Not been in here for a while, excellent pictures all. And those kittens are ridiculous, I want several of them!

Everyone remember tibbs? When me and the ex split, him and Dougie were rehomed, as she couldn't handle both of them and the baby, which I understand. Wasn't possible to bring him with me, as Toby would a: kick fuck out of him, and b: potentially make him sick - Toby's an outdoor cat, tibbs was only ever vaccinated for indoor life. My younger brother (not Gav) agreed to take him, so he didn't end up going to who knows where.

Anyway. Yesterday i put a deposit down on a lease for my own place. And I intend to bring tibbs back to live with me there. Looking for opinions - Craig's had tibbs for almost as long as I ever had him (about a year each). His Mrs grudgingly agreed to take him on at the time (she's not a cat person, was scared of them since childhood), but she's kinda warmed to him now. Although, she said if/when he goes, she doesn't want another cat, so I think she still just tolerates him, rather than enjoys having him.

Am I being selfish by taking him back? He's really laid back, and I saw him recently, he definitely remembers me. I know he'll adapt to life with me quickly. It'll just be me and him though, with Cullen staying a few days/nights each week. I got him when he was the size of my fist, so I still view him as 'my cat' but am I letting what I want get in the way of what might be best for him?
  • Hmmmm, I think it depends on whether your bro and his mrs really want to keep him or not.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Tough one. If the Mrs was keen I would've suggested leaving him, but if she's just kinda warmed to him rather than become smitten/besotted then it's a green light imo. If he's an indoor cat it won't be a huge unheaval either.

Edit: if you suggest it and they politely resist that'd be a red light though.
  • I've spoken to Craig about it (he works with me) and the vibe i get is he wants to keep him, while she's just agreeing to keep him. No resistance on his part, when he took him on i did say i intended for it to be temporary, it's just taken a lot longer than expected (financial reasons mainly, if you've seen my shite in the love thread you'll know) to get my shit together.

I mainly want him back so I don't feel as lonely all the time, and it took me years of annoying the ex to finally get a cat, so I'm desperate to have him back.
  • Sounds like delicate negotiations to be had.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Get tibbs to shit on the floor.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Get Gav to shit on the floor and blame Tibbs.
  • Cats are chill so whatever you decide Tibbs will be cool I am sure.
    They arent as clingy as dogs. As long as they are treated well they are happy. In fact outdoor cats generally have multiple humans, the owner is just prime human.
  • I'm staying well out of it. I just want to clap Tibbs again.
  • For purely selfish reasons, ie more photos of Tibbs in this thread*, I vote for stealing him back at the earliest opportunity.

* Although it won't be quite the same if he's not got a Dougie to torment.
  • Depends on your relationship with Craig, I reckon. If the two of you are tight enough to get past any temporary disagreement about Tibbs, then the cat goes with you. For sure. Tibbs is your cat, always has been.
  • poprock wrote:
    Depends on your relationship with Craig, I reckon. If the two of you are tight enough to get past any temporary disagreement about Tibbs, then the cat goes with you. For sure. Tibbs is your cat, always has been.

Not too bad these days. Used to batter lumps out of each other when we were nippers, but get on quite well. Even as his boss (well, not his direct boss, but i do outrank him in the work) we get on well.

It's decided. I'm having him back.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If he argues, sack him.
  • Why not just ask them if they want to keep the cat or if you should take him back, and if they really want to keep him, get another cat?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just say you would like him back but that you wouldn't want to fall out over it.
  • davyK wrote:
    Just say you would like him back but that you wouldn't want to fall out over it.

Honesty is the best policy, aye.

But I’d be firmer than that – it’s not a choice to be made, it’s a thing that is definitely happening.
  • I'd be less firm than that.  He did you a turn taking him in, going in all Who Dares Wins might be a bit much.
  • Timmeh loves his mum
    T5uoblu.jpg
    Not enough to give her the bed to herself though.
    Can-of-sprite
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Such fur.
  • :)
  • Update.

Ah fuck. Craig went home and told his mrs i was ready to take him back. She said that she actually wants to keep him, she's more attached than she'd let on, and her boy's really attached to him as well.

Dunno what to do now.

Any of those kittens going spare?
  • May be time to get a new kitteh.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yeah, sounds like the cat has a good home now. Replace it with half a dozen more.
  • Ach, my rational brain knows i should leave him there. But, my irrational part wants him back badly. Won't go into too much detail (there's plenty in the mental health thread) but i viewed tibbs and Dougie leaving as another one of my failures, had hoped to rectify that in some way by having him back. Suppose it's just another thing i need to let go.

New gaff, new life, new cat and all that jive.

Been looking already, seriously considering hammering my new credit card for a Bengal kitten i just saw online......
  • In difficult times, you found Tibbs and Dougie new homes where they're each loved and cared for. 
    That's anything but a failure in my book.
  • Definitely g.
    I had to leave my brother with the cats we adopted together. They have totally embraced my sister-in-law.
    As long as they are looked after cats are cool.

Try having a dog that moans if you dont put his lead on quick enough.
  • g.man wrote:
    In difficult times, you found Tibbs and Dougie new homes where they're each loved and cared for.  That's anything but a failure in my book.
    this, yup. You've brought joy to another family.

Also, HBJ, is your kid old enough to help you pick a new kitty? That might be a nice thing to have together.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • He's 17 months just now, so still quite young. But, there were cats and dogs in my home growing up my entire life, I don't want him to miss out on that. He recently got a wee canary at his mum's house, but that's not the same. If he's anything like me and his uncles he'll be animal daft, he loves sonny, and is really curious about toby, although Toby's scared of him and fucks off whenever he sees Cullen.

• Also, HBJ, is your kid old enough to help you pick a new kitty? That might be a nice thing to have together.

Lovely idea.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!